Home General Discussion

If you had to estimate...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
I'm really interested in how long it takes some of you guys to complete a project and how you go about estimating how much time it will take you.

I know in order to estimate something you need specifics so...

If I were to ask you to do a Nex Gen (Normal Mapped) model of the Queen Alien from the alien movies and have it textured and ready to be rigged/exported to Unreal how long would you estimate this project would take you?

I know this model is very complex, but that's the point, given a project that has many unknown variables and potential new challenges how exactly do you go about estimating how long it will take?

Any other other examples from projects you have worked on in the past are welcome as well. I am really just looking for general advice on scheduling and trying to see what kind of standards/thought processes there are regarding this subject.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is how we break our environment tasks down at Relic:

1. Concept artist concepts an over arching image of the environment as a whole.
    2. From that concept, we dissect it to come up with an asset list of objects needed in order to achieve said environment.
    3. That list is prioritized from "BIGGEST IMPACT" to least impact.
    4. From there each artist puts down how many days they believe it will take them to model, texture, create damage states, setup for Havok and/or rigging for each asset they'll be working on.
    5. We then begin to work on our assets from the biggest impact to the least impact.
    Generally its 1 artist per environment. And by artist I mean someone like me who pushes polys & pixels. There's generally 1 other person on the environment with us who's job is to dress the world, work on terrain, and get started on lighting.

Hope this helps.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the same discussion:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8592

consensus ended up being about 2-3 weeks. Depending on if you can kit bash.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Adam,

It's really interesting to hear about the process at relic. However, I am also wondering how someone would respond in a specific situation where they are facing a large project that has many unknowns and they need to provide an estimate, and what exactly that estimate would be.

I suppose my question is as much as about the process as it is the actual time it takes people to make art. There are so many parts of the process that consume time and make a project take longer, and I'm just curios what peoples experience has taught them about scheduling and what are some reasonable expectations for some of these complex projects like non-human creatures.

This seams to really become a particular issue when your doing freelance work.

@Dekard: Thanks for the link that pretty much covers what I was asking

But if anyone else has any other tidbits of wisdom they wish to bestow please don't' hold back ^_^
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Turn10 does things the same as Relic.
    Concepts > Discussion > Asset list > Estimates > Prioritize

Only difference with Turn10 is the nature of their environments means more people are required to work on them. Usually it's the main lead, working with 1-3 production artists in-house, then off-site teams (no clue how many artists they had). Though the leads are often in charge of several levels each, so they don't get to do a ton of work on any one environment.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Boss monster? Secondary character?

3-4 weeks.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably break it up like so, assuming 1 work week is five 6-hour days (30 hours work), and assuming I had good concept art / image reference / model sheets already assembled to work from:

Highpoly: 1 work week
    Lowpoly/UV/Bake Normals & AO: 1 work week
    Texturing: 1 work week

I say these times because of the following - an asset like the alien queen doesn't really have any hard surface stuff which can be more time consuming than organic surfaces to model (since you could do this all in ZBrush, potentially even start from a base mesh of zspheres to save more time). I would maybe up this estimate to 2 weeks if it was a "hero asset" or intended to be used in close-up cinematics etc. since you'd need to put in a lot more detail and make everything really clean.

A week for all lowpoly work, then UVs, and finally baking good normals and AO is maybe a little high, especially if you start from your "base mesh" and optimise it down. It would depend on how well your bakes went - assuming you didn't run into any issues this step could probably be done in 3-4 working days. I'm basically rolling this up with any buffer time to fix unforeseen issues with either the highpoly or lowpoly at this stage.

Texturing an asset like this probably wouldn't take all that long purely because if you have a good bake of AO and normals, you can grab a crazybump pass for the highlights/shadows on edges, overlay a few simple noise/dirt textures to get a decent base over the flat colour, then start painting in detail where necessary. The alien queen is a pretty consistently coloured and detailed creature, so there's really not much variation to consider. Again the time estimate for this would depend on how detailed it needed to be and how big the textures were. I'm assuming around a 2048x2048 texture sheet.

Then again, that's just me. Some other artist might estimate the same and produce something twice as good as I could manage, or others might estimate a week more and produce something mediocre.

Edit: Also, doesn't really hold any "unknown variables" for me, so I feel fairly confident in those estimations, assuming you want a quality, triple-A game asset out of it in the end.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I feel like I could bang it out in 35 hours or so. Probably an extra 10 if I wanted it real real polished like.

Revisions are where ya get killed on time frames though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    35 hours for highpoly, lowpoly, unwrap & texture? Sounds pretty ambitious to me :)
    That's basically 6 working days... the alien queen... are you sure? :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    always double your initial estimation!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ummm,

I could get a base mesh in 5 hours. Sculpt for 15. Retopo in 6 or so. Unwrap in another 5 or 6. Do all the maps in another 10.

Ok, so more into the 40+ side of things.

Still, to me, that doesn't seem unrealistic.

Still, to add a big "HOWEVER," I never get the awesome detail into my models that you get into yours MoP. Maybe I just don't spend enough time on my work.

EDIT: also, that's kinda if this was a personal project. If I was working for someone, you can bet it would take longer as I fix according to their notes.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it really does depend on the level of detail you're shooting for. If you didn't want to go all crazy Gears of War sort of detail on the highpoly, you could probably finish it in half the time, if not less... but it wouldn't be awesome :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Yeah, I'd say 2 - 3 weeks, less time if you can kit bash anything (stock hands, ears, feet, etc.) I really like to spend a lot of time on my textures and sometimes will spend as much time on them as I would sculpting, though usually a bit less. It changes depending on the character, obviously, but I'd say you can easily get a base mesh done in 1 day, 3 - 4 days sculpting / high , 2 - 3 days low poly model unwrapped, 3 - 4 days texturing, 1 - 2 days for rigging and polish

Mop, 30 hour work weeks!? I want to work with you, hehe :)

Gav
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'd assume you have to tack on at least 10 hours of meetings per week as well gav :P
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Some of you are fast as hell XDDD

2 weeks minimum for a decent work (included weekends and working more than 12 hours per day).

If you include revisions, tweaks... i'd say more time. And QUALITY = more time. A model done from a simple base mesh, can be done faster, no doubt. Zbrush does magic with an ugly box.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hehe, that's true, forgot about that :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I'd assume you have to tack on at least 10 hours of meetings per week as well gav :P

what the fuck!!! ive heard of companies that procrastinate, but a quarter of a week, yer shittin me
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Probably a couple days...

Also people almost always under-estimate.

Probably 4 weeks to be rigged and in-game and forgotten
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Gav, it's our in-house "safe bet" for work, given that of an 8-hour work day, chances are that something or another will distract you or otherwise take away your attention from the main task for at least an hour or two per day! :)
    I would probably try to achieve the same sort of thing at home, though, assuming I was a pure freelancer.

Edit: Also, since jocose originally said "ready to be rigged/exported", I haven't included any sort of rigging or exporting time in my estimates (as some others seem to have). I'm just assuming that I hand off a textured, normal-mapped lowpoly model.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow, more like 10 to 15 days I feel as a freelancer. its hard to tell without going through the specs/requirements
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I didn't literally mean that time as all meetings hahaha, other shit does come up though, course! (man that would suck if it was literally 10hrs of meetings a week.. I have like maybe 2?)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    2 weeks should be easy ..
    It depends on the model! the alien queen has finished concepts and references. The highpoly doens't need any time consuming hard surface work and the texture would be pretty simple. Only one material, nearly black...

e: and no fur, I HATE fur/hair/feathers! The fucking cat at dominancewar took ages!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    2 weeks.

Interesting that most time estimations are about the same.^^
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ready to be rigged or fully rigged?
    Exporting implies animations are ready to go as well? Or where you thinking as a immovable test prop?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I think 2 weeks is doable.

btw aesir, off topic but google chrome thinks your portfolio is dangerous :p

"The website at www.artofscottjonsson.com contains elements from the site updatedate.cn, which appears to host malware - software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer."
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ah bloody hell, how the fuck did that happen.

I was planning to take it offline anyways for a much needed overhaul. I'll just light it on fire when I get home.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Ready to be rigged or fully rigged?
    Exporting implies animations are ready to go as well? Or where you thinking as a immovable test prop?

I was thinking ready to be rigged, but not yet rigged. So I guess an immovable test prop with the potential to be animated later. Because the rig is an entire other factor (that is dependent on the types of animations) so I didn't want to introduce it and muck up peoples answers.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Some of you are fast as hell XDDD

2 weeks minimum for a decent work (included weekends and working more than 12 hours per day).

