Home Technical Talk

Lazymouse for Photoshop?

Replies

• TheQiwiMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    AWESOME! I'm using it on my workstation at my studio in CS3 and it works PERFECTLY!

This is sooo hawt! Thanks again guys! :D
  • Mizzard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Yeah the new version doesn't work on Photoshop CS4 either anymore... I'll try and get a debug log during lunch.

Haha, that's odd- it works for me in CS4! (Just not with my tablet.)

When I execute lazyNezumi, it automatically flashes a red boarder around the tools panel, then the controls panel, and last the canvas. It functions correctly from then on.

Again, great job with this program! Just wish my tablet would cooperate with it.:\
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Just a quick tip in case anyone didnt know already.

In photoshop you can hold SHIFT while you have the brush tool selected. If you click your mouse around the canvas while holding SHIFT, you'll notice perfectly straight lines will appear. If you hold SHIFT while you tap you tabletpen around the canvas, you'll notice a slightly similar effect, but the brush pressure dsettings degrading along the line. This is a great way to draw perfectly straight lines!

You can also draw perfectly straight horizontal/vertical lines by holding SHIFT right after youve started a stroke with the brush tool.

Anyway, could be some common tricks, but it can never hurt to share these imo :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    I found out what the problem was and fixed it.
    Hopefully you shouldn't have any more problems with attaching to Photoshop windows, even when they are not full screen.
    Also I'm now checking against the window's parent's class name, so it won't attach to all those toolbars anymore.
    The config.ini has entries for Paint and Photoshop CS3. The class names are different in each version of photoshop, so you'll have to attach manually the first time. The window class names will then get saved when you exit LazyNezumi.
    Let me know if you have further problems!
    http://people.happycoders.org/kamih/wordpress/?page_id=46
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Oops, looks like I spoke too soon! Bal let me know it still wasn't working correctly with CS4. Problem solved. I also added the class names for CS4 in the config.ini so you won't have to manually hook it.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    I thought I'd let you know that some users are reporting that LazyNezumi works in Vista if you use "XP SP2 compatibility mode". Until I get it sorted with Vista, that might help some of you.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • rajkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

Im back from my vacation and as promised ive compiled a new version of the lazy mouse. Its now called FunkySmooth after FunkyBunnies who asked me to make it for him.

I have made a new thread for it since i dont want to hijack this thread. And im also hoping for a lot of feedback, therefore it would be easier not to have another program getting feedback in the same post.

You can find the post here.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64587

/rikard
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    kamih wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I thought I'd let you know that some users are reporting that LazyNezumi works in Vista if you use "XP SP2 compatibility mode". Until I get it sorted with Vista, that might help some of you.
    cheers,
    kamih

cool, gonna try this as well:)
  • Temaruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tested it with Gimp and (probably because of my fault) it didn't work. The guide line and circle appeared and worked as they should while I was drawing, but no radius, no noise, no smoothing. Same with the trial version of Corel Painter 11.

Oh, in Gimp I noticed, that the flashing red bounds (which I think indicates where lazynezumi is hooked) were going around randomly, through scroll bars, tool bars, menu bar, but it didn't find the canvas.

With PS CS3 it works great! I'm on XP 32bit.

Excuse me for my English...
  • Temaruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deleting the ini file didn't worked.

I examined Gimp with Spy++, and it seems that the canvas and a lot of other has the same class names 'gdkWindowChild'. However, the handle values are different, so maybe it could be the solution?

I examined Corel Painter too, and there's no class name problem. It just doesn't work.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Temaruk,
    When I have some time, I'll take a look at these two apps and see what I can do.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I just looked at Gimp 2.6, and the problem is like you said, that all its child windows have the same class name "gdkWindowChild", and are all children of the same window "gdkWindowToplevel". I could narrow it down a little further by checking the window styles and extended styles, but it will still hook unneeded windows.
    For me it did hook the canvas window correctly though, and I was able to use LazyNezumi features fine (the guide line and circle get erased a lot though).
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Were you trying with a mouse or a tablet in Gimp?
  • Temaruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Thank you for dealing with my problem! Your application is great! I just showed today my aunt how to use it with PS (and how to use PS :-D), and she was really excited! She works in a museum and makes a lot of archaeological drawings. Now she thinks working in digital medium would be much faster!

I tried it with a cheap Trust tablet, I dunno the model right now, lamps are off, it's dark here, and I'm really tired. I will test the things with the mouse later, and find out the model of my tablet, if it matters.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Don't bother finding the model of the tablet, I don't own any so it won't help.
    Like I said earlier, if it works with your tablet, great, if not, there's not a lot I can do right now.
    I made it work with Painter. It works quite nicely actually, better than in Photoshop; it doesn't have that end-of-stroke-paint-spill problem.
    And I made it work a little better in Gimp, but it's still hooking too many windows. Also, make sure you launch LazyNezumi after Gimp is done loading, the splashscreen messes it up otherwise.
    I'll post the new version later tonight.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    new version (2009.08.02) is up. This adds support for Painter 11, and Gimp 2.6.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • Temaruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

They work great with the mouse. My tablet shucks, and I'm not surprised at that. Hope the apps will work with at least Wacom tablets in the future (now I just need a wacom...).
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is sweet!
    I've been looking for something like this for ages.

Tested on Photoshop CS2/WinXp/Wacom Intuos3
    Works perfectly!

Thankyou!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I have great news for all LazyNezumi fans!
    I finally fixed the end-of-stroke-paint-spill bug in PhotoShop!!
    Also, I bought a Wacom Bamboo tablet, and am currently working on making LazyNezumi compatible with all tablets which use the WinTab API (which is, all the wacom tablets, and many others).
    I'll probably post back this weekend with a new version!
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    New version is ready!
    Let me know if you find any problems with it.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    wow, this is awesome!
    I have it working on a xp sp3 with cs2 and paint on mouse and wacom bamboo
    Ive been drawing loopity loops for the last half-hour... too awesome?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Woo, you rock! Works perfectly now. :D
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys!
    While drawing curves with Nezumi in CS4 with my tablet I noticed that my lines were a little jittered. I changed my tablet point processing code to use floating-point math, and now the curves are Super-Smooth!
    So be sure to pick up the new 8.18 version:
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,
    a new version (8.23) of LazyNezumi is ready!
    This fixes many problems with window attachments, and adds support to many apps.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    a new version (8.29) is ready!
    You can get it here as usual:
    In this version I changed the function hooking code so that it'll perform a lot better and work with more versions of Windows (you'll need XPSP2 at least).
    I didn't get a chance to test with Vista so let me know if this is any better (or worst) than the previous version.
    I added an entry in the config.ini for the enable hotkey.
    I added support for Photoshop CS, BodyPaint 3D and TVP Animation 9 Pro.
    Check it out and let me know how it goes!
    cheers,
    kamih
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this rocks! I got version 8.29 working in Vista Ultimate 64bit with Photoshop CS2, and Artweaver. All I had to do was double click lazyNezumi.exe, no popups, no warnings, no XP compatibility mode, nothing. It just it works perfectly :)

LazyNezumi also works great with Gimp 2.6.6 except the guideline and guide circle sort of just flicker in and out of existence while I paint.

Sadly I can't get it working with ArtRage 2.5.20, XP compatability or no. I just get this weird jump stroke from LazyNezumi's window to where I start painting on the canvas if I try to change any of the settings using my wacom. No stroke delay though.

Thanks for the great tool kamih :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Ben,
    I'm glad you like it and that it works for you in Vista64! (you probably have 32bit versions of those applications installed, otherwise it wouldn't work).
    I know about the flickering in Gimp, this is a common problem I have in many apps, I'll try to fix it or make it better at least as I go along...
    For ArtRage, I tested with 2.5.20 (Starter edition) and it works fine, however the guideline is very glitchy with the mouse.
    Since this is a single-window application though, you have to disable LN before you click anywhere in the AR window for anything other than painting, otherwise LN thinks you are painting and will start to lag the mouse. Otherwise it should work fine. If it doesn't, please send me a dbgView log (see README.txt for instructions).
    cheers,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    someone pointed out a nasty bug that crept into last version of LazyNezumi. This bug could crash some applications that use the WinTab tablet API in a certain way (notably OpenCanvas Pro).
    This bug has been fixed in the new version 9.8.30.
    I also added support for Synfig and ZBrush (but who needs LazyNezumi in ZBrush right wink2.gif?).
    cheers,
    kamih
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi kamih, your right all of those apps I mentioned earlier are 32bit versions.

I looked further into the Art Rage issue. First I tried installing Art Rage Starter Edition and LazyNezumi worked. I am using Art Rage Full edition though. It turns out all I needed to do was add the line "ArtRage.exe|noparent|ArtRage" to the config.ini under [HookWindows] then LazyNezumi works with the Full Edition of Art Rage as well!

One problem came up with ArtRage though, in both the Starter and Full Edition. When I extend a brush stroke for longer than a few seconds I get a "not responding" error in ArtRage's title bar and the stroke gets interrupted. This occurs in both the 20090829 and 9.8.30 versions of LazyNezumi.

Is there any chance you will will be able to get LazyNezumi working with 64bit applications in the future?

And here's my own selfish list of apps that I would like to see supported by LazyNezumi.

Mudbox 1.07 - Mudbox 2009 and 2010 already have a lazy mouse function but lately I've found myself going back to Mudbox 1.07 to sculpt things yet there's no lazy mouse in 1.07.

Modo 401 (32 and 64 bit) - There are brush sculpting and painting functions in Modo that could benefit from being able to work with LazyNezumi.

Paint Tool SAI - though I don't own a copy yet so I don't even know if it already has this function or not. But I've heard good things about it and intend to purchase a copy soon.

Thanks again for all your hard work :)

EDIT:

Ok after actually reading LazyNezumi's instructions :poly136: I was able to use the "Attach to Window" function and get LazyNezumi attached to Mudbox 1.07. It sort of works but the mouse pointer doesn't update it's position, it sort of just sticks to where the stroke is actually having an effect on the sculpt. The guides only flicker into existence occasionally as well. In other words the stroke is delayed but I can't see where my pointer really is. Haha oh well, I'll have to play around with this a bit more. Oh LazyNezumi added the line "mudbox.exe|QWidget|QWidget" to the ini file if that helps with anything.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ben, I'll check out those apps and see if LN can work with them.
    And I am currently working on native 64-bit app support.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome Lampoly! Thanks for the info :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to change the way I add support for apps.
    Instead of the app specific info being compiled into the dll, I'm going to expose the parameters LN uses to decide how to work with a certain application, in a config file. That way you guys can find the settings that work with any app you want. That way I don't have to keep downloading and installing 23507 app demos every week! :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    I put an experimental 64-bit app support version up (9.9.xx).
    As usual, you can get it here:
    I haven't been able to test this on 64-bit XP yet, so let me know if it works or not for you (I'll do some testing next week).
    This version also adds the apps.ini file which allows you to configure LazyNezumi for any application.
    Have fun,
    kamih
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like native 64-bit app support is working!
    New official version is 9.9.7:
    Let me know if you encounter any problems with it.
    cheers,
    kamih
  • jamoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tool! Thanks!
    LazyNezumi 10.3.3
    Works with XP 64, CS5 (64bit) and Bamboo.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... doesn't seem to be working on 64bit Win 7 with CS5...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    MattLichy: Works for me :), i did replace the ini file with the one on the website, i dont know if that made the diffrence tough.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    MattLichy wrote: »
    hmm... doesn't seem to be working on 64bit Win 7 with CS5...

I had issues with mine not working correctly until I set the exe to work in xp compatiblity mode....
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Make sure you check the LazyNezumi website, the latest version there worked great for windows 7 and CS4
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... I'll try the Xp mode thing and see if that works, otherwise the ini. Thanks fellas
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    works nice, but in photoshop cs3 my lines stil stay, wiggly a bit. might be cs3 that is the problem.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Lazy nezumi is great, thanks for a great program!
    Is there a substitute of this for mac though?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Man, just discovered this! What a great tool! Works hella slow on my work box (because it's shit), but I can't wait to try this out on my home beast!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Is it possible to use this with a pen/tablet? I had an older version of it and I had to use my mouse in order for this to function. Is that intended?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    It definitely works with a tablet, intuos 2 win 7 and before I upgraded from xp it worked too.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys,
    I'm very happy everyone likes Lazy Nezumi so much!
  • Mypeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we use cs5.1 at work, anyone gotten this to work? ive tried capturing the window method and i never get the brush to work?
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    Hello :)
    This Tool seems very promising but unfortunately i can’t make it work. I’m on win7 64and CS5 64 (v12.0.4) with an intuos 4
    It does recognise photoshop but for some reason the app work in every windows (menu bars, background, layers) BUT the main windows (canvas)
    Does the settings have to be changed into the App file? i’ve tried with the attch to window option, all my psd menus are flickering with red frame but in the end there’s no change. The lazy mouse works everywhere but in the canvas. Does anyone have the same problem or knows how to solve it?
    Thanks
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is there something I'm not doing right?

I added cs6 64bit.

When it does work, it's off from the cursor position to the left. This is on two different machines. I have gotten it to work correctly once (the first time I tried it) Ever since then it has been as I said, off.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having problems with it here on my new work machine here as well: Windows 7, Photoshop CS6, Intuos 5. I can't get LazyNezumi to attach to Photoshop at all - the frame flashes red when first starting Photoshop but that's it - no functionality after that and no stroke smoothing or guidelines etc.

Adding CS^ lines in the APPS.INI doesn't seem to work and the lines are not there when I open the file again. Similarly, when I try and attach it to CS6 with the FILE> ATTACH TO WINDOW menu, the APPS.INI doesn't get updated either.

Looking through the README.txt it doesn't mention Win7 as being supported so I guess this is where my problems are coming from - does anybody know if this is going to change - Win7/8 must be pretty widespread now among users so it seems like an oversight not to support them (if that is indeed the issues)