Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1940's jeep

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    nice bake, the only things that really jump out are the hard edges on the sides of the tires and the edge of the rope on the front bumper could use a few more poly's for the silhouette
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF: Those tyre edges are supposed to be hard actually, if you look at the highpoly.

wester: If you give this a really nice texture pass, I think it will be a super awesome portfolio piece. The bakes came out nicely.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The 3/4 shot is rockin', but the front shot seems kinda boring. Course it's still untextured and all, so i'm probably jumping the gun on the criticism. Just had a wild idea, you could have spiderwebs covering the front of the grill, maybe even have a spider on it. If the headlight was on you could have the spiders sillhouette cast on a wall or something, that'd look kinda earrie, just a thought, a wild impractical thought. Ok I'm going to stop now.

Very impressive bake though, lookin' forward to more.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    ah, so they are, ignore me then.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    wester wrote: »
    At this point i feel like my portfolio should do nothing but showoff.

Absolutely, you have no limits on portfolio stuff aside from your own limitations. You've got the skill, so your only limitation is the time you want to spend on it.

One suggestion for the jeep, make a banged version of it. not sure if you were planning to do this in the first place, but i think it'll help make it more awesomer. (though less original, kids these days make everything mashed and dirty..)
  • acidrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Nice job.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for the nice crits guys. This is helping me out alot.

MOP: yeah i hope i can really give that jeep a nice texture pass.

crazyfingers: The spider is a good idea, but not for my project. I'm going for the more indiana jones look, not so much eerie as cool. It's an ancient alien races temple, so it wont be so much eerie as alot of "ooos and aaaahs".

Here's alittle update.

The jeep is just basic colors right now. The crates are literally just wood textures. I'm going to add some "grunge" and story to them tomorrow. The idol is for the most part finished. I wanted to make it look like an ancient alien race with the two sets of eyes and what not. The idol is going to set the look and feel of the whole temple, so i have to get it right.

I don't want to make the jeep green (army) because it's supposed to be more of a safari jeep than an army jeep. So i decided to go with a tan color.

jeeptest2.jpg

idol.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    looking good wes, I would suggest further pushing some difference in the stone of the idol to make some parts pop out more than others. lots of the cool details are getting a little lost when it is that small in the scene.
  • PureWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modelling is looking solid, the first pass on the textures looks good
    Im not a fan of the solid color glow maybe try to make it look like a gem or something
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purewall: yeah tha'ts a problem i've had in the past. good idea. i'll fix that for sure.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    turning out awesome!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I thought your idol would be bigger, and i'm not trying to be dirty
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll make my idol as big as you want P4

bazinga
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the finished idol. I might mess with his gems abit more to make them look alittle more fossilized than they already look.

finalizedidol.jpg

Here are my crates with some story to em.

crates.jpg

Here's the page layout and design for my portfolio i'm taking to GDC with this mini scene in it.

Idolpg1.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' better and better.

Self illumination looks a bit high on the statue gems right now though, unless you wanted to bake some light blue lighting into the rest of the statue, which would look really cool.

I'd suggest either toning down the self illumination, or make it so parts of the statue are iluminated by the glowing stones. You could put omni lights where the stones are and bake that lighting into the diffuse and self illumination channels (you'd probably want to do lots of falloff on the lights).

Or you could go the easy way and just paint circlular areas of illumination around the gems with a brush directly onto the maps...

Anyway, enough nit picking, everything else looks kick arse.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LANTERN!!

it's a lantern

lantern.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking great man! The jeep is spot on. The updated crates look pretty sweet as well, but the boards going horizontally across the lid piece seem to be really shiny or something. I really like the artifact but I dont think it fits into the scene very well in its current state. It has so much blue to it that it really sticks out among all the warm colors of the wood, straw, jeep, etc. Maybe try making a quick texture variation with more of a red/brown color and see how that looks. Here is a example http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/2102/PreviewComp/SuperStock_2102-1338.jpg

Keep up the great work!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, well this is sort of a small scene...that will eventually be of a bigger scene. I'm doing the mini scene for GDC

the idea is that these explorers discovered the temple of an ancient alien race here on earth. So i wanted the alien pieces to look alien, and feel alien with cool colors and what not, and the human stuff to look human, with warm colors. Once i make my little diarama thing it should (hopefully haha) read better.

within the mini scene im' going to have other pieces of alien rock kind of being fosilized by earth rock.

it looks cool in my head anyways :D

but yeah, i'll adjust the wood on that lid. i see what you're talking about.

thanks for the love
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the nails on the crate look a little too big, based on the size of the crate next to the jeep, but otherwise looks great
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the miniscene so far.

The jeep's textures are still very WIP. It's taking alot longer than i thought it would. So i'm going to try to finish it up today.

the actual ground itself still needs some work. I'm going to add alot more "alien detail" to the center of the stone formation poking out of the ground...to sort of show that it belongs to the idol.

I'm thinking of adding some folliage as well, to ground some of the rocks and stuff.

I'm also thinking of adding some smaller props....like tools, equipment, etc. to make it look more lived in.

jeeptest.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good wes...

but for you spending all your time making a great HP jeep why is that not the focal point of your scene? Right now the relic is what grabs and holds my attention and it is so small and dark all I see is a black and blue lump in a bright crate. There is too much contrast between the relic rock base, the white straw and the glow from blue gems.

Your jeep just falls into the background as if it was just another rock. You might want to think about tightening up the shot and loading up the relic into the jeep itself. This will allow you to show more details on the jeep and the relic.

Just a thought, also why the color switch on the jeep, thought you didnt want it to be green.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeep textures

So i've decided to make this miniscene abit bigger than i thought. I'm going to be adding some digging tools, and a tent with a table and chairs. Maybe a bigger alien relic or something more alien.

jeep1-2.jpg

jeep2-1.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockin', tires came out great. The rest is definitely on track.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Thats a nice jeep :D loving that render!
    Here is a paint over of what i think it should look like (hope you dont mind). yes, it is really exaggerated, but this being an idol and ancient,you have so much to pay with. you have wear and tear, you have moss/fungal growth,dirt and so many things i cant think of that you could do.Definitely dont like that glow atm though :(
    hs9xyv.jpg

Agree with AC that the jeep isnt the main focus as of now. Maybe a slight angle change would fix that.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i'll fix the glow on the gems then. I've gotten alot of negativity on that. It is too simple i agree. It needs to be abit more complicated.

I love the gem you painted....and the color variation on the idol.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highpoly radio.

I'm going to make a table with a map, a radio, a cluttered bit of rolled up maps, and some digging tools on and around it.

radio.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    the radio looks great ! keep it up !
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not sure what ref your using for the radio but its looking a little to stylized being very soft with very large knobs. in fact if you hadnt said it was a radio I would have never guessed.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Give it some antenna's, or put a nice lookin speaker on it somewhere. Can't hear the radio without some speakers :) Maybe have some batteries next to it, something so we know it's a radio.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be adding headphones..it's not the kind of radio you guys are thinking. It's a communication radio. i'm going to be adding a couple smaller radio receivers and what not. Probably no antenna.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some progress on the radio's and stuff. I'm going to have some rolled up maps in a pile next to the table...and this isnt the final position of the radios. I"m going to move them around abit when i'm done with the bakes.

I'm probably going to add one more vertical radio to the right of these abit....i found a cool picture of one online from WWII.

I'm also getting some sweet ideas from the indiana jones trilogy. that's right.....trilogy.

radio-1.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what i have so far. I wish i had UT3 to put this in instead of rendering out of Max. But it'll be fine if i decide to continue this into a full scene.

jeepdiorama.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great Wes, great alien relic scene going on.

Still with the stones the gems are just boring solid colors, the stone themselves are two plain with being only one color and the jeep needs more character to it.

Also the ground dosnt fit at all, all these alien statues and some perfect man made looking tile ground? dosnt make sense at all. Go dirt, hole in the ground where they dug something up or alien rocks.

You need to either buy UT3, got to school and put this in UT or come over and just grab UT from me. Will make your work so much more impressive to have this in an actual environment.

Looking great though :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    NICE!!!

for some reason it looks like a miniature though. Probably cuz of the background and the way it's currently lit.

I like the new large relics!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinkin' the same thing, pope, kinda looks like a miniature. But not really a bad thing per say. I think it might be the large statues doing it for some reason, i dunno. I have the same problem in max renders, they start looking small, might be the way max does lighting.

The blue stones kinda throw me off, in the alien statues and on the flooring. The boxes and the jeep have a nice harmony, and the statue rightfully pops out. But i think the material of the stones and statues is kinda throwing things off. Might want to move it more towards a grayish-green.

Personally i'd REALLY like to see some spiderwebs in there, i think they'd really add a cool element to the scene. and wouldn't be too hard to add in, just some planes with a simple spider texture.

Keep on truckin', looken better ever time.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Diggin it man. This is coming together very nicely. With the larger relics it does almost seem like a miniature.

I like the jeep the best still. I believe that turned out the best. Great work. Keep it up.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice job wes :) This is beggin' to be brought into Unreal
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IKNOW!!! i just have to get a copy from Jin.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You fail at getting things off the Transfer drive Wes, its up there every day
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you suck at finishing things on time autocon

SICK BURN!!!

bazinga

:)
    love yah
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    wester wrote: »
    you suck at finishing things on time autocon

This is true! He's sitting next to me looking at the material browser with a confused and tired look.