Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Northern Ireland: 1983 Project

Firstly, i'll explain the Northern Ireland: 1983 project, and what we are attempting to do.

Basically, the main idea was to feature as much as we could from the 83-84 period, in regards to media, style, and equipment, which is one of the main thing's we're looking for to make it seem more in-depth, and playable. We're making every attempt to make the mod as unbiased as possible, but at the same time, it has to be remembered that there were horrendous actions on both sides, and more so in regards to the paramilitaries on both the Loyalist, and Republican sides. Anyway, we hope you enjoy it when we finally release it, but with the current work load, you're looking at between 10-12 months, mainly due to the plot design, level design, and AI that needs to be incorporated (The last one is vital, as Crysis standard AI is shoddy, and doesn't do what we need it to do.).

The story begins in the ending months of 1983. Northern Ireland, and in particular County Armagh and County Down, have been wracked by recent attacks on the RUC, the Army, and the civilian populace. According to Intelligence reports, this is believed to be due to a recent split in the Provisional IRA, with the hardliