Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Skater Next Gen

pjtorres
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
pjtorres polycounter lvl 9
Hi all!

I`m working on this skater, for real time(actually gen xD).

Critics and comments are welcome :)

skater01.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good. The face is nice, has a certain amount of character and doesn't seem generic like a lot of faces can be.

The clothes seem a bit boring right now though. No logos or damage on his hoody?

Also I'd suggest using a few more polys in the mesh to really pump up the volume here and there, for example around the shoes and pants. The hoody has decent shape and volume but the pants, legs and shoes feel very "flat" and tubular.

His hands also look quite flat and thin. You can probably give them a more interesting shape just by tweaking the lowpoly mesh.

A little more work here and there (mesh volume, texture interest) and I think this'll be a great piece.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it so far, I agree about adding some volume though. also I think you should add some rips or tears to his shoes and hoodie, some falling damage.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i would suggest playing with the softness/hardness of the normals of the edges on the lower leg before resorting to adding geometry. It may be a quick fix.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    First Suggestion: Drop Next Gen...It is current gen now. Next gen would be PS4 or whatever.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    First Suggestion: Drop Next Gen...It is current gen now. Next gen would be PS4 or whatever.

&

Xbox1080shove-it-to-boneless
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good for now,and whats wrong with his left leg,the lower part.?
    Vj
  • pjtorres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: I am agree with your opinion. The textures are already in progress and I`m gone do put on his cloth some logos.

The mesh has 6000 polys without skate board, probably i`ll add some polys on the lower part of the model. On the hands, i am thinking in add gloves without fingers.

BlackulaDZ: thanks for coment :), i am proposing me about this things.

P442: yes, i have to revise some parts on normal maps. Thanks for your comment :)

Jesse Moody: :P well. We all understand what i mean... (normal maps, spec maps... ). Thanks :thumbup:

Firebert: thanks firebert for you information about the future consoles :P ( :) )

vj_box: thanks for comment vj_box :), until now i have worked in face an basic color on diffusse texture... i have to revise these parts.

more updates later :)

P.D: my english can incite to loss of appetite... sorry :P
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    oooo this takes me back.

XD

Even the most generic of hoodies have trim lines and double stitching.

hoodie_zip.jpg
    You could even use a lot of those trim edges to separate your UVs into more manageable sizes (like separating the sleeves, and hood).

You need details like drawstrings, going into the hood, and pleating on the elastic parts (around the wrists, and bottom). Most hoodies also have that giant pocket in the front. Mop also suggested adding a logo.

Hoodie-GREEN-prodProduct.jpg

The attention to detail you've already put in the shoes is a perfect example of what you should be bringing into all aspects of this model. Gather a LOT more reference materials, or simply find a hoodie you really like, and make it.

The spec is also a little too blasted and glossy, and you should maybe add some kind of fresnel falloff of some kind to emulate the cloth material.

Also, think about what skaters wear. Accessories like hats/bandanas, necklaces, wrist bands (spikes?) earings, rings, chains attaching out of the pocket, rips in the jeans.

:)

It's a good start! Keep going with it!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    agreed on what jacque said. Adding extra details around the edges of stuff can help close them off and add more interest. It's looking really good right now just some details here and there would really make it pop.

And i'm guessing that's just lighting making the left leg look weird (looks almost like there's some smoothing group prob just at the front).

awsome :)
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya the guy you have now looks more like a guy with a skateboard, not a skateboarder.

maybe try adding baggier shorts (or maybe even pants)
    also alot of the sweatshirts are crazy http://images.surffanatics.com/productimages//_219000/FF_219172_xl.jpg may help to add some needed details and that skateboarder feel
  • pjtorres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks JacqueChoi, Nizza_waaarg, Mtg_kirin for your comments, very useful for me :thumbup:

i finish the skater... finally i remodeled the holdie like JacqueChoi suggested me...

later i`ll upload some images of the process (wire, textures...)

thanks all for your comment :)

skaterfinal.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Are there screws holding on the front trucks too? I can't see any in your latest pic there.

The bottom part of the shorts... I have no idea what that's supposed to be... and how there is no silhouette change between that and his legs makes it look really strange.

Other than that it's looking really nice. I'd add some dirt to the grip tape and tires if I were you.. and add the wear that people were talking about earlier to the rest of his clothes. The skateboard looks brand new which again makes him look like a person with a skateboard, rather than a skater.