Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio Piece] Heavy Gunner

Previously this character was an 80's Style Action hero, but it has since been adapted for a character in an announced game title. I was responsible for the high and low res modeling, as well as map creation. This was my first completed game character. :\

My new website is www.chademond.com

gamemesh1.jpgwifreframes2.jpghighres1.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice work here. That is one manly beard. I wish I could grow a beard like that..

I think the boots, mainly just the toe area, could use a little re-working... feels a little boxy to me. And if this model is going to be used for a game, you will find that it probably won't animate very well. While your geometry is nice and clean, its not going to deform very well around areas that need to bend, notably the elbows, hips and knees. I would recommend making the knee pads a separate piece.. if the engine supports it.

The sculpt looks really nice. Nicely done.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom wrote: »
    Really nice work here. That is one manly beard. I wish I could grow a beard like that..

I think the boots, mainly just the toe area, could use a little re-working... feels a little boxy to me. And if this model is going to be used for a game, you will find that it probably won't animate very well. While your geometry is nice and clean, its not going to deform very well around areas that need to bend, notably the elbows, hips and knees. I would recommend making the knee pads a separate piece.. if the engine supports it.

The sculpt looks really nice. Nicely done.

Thanks for the comments, especially for the animation issues. I'll be sure to do some work with the geometry/edge loops around there to make it more animation friendly.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skayne wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, did you use the Gnomon Character Modeling for Games dvd as reference for this... cause from the waste down it looks almost identical, down to the line on the back of the boots.

Erm, no, not really. I mean I've seen the DVD, and quite enjoyed the workflow used, but I didn't specicially use it for a reference. I used flickR mostly for reference images of boots/kneepads etc...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The character looks good technically, but if he's going to be this generic what's the point?

You spent a lot of time and it shows, but without something to differentiate your character from others you don't show an ability to make artistic and technical decisions or a capacity to do something new (which is the point of creating digital art), and as has happened in this thread it can also look like the work is stolen, either from a tutorial or from some kind of "buff dude" base mush.

The beard's good, adds some character, you can use that to come up with other ideas.

Here's a good example of a standard "buff dude" with enough new stuff to make it an excelent portfolio piece:

2lnfur4.jpg

Little things like handcuffs holding a beer. Really simple objects to model and texture, but used in a really creative way.

Just a couple things like that and you've created a really cool new character. Obviously this is Guile from Street Fighter and one could say the artist didn't do anything new because it's an existing character, but he took the time to create new stuff that "fits" with the character.

Sticking with street fighter, you might draw some inspiration from zangief who has a similar beard, but has unique chest hair and scaring.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Nice...made me think of Rock N' Roll from GI Joe. Give him a nice 50 cal and some bullet bandoleers and it'd be him. Keep at it, looking good so far.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ crazyfingers: Thank you very much for the contructive critism. This is very much a learning process for me still, and I understand what you are point about regarding creativity, and making a character more than generic.

@ skayne: He does look alot like Kimbo yes, but this was at the request of the Art Director, so it's one of those situations where I'm not in a position to change something like that. I will look into reworking the folds, cloth dynamics are never easy thing to understand in a modeling pose :poly124:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    skayne wrote: »
    Ahh I guess there's just a pretty striking resemblance to the character on the DVD. But then again its likely most army guys have boots and kneepads.

Anyways, I'll stick with my original critique from your previous thread and agree with crazyfingers, he needs more character. Right now it just looks like Kimbo Slice beefed up and joined the army.

kimbo-slice_image.jpg

Wait... ok it looks EXACTLY like Kimbo Slice joining the army. I would rework who the character is.. make him feel like a person not just Male Army Soldier 01.

Just my 2 cents tho. The sculpt looks good except I'm still not digging the folds in the pants.

I feel this is excessive. I think his creation has plenty of character; loving his beard and his bandanna. Those two things tell you stuff about the character straight away. Also the craftmanship on this piece is really good. Nice one!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    The wrinkles on the pants where the ground area is are way off. I suggest getting reference from burn hogarth's wrinkle book on how wrinkles form and why. It will help your stuff out alot.

Looser lighter fabric = more wrinkles
    stiffer thicker fabrick = less wrinkles.