Home Technical Talk

Marmoset rendering

Sir Apple
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
Hey all.

I am new here, but with that said I have a few questions/problems with marmoset. So since I can't figure them out, I thought I'd come here :).

I'm using 3ds Max .7

To start off, marmoset is great. And I've seen nothing but great real time renderings come from it. However, I'm stuck on the correct way to use it.

Ok so basically, every time I export the model as an .obj, and it open it in marmoset, then apply material (in this case diffuse map), this happens.

hmmm-1.jpg

Clearly this is incorrect. Before applying the material there is a sort of, cage type thing around the model in areas. On top of this, when I open the model in marmoset, the models figure is distorted. Additonally I am saving the texture sheets out as .tga for marmoset to read.

Here is what I mean. This below is the model, in an average render. So you can see the shaping of it better, as apposed to above.

render1-1.jpg

And, here is my export settings. I imagine this is where the problem is occurring.

I export selected> .obj file type>

1-9.jpg

Anyway, if I didn't explain something clearly please tell me and I'll give it a better go :). Also I have been looking through the master thread, hopefully I'll also find fixes to my problems in that.

Cheers, thanks for reading.

~Apple

Replies

• NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out this thread dedicated to Marmoset, this is also where this should have been posted. :poly124:

First, don't use the default Max .obj exporter, it sucks. Get the appropriate version of this one instead -> http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html
    The site appears to be having some issues atm, but check back soon and I'm sure it will be fine.

This will probably solve most of your problems. That said..

You should be exporting 'Quads' not 'Triangles'.

In Marmoset, your channel model should probably be 'PhongEnvironment', as the readme.txt suggests.

And lastly, your high poly render doesn't help much in this situation, as it appears that you brought your low poly mesh into Marmoset (hard to tell with the texture/geo problems). Show us a render of the model with the texture on it, so that we can tell if there is a UV problem aswell.
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you :).

Also that is not the highpoly, its mid poly (For CE2), meaning there is only one version of the model, same one is shown in both marmoset image and render.

I have no render setup capable of showing anything decent, but here is a bad render. :\

Diffuse only:

1-11.jpg

Also. here is a marmoset render. This was an .obj file done by another Developer. There are quite a few obvious problems, but nonetheless I thought I should show a less then decent RT-render. Anyway, he was doing it wrong I guess to, which would explain the visible errors on the mesh.

1-10.jpg

Cheers,
    Apple