Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jedi Starfighter

Replies

• philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never showed the baked here version here but it looked very flat, like the normals had no depth to them. Some places also showed stuff like geometry poking through where there wasn't any in the original, artifacts from smoothing and some other things. It just looked much nicer to paint the normals by hand.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    openingbattle30118rb.th.jpg

He is in my behind
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should've watched Episode III again before I started, not only is this ship on the cover of the DVD box, but it plays huge part in the movie. The first like 8 minutes of the movie is all this ship, then it shows up in maybe 3 more scenes.

Anyway I added decals and some dirt.

starfighterlores20.th.jpg starfighterlores23.th.jpg
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not even finished yet and it's already been through a battle!

starfighterlores22.th.jpg starfighterlores23.th.jpg
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interior normal maps done:

starfighterlores25.th.jpg starfighterlores26.th.jpg
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, just about done!:

starfighterlores27.th.jpg starfighterlores28.th.jpg
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely coming along, nice! The only thing really getting to me is that the normal map seems to be carrying all the weight of the damage while the diffuse still looks relatively clean. One thing that helps me is in PS have your normal layer sitting over you diffuse layer and drop the opacity of the normal layer to about 20 - 30 and then using it as a guide draw underneath on the diffuse where the scars and battle marks are. Some darkening where the normals are would really pop them out and you can even paint some really nice laser blast marks.

Lookin' nice though, keep it coming :)
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. 3D Coat has cavity painting, so there's not much need to go into Photoshop. The only time I did so far was to place the "decal" type images as it was a little easier for positioning them, then right back to 3D Coat. 3DC has a feature that's similar to zbrush's "zapp link" where I can hit a button and my textures appear in Photoshop, then I make the edits, then hit Save in Photoshop and the textures are automatically updated in 3DC. I considered using some diffuse, but the color maps seem to be handling it. I'll dirty up those cavities some more. :)
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I had to take some time off from this to do some paying work, but now I'm back. Here's the latest.

starfighterlores31.th.jpg starfighterlores32.th.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    You have a really great model, great high poly and modelwise it's well executed. BUt your textures keep behind the quality of your model.

imho there are too much scratches, or at least the scratches are much too deep. The scratches you have there give the impression this fighter is really heavily plated with armor. The deep scratches communicate, that this fighter was under very heavy fire.

SO waht I want to say is: Any projectile ripping such deep scratches into a hull would rather destroy a light armored fighter like we have here.

But design whise this fighter is supposed to be agile, light, fast and imho somehow vuinerable.

Oh and some of the scratches seem to fit to a industry-vehicles. SOme scars just look like they where caused by lazy handling in the hangarbay or like the fighter was on duty in a Mining-Colony or what ever.

So it's obvious that a cool fighter needs scratches from previous battles, but how about reducing their depth? I'd maybe think about doing most of the scratch work in your diffuse an specular and reduce the scratchiness in you nm.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, I'm not sure if it was you on another forum or someone else, but I heard almost exactly the same thing about the scratch depth before, so I reduced the depth on the scratches layer to 75% long before posting these images.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I completely repainted the hull plating depth. Less jaggies and solved a few other problems.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not even sure something like this would be scratched at all. The metal might be dented, but then, they would fix it pretty quick as any minor scratch could detrimentally effect its performance.

The paintwork would be imbeded or whatever they do to it to make sure it dont come of that easily, if its important, as in identification markings.

The only weathering I think something like this might have is fading of the bright colours, (those parts that have been exposed to the sunlight the most). Perhaps some worn edges around the cockpit(pilot usage), and other unimportant areas(not the edges of the wings or the main form).

What is the obessesion with scratching and dirtying everything to make it more real?

Just found this pic I dont know if it might help you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Spitfire_mk2a_p7350_arp.jpg

Perhaps you could have repair patches, slight wear around the bolts and joins etc. Even if its an old vehicle they would do there best to keep it in good nic.

I dont think R2 D2 is to scale, he looks as big or bigger than a normal size human.
  • jstier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that model. Any chance that I could borrow it for a while to showcase it in my game engine www.geist3d.com
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No if you watch the movie there is plenty of scratching. I'm aiming for whatever the movie looks like. These guys are in the middle of a war, I doubt they have time to be repairing every dent and ding in their vehicles or spending the time and money to make these utilitarian devices really fancy. It's not a sports car, it's a humvee.

Why people want 3D to look realistic is a whole different topic.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I saw the clip and it doesnt look that realistic, its the prequels.

The scratching on that image isnt even logical, a flat surface is worn away before the corners and edges.

I just dont remember seeing any ww2 vehicles as badly dinged up as these prequel ships.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling it done, here's some nice screenshots.

starfighter3quart.th.jpg starfighter3view.th.jpg starfighter3viewwings.th.jpg starfighterinterior.th.jpg
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    you should add some DOF to the stars in the background to make it seem more.. in the background. looks great though :) congrats
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting idea. The stars are really just a photo from Hubble, I just wanted to have something other than blackness.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Those wings are too thin to fit Artoo...
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I said when following my original reference art several years ago. Later I discovered more art that has something under there.