Home Technical Talk

3d max - a couple of questions and problems

Hi guys, I'v got a couple of problems in 3d max. Could you help me?
(sorry for english)

1. 'Snap Vertex' - this tool doesn't work pretty often - why? It's very annoying :/
asdsdddd.jpg

2. 'Chamfer' - when I use this tool on elongated object it doesn't work properly, please look here:
sdasdasdadd.jpg

3. Material Editor - I use 'Multi/Sub-object' and I have 5 Sub-Materials there, Is it possilby easly to divide them into 5 separated Standard materials?

4. Selecting object - when I want to select the closest object in my Viewport (perspective), 3d max very often selects further objects first, and quite often it's impossible to select the object at all that I want, and I have to turn, rotate viewport and try it again -that's really annoing :// - Do you have the same? Is it possilbe to do sthg with this?

Thats all for now, thanks for help.

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    1. Check the "Options" tab, at the bottom, and make sure "Use Axis Center As Start Snap Point" is selected.

2. if you've scaled your object at all, and have not reset x-forms, any tool you use will also be scaled the same amount.

3. go to the multi-sub overview area (where you can see all 5 materials) click & drag from the ball/name in the multisub to empty balls in the material editor.

4. uh. . . dunno dude. If you're in sub-object mode, it will often do this while trying to select polys or verts, but you can turn on "ignore backfaces" to help. I'm not really sure about entire objects. I seem to remember seeing this way back when, but haven't had it happen in a while (what version of max are you running?)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) On the options tab of the Snaps menu, check on Use "Axis Center As Start Snap Point". Otherwise it will snap from your mouse position, near useless.

2) Not sure how to fix that, I don't use chamfer in those cases, almost always use connect. But the few times I have it works as you expect... wonky...

3) You can drag/drop materials out of a multi-sub but you can only apply them to separate objects otherwise it will just instance them into a multi-sub again.

4) Yep very annoying especially when selecting more then one stacked object. If you're just selecting one object, you can continue to click in the same spot and it will cycle through the layers of objects.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks a lot for help.
    I have 3d max 2009 64b (and 3d max 9 before) - and problem with selecting objects still exist. (2 years ago I used Maya and there wasn't completly any problem with this).
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerbeiter wrote: »
    Cool, thanks a lot for help.
    I have 3d max 2009 64b (and 3d max 9 before) - and problem with selecting objects still exist. (2 years ago I used Maya and there wasn't completly any problem with this).

This seems to be 'by design' in max. I also really prefer the maya behavior.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    1) On the options tab of the Snaps menu, check on Use "Axis Center As Start Snap Point". Otherwise it will snap from your mouse position, near useless.

I've seen that brought up a bunch of times but I've never had that on and I've never had a problem. I've been doing arch vis for almost 5 years now so obviously vertex snap is very important to my work flow. if you turn on display marker, move your mouse over the vert you're moving and move it until the marker shows on the target vert it should be fine, without that option enabled. the mouse doesn't even have to be perfectly on top of it, just enough so that you don't deselect the vert when you click to move. Only difference I seem to notice is it gives me a sort of pivot snap as well.

OH, but I should point out I don't leave my transform gizmo active, I set my axis with the shortcut keys if I want to constrain to a single axis which is probably why it works for me.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've always had a hell of a time getting vertex snap to work, even with "Axis Center As Start Point" turned off. I have 3D Snap turned on, and I'm trying to snap in the Perspective viewport - snapping stuff like the pivot point to a vertex, or a vertex to a vertex, just never works for me.
    I wish I knew why, since it seems to be ok for other people!
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I seem to read that all the time. I wish I could see it in action and try on that person's machine. Like I said though, maybe never having the control gizmo active and using the keyboard shortcuts to set my axis unless i'm using 2 has something to do with it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember for a long time I couldn't get snaps to work, I thought everyone that could, was nuts and using some kind of voodoo vortex. I remember playing with it for a few hours (max 9) and got it to work.

In the end I was pretty sure the only thing I did different from default was turn on "use axis center as start snap point". Since then its always worked after turning on 3D snaps. Not sure if some setting has carried over or not...

I just played around with it trying to break it. The only way I found was to turn on "Use Axis Constraints".

MattW, manually managing the axis constraints? I just grab the selection in the viewport and move it toward the snap point and it normally catches fine. Sometimes I'll toggle off the gizmo (x) so I don't grab an axis by accident.

Oh, I also use the snaps toolbar (which is hidden by default) to select which type of snap, instead of the right click pop-up menu. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not...

About selection: Yea drives me bat sh!t nuts. After all these years you would think they could come up with a system that selects what's under the mouse. So far the best mouse select system I've seen is in Hammer. Too bad the rest of the editor is a pig...
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i absolutely hate the order in which max lets you select objects! Its the most retarded thing ever. It ALWAYS selects the further most object instead of the mesh right in front of your mouse. you spend half your day clickity clicking to cycle to the FRONT object or constantly pressing f3 to go to wireframe so you can select the edge of the object you want. wtf?! lol
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I've been using vertex snap extensively in the last few weeks especially, and I haven't had any major issues, unless I was too far away, and the things I wanted to snap to were too close (less than 20 pixels)

Here's my settings:
    3742146757_5a818f270b_o.jpg

I think that the more types of snaps you turn on (vertex, edge, midpoint, etc.) the more complicated and bigger pain in the ass it becomes. I tend to keep them all off, and ONLY turn on the ones I'm using at the moment.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysterama - I agree.. the order in which max lets you select objects is the most f.... and annoying thing ind 3d max
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    I just played around with it trying to break it. The only way I found was to turn on "Use Axis Constraints".

MattW, manually managing the axis constraints? I just grab the selection in the viewport and move it toward the snap point and it normally catches fine. Sometimes I'll toggle off the gizmo (x) so I don't grab an axis by accident.

I actually always have 'Use Axis Contraints' on. Which is probably why I tend to keep my gizmo off. I should point out I do a lot of work in front, left, top ortho viewports since I work a lot from autocad blueprints. By manually managing mine I mean exactly what you said, use (x) and keep it off, and just switch between x and y in view space. If I have to go to a User view, z as well. If i'm switching a lot, I'll turn the gizmo back on, but like you said, if I only want x, sometimes it's easier to turn it off and be sure I won't grab y.

Here's my settings if you're interested:

snapl.jpg
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Please Autodesk, rip out Maya's snap code and stick it into Max, kthxbye.