Home Technical Talk

NEWBIE NEEDS / WILL NEED LOTS OF HELP!!!

Hi, New to modelling, game making, and Maya... oh.. and new to Polycount!

So.. Ive got alot of dull questions for all you clever people to help me with:

Before I begin, and without giving too much away about my game, my project involves a character... and they are in a room... um... well that all you need to know actually! ha ha!!

1. So Im modelling in Maya, and using Unity as an engine.

2. Ive made the room, but having REAL probs texturing it.

Predominately Im tiling a wallpaper texture around the room. Now on some walls its fine, on others the texture appears sideways, on others upside down. So I realise that this is to do with how the room was modeled.
So.. I pop off to try this projection thang... seems to work initially, or in theory.. except Maya crashes...when I put it in high quality... after ALOT of experimentation I discover that its NOT projected materials that crash Maya, but materials that are set to NONE projection! But only in Hight Quality... So I remove them and try using ONLY projected materials (at least I have a gizmo to tweak the textures over multiple faces.)
...But then the texture looks blury and...

O GOD... this is just going on and on, and I realise that Im making no sense...

SO... Heres sensible Question:

How do you guys texture a room?
Given that its not just a box, it has modeling (window frames, picture rail and door frames) but is made up of good sensible quads. I am tiling whole areas.

Maybe I need to make a texture map?

How...

Help?

Mark

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You need to learn about UV mapping. This will allow you to use the tiling wall texture all over the place, and everything can be aligned correctly.

The Maya Help covers this. Check out this section of the Help:
    Using Maya -> Modeling -> Mapping UVs -> UV mapping overview -> Introduction to UV mapping

That will explain what you need to know, and has links to tutorials showing how to do it.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    MoP wrote: »
    You need to learn about UV mapping. This will allow you to use the tiling wall texture all over the place, and everything can be aligned correctly.

The Maya Help covers this. Check out this section of the Help:
    Using Maya -> Modeling -> Mapping UVs -> UV mapping overview -> Introduction to UV mapping

That will explain what you need to know, and has links to tutorials showing how to do it.

Yeah, this is what you need to do. Understand how UVs work, and how to use them to your advantage when it comes to texturing. Check out..

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/7618-tutorial-creating-next-gen-environment-setting-maya-photoshop.html

That tutorial has TONS of great info on cheating with UVs and using tiled textures. Give it a read, I guarantee it's worth your time.
  • markfrancombe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... they were REALLY great tutorials, thanks... Some great advice on making the textures themselves... which weirdly is the part of the process that I dont have much fear of, I am an experienced Photoshop user. The part that I'm specifically having trouble with is the IN MAYA part... the actual UV mapping stuff...

(so off to the manual now... tut tut... maybe i should have read there first... you know NOT reading the manual... its a matter of pride!!!)

and I need a fix for my crashing problem.. anyone?
    everytime I switch on high quality in a viewport when the model contains an UN-projected texture (whats that called... when you just add a texture to a material?)

crashes on me EVERYTIME.. and not just a wee restart the app crash .. a full blown, "Hey I give up" freeze the whole damn machine crash...

m.

ps.. i will post pics if i get some success..
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool another Unity user, you post much on the forums?
  • markfrancombe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, not much.. still getting started.. but mucho impressed by Unity so far... I was struggling in Torque for sometime... Unity is just much more... my cup o char...

m
  • markfrancombe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Below is my room.. so far. I want to fix...
    why the wallpaper runs sideways, and why, even tho the same material is applied to the whole floor, the new aditional part that sticks out (will be window) is tiling more. I attatched it at the same time... Now I DO realise that this is to do with UV´s.. and probably I need to understand them... but I just cant get my head round it...
    20090723-ke52dx7dyjccjs7pbhgw7qbbh5.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    where in the help file did you get confused? Could you maybe pull a passage or something that didn't make sense to you?
  • markfrancombe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its not so much that one passage in particular got me confused... I dont think its written very well for NEWBS, but ... its a complicated prog.. I expect some learning curve.
    My problem lies in the fact that Im not getting the results I expect when I try things.
    So thats why my rather general "Help with UVs" thread maybe wasnt so smart.. So here I pose a specific question (or 2 really)

1. look at the floor, see where the carrpet runs out to the extended part. Its tiled many times more than the same texture INSIDE the room. This bit was made by extrusing the edge out (then deleting 2 veteces to get the triangular corners)
    Q: How do I re set the UVs so the whole floor tiles as one?

2. The Wallpaper is tiling sideways. Now I have found many ways to adjust this.. but one wall (not visible from this angle) is oposite to the rest. If I rotate the texture, its rotates too. I thought I could seperately adjust how the material tiles on EACH FACE seperately, but just cant find out how.

+ ISSUES:

Planar map manipulator
    Also WHEN I manage to get a planar map on a face (a whole wall actually, so many faces) and actually DO see the manipulator for the map, I can tweak it... but if I want to rotate it (I hit E or is it R? ) and I lose the manipulator... for ever... cant seem to ever see that one again.. have to RE-apply it.. is that right?

Texture pixallation/blur
    OH, and if I adjust the mapping using the numbers in the settings box to the right, sometimes the texture suddenly looks all pixellated and blurred...
    I HAVE checked hardware texturing settings, doesn't help..
    The high quality switch on my viewport USED to crash the scene (I figured that problem out, there was something wrong with a the wallpaper textures dimentions, when I made it a 256 square it stopped crashing..) however it doesnt help the blurry pixellated look...
    I dont think its my graphics card cant handle it (Im on a MacBookPro with maxed out memory) PLUS I have opened quite complex tutorial scenes with no problem and no blur... so something wrong here...

UV editor
    NOW I suspect that in reality I should completely DUMP this method of texturing, remove all materials and then UNwrap using the UV editor (learn that shit first maybe) That way I can make ripped wallpaper in places, worn carpet with Tea stains..
    Right?
    So I need a good Tutorial for this.. cant find one on the web (except [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfQTdoovFM[/ame] check it out guys... hilarious!!! )

All I was doing was trying to get a feel for my room as I built it...

thanks in advance for your help... sorry if Im being a complete newbish twat... but one day when I produce a masterpiece, you 'all will be able to sit back on the rocking chair on the verandah with a beer.. sigh and say something like..

"I taught him all he knows... I remember him when he was a complete newbie twat.. now look at him!"