Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chun Nova

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
JacqueChoi polycounter
Modelled this for the recent minicomp over at GameArtisans.

The idea was to take a game character, and cosplay them as ANOTHER game character.

I Chose Chun Li, and Nova from Starcraft Ghost:

3000 Triangles, 512x512 textures (Diffuse, Emmissive and Spec).

image.jpg

C&C's always welcome.

:D

Also trying to really hone in on my painting skills, get them to a higher level. So if there's any tricks, techniques, or references I could use, please feel free to share them.

Replies

• vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks really nice man. she has slightly greenish palour to her skin. not sure of that works as well
    its like the forehead her her hair hanging down has a warm orangey feel to it then all of a sudden it changes to greenish.
    not a show stopper , but it makes her look slightly sickly or ill.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    This is great! I love the direction you took with this and could totally work for a Chun Li costume unlock! Love it!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    haha, cool choice of characters. Love the handpainted textures, turned out really nice. :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fantastic job man!! That back view alone is hitting many many sweet spots :P Great inspiration reference. Thanks for showing!!!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man, this is great!

The only thing I think is holding it back is the facial region. It needs to be a little less stiff/more personality. Paint-Overs are generally contagious, but here is my quick overpaint suggestion for you. (Also, I learned how to make animated gifs from this!)

http://www.justinkenneallyart.com/chun.gif

I just noticed that posting a strobing .GIF in my post is a bad idea if people reply, as then you have many strobing images going (annoying) --Especially if Renaud and others hate it!

Note: Chun-Li was my favorite character in SF, so this one really struck me!

Good luck!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    awesome work. great hips :) not really any crits. if id be nitpicking, and i will, some of the lines of her costume is a tiny bit wobbly, and the tint of her skin, but that may be part of the chun li/ghost combo.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    cycloverid wrote: »
    Hey man, this is great!

The only thing I think is holding it back is the facial region. It needs to be a little less stiff/more personality. Paint-Overs are generally contagious, but here is my quick overpaint suggestion for you. (Also, I learned how to make animated gifs from this!)

chun.gif

Note: Chun-Li was my favorite character in SF, so this one really struck me!

Good luck!

Before.

Awesome model and textures ! :D
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    almost monochromatic but cool.
    really nice job!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    get it get it.

I agree though the face is pretty sterile. Give her a smirk. At least.

F that stoic face nonsense.=)(
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I think even just more of a expression on her face would be awesome. Love the model over all. Great man.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great idea, I like the end result. I agree with the expression crits, but still really nice stuff! Two of my fave games of all time :)
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminds me of that game that never came out, oh wait that was SC : ghost :(
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    whoa yeah, it does kinda look like SC Ghost ... ...
    she actually looks a lot like the main character, Nova! good eye Alec3d.
    she also reminds me of that one game, Street Fighter as well, i just can't put my finger on it though ... ...

JacqueChoi, i was going to say 'nice job!' but i think it's obvious you're just taking a pre-existing video game character and dressing it up like another one, like some kind of cosplay or something. not cool man.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work, Jacque. I put this piece as number 1 when I voted. Love the proportions, and amazing texture work.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i sit me or does the model have a gigantic pelvic region?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    WOW thanks for the crits n comments everyone!

I made the smirk a little more subtle, and changed the greenish skintone.

LOL

>_<

ChunNova_head.jpg

Alec3D: sure does! ^_^ It's definately a stylistic choice.

Jeremy-S: Thanks dude! Really glad you like it!

Killingpeople" LMFAO! YOU CAUGHT ME!

DeathByChris/Conte - Thanks!

Carlo_C, Whats_True, Stoofoo, Renaud Galand : I hope i captured the expression. It's a little more subtle than the paintover, (I did it mainly with geometry, and didn't want to stretch the texture too much)

Cycloverid - Thanks a TON for the paintover man. I liked a lot of what you did, but I think some of the proportional elements strayed from what I was going for (But the smile, and skin tones helped a LOT).

JohnnyRaptor - Thanks! Glad you like it. The wobly areas (I'd assume on the back) are more a result of the low poly. :( It's gonna just be a bit wobbly in some areas depending on the angle you're viewing it at, and which polygon is cutting into it.

Pior - Thanks man! You're one of the OG grand poobah's of painting. Means a lot coming from you.

Ceebee/Nizza/Kaburan/JasonLavoie/VJ_Box - Thanks for the kind words n comments. Glad you guys like it.

Ruz - Thanks! I paint skin tones, usually paint my base an orange-brown (on top of the more subdermal blues and blushes of the skin) and then go in another layer with a nearly white-with a hint of blue, to desaturate the tones. But when I hue-shifted it them all, it all turned GREEN.

I think I fixed it

:)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sweet work man :thumbup: Everyones opinion aside, I much prefer your version over the paintover :)
    Tiny crit, her lips look slightly too pixellated and so detract from the rest of her face.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I don't mean to be a jerk and keep pointing things out, but I still see problems that weren't addressed.

I think everyone should know that I am not a character artist. Therefore, I think the intentions of my paintover were misunderstood. I was merely making some suggestions on anatomical issues / expression. So, perhaps it is better that I don't do paintovers from here on, as it seems to make people confused about my intentions. Also, I probably got a little carried away!

Some things worth considering still:

- Those bulbs that would visually represent the ears (or that are covering the ears) are too high. Ears generally never go too much higher than eye-level. Unless this is a future where it is fashionable to get ear-lifts, I'd take those down a tad.

- Her nose doesn't look of adult size, but perhaps that is a 'cute' touch. If that's the case, I'll buy it.

- The flow of the mouth now seems to have an unnatural curve to it. I would consider easing that a bit.

- Maybe my monitor is wonky, but to me it looks like she has a rash near her hairline. I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Anyway, maybe I'm just being a jerk. The end result is great, but I think there are a few issues that I am compelled to point out despite the lack of agreement.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^ ^
    Not being a jerk, being helpful

I'll recheck on monday at my monitors at work. My monitor at home is ghetto. I'll get the ears addressed.... (although the face is angled a bit down).

I'll get the rest of the stuff sorted out.

:D

I'm NOT taking offense to it at all. Feel free to crit man, that's why I posted.

Cheers, and thanks!