Home Technical Talk

Some Mesh Questions...

Hey all, I'm wondering if there is a method of automatically making a mesh's faces be of perfectly equal height and length. I'm using Maya for this.

maya2009-07-1601-35-15-04.jpg

Basically taking the smallest face on my base mesh (the ends of that rectangle) and sub-dividing the mesh so all the faces are perfectly square (other than using Insert Edge Loops over and over, especially with the more complicated meshes this can be problematic).

Also, I've been wanting to use Decimation Master ZBrush plugin to create low poly meshes and normally I can get some decent results with a bit tweaking, but sometimes it will do some really WEIRD stuff like have a 1000 triangles in a tiny corner on a mesh with only 200 triangles making up the rest of it. Not sure if MeshLab would be better...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you want them to be perfectly equal height/length? Are you modelling something really technical that needs to snap perfectly together?

In Maya you can turn on edge snap magnets for the split polygon tool, just go to the tool settings and set the number of snap points. Then it will snap to those points as you drag to cut edges, meaning you're always cutting the same relative percentage length along the edge.

Also, I wouldn't rely on Decimation Master or Meshlab for making lowpoly meshes at all. Those things are mainly intended for reducing very high-poly geometry down to a more manageable level, they're not intended for making low-poly models out of high poly models.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    you cant divide everything to be an integer multiple of another length... so you will never be able to get perfectly square for all shapes. FEM subdivisions often require that, but they subdivide on all directions until the error is minimal.