Home Technical Talk

Import multiple images as layers in photoshop?

I often work in 2048x2048 documents and have to select multiple reference images/bake maps and bring them into the document. Is there a way to select multiple images and have them brought in as separate layers within the document I am currently working in? Image size etc doesn't matter as I can select/cut/resize whatever I want it's just tedious having to copy and paste so many separate images in to the same doc as layers.

Also every time I open a document I get asked whether I want to convert it to adobe rgb 1998 mode which I always want. Would I need to make an action for this? I'm using CS4.

Replies

• StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    well its not really what you asked for but what i tend to do is open all the needed documents and then just ctr+alt drag from the source document to the new document (directly from canvas to canvas). It's definetly a bit faster than copy and paste.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    or is it ctrl+shift? yes it is .. sorry :) Better use ctrl+shift it will keep the position of the layer
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with cs4 you can drag / drop from Windows exploder & browsers into an open doc, and it comes in as a new layer above the currently selected layer

-N!
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm...that doesn't seem to work for me, I select the images from explorer and drag them into photoshop and it just opens a dialogue to assign a profile and each image opens as a new doc :S
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, thats strange, its changed my image workflow at home. Im at work atm and stuck using sc2 (which does it also), but Ill check my settings at home and see if its an option thats burried in the preferences somewhere.

-N!
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. I did have a quick look through the preferences but couldn't find any options related to this.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In CS4: File > Scripts > Load files into stack...

Dunno if it was there in previous versions though (for anyone else reading this).

Edit: so after testing this, it actually creates a new file and then puts all the images in layers there. Easy to copy over though.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Mechadus wrote: »
    with cs4 you can drag / drop from Windows exploder & browsers into an open doc, and it comes in as a new layer above the currently selected layer

-N!

hmm this doesnt happen for me. Im using cs4, and when I drag an image into PS from explorer it opens it up in a new tab.
    I have to shift drag from 1 tab to another, and its annoying because it aint instant... to drag something onto a new tab you have to hold your mouse on top of the tab you want to drag it to for like 1-2 secs.

I also cant seem to disable tabs. I go to preferences>interface>untick "open docs as tabs" but it does nothing at all :s
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i seem to remember being able to import images into imageready(don't know if this is part of cs4 or not)as an animation.....then export the whole thing as a psd.
  • Snakebit_Samurai
    Actually, it's really simple. Open Bridge and select all the files you want to open.

Tools menu --> Photoshop --> Load files into Photoshop Layers

It creates a new file in Photoshop and opens all the files as layers

Damn. Make me register just to tell you people things. :)