So... Using any sort of normal method for estimating time(8 hour days, 5 days a week), your two weeks is actually about a month. And thats being generous, 6 hour days are more realistic as mop says.

=P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    3 weeks

Quality takes time. :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all the responses. It's great to see all the thought processes and actual estimates.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Interesting model. I worked a bit on Alien:Colonial Marines and If you want to have a kickass Alien Queen Highpoly (more complexe model than you think !) you should save more or less two week for it (including revisions/tweaks, etc). Depending of your planing of course, but if you have some times, just use it. There are still some undifined/not so well documented part on this creature that you'll have to discuss about and maybe try some options. Retopo/Uvs/Normal-AO backing shouldn't take more than 3 or maximum 4 days. The texturing is using some interesting color variation but the Alien is pretty much made of the same material all around, this should help to speed up the process a bit. Let's say 5 days.

Between 3 and 4 weeks to have really cool looking model for me. But Once again, it's the Alien Queen, not a puppy...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    So... Using any sort of normal method for estimating time(8 hour days, 5 days a week), your two weeks is actually about a month. And thats being generous, 6 hour days are more realistic as mop says.

=P

Yep, it could be a month easily, but i think that's working on a studio, relaxed. Being freelance we are asked to make things faster, we work for hours.

This reminds me some studios (publicity) asking me to have a model in 2-4 days (they contact me in a friday, and they say: for tuesday as too late, can you?). If you can't do the job, job you lose.

Long time ago, i accepted a work, one model, one week (7 days)... and it was the worst experience in my life XD, full of stress and working more than 12 hours per day. It wasn't a normal mapped model, but it had its time, because the job was a detailed subdiv model for animation (teeth included) + sculpting for details + shading & texturing + morphs targets... ready for the TD/animator.

A really polished model could be easily more than 1 month of work. In Gran Turismo, it's a car... and they spent more than 2 months.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    6-8 hours a day 5 days week rule still stand, even as freelancer, and no studio work isn't more relaxed, you just have to deal with retarded decisions and egotastic assholes more often than while freelancing, which makes you waste time and stay up to 6 am because a guy that knows nothing decided to change something that, since you're at the end of the chain, forces you to redo everything, without any deadline change.

basically your 12 hours workday, 7 days a week is very dangerous because this is the maximal limit your body could handle on a long term contract (let's say 3/4 months) then, you burn out, start to do shit and lose everything as if you were a wow addict, one rule we were taught at my school about managing time is that a task always takes 20% more time than scheduled, even (especially) if they already include these extra 20%.

as mop said, that 6 hours thing is a safe frame and if you put that rule next to it, you'll notice it's respected, the job will probably take 8 hours, maybe 10 depending on how fast the guy is, how disturbed he is while working if a freelancer (groceries, wife, kids, friends, anything that can distract him)
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Some really great information here I feel. I get the impression I rush any work I do now looking at how long peoples estimates are on this piece.

Any chance could get some more estimates for working on environmental stuff in the work place. For example, a facade building for a first person game with a distribution of street assets near it. Wish I could be more exact, but anything environmental really.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vahl : I feel you, man :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no character artist, but just for fun:

4 days high(1 day base mesh, 3 sculpt?), 2 low, 1 uv, 1 bake, 3 texture, + 2 days slack = 13 days or 2-3 weeks
    Personally i think its doable in 2 weeks if you're focused. That is of course under perfect conditions without needing major reworking for the client. Otherwise the timeline of about 3 weeks most people are using is very safe/accurate.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Wow. You guys are fast(er than me). :P
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ : 3 days for a complete sculpted model of the Alien Queen with all the details, etc. seems a bit optimistic.
    Not sure of the topic, though. Are we talking about a rushed production with tight constraint conditions or a more relax/quality-focused one ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right its hard to say, those were just first guess numbers, and there is time in there for slack etc, the HP could take longer and the texture could take less. Like i said 3 weeks would be safe. =)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just wanted to chime in and say this is a really good thread.
    As a person who just started freelancing I was wondering how long it took people to do things, and I would guess around 3 weeks also (give or take a few days) for me. I would probably spend nearly half my time sculpting, but the texturing would be pretty easy since the bake would give you most your texture details for an alien queen.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah EQ I think your 3 day estimate for sculpting the alien queen might be a bit optimistic :)
    You know what she looks like, yeah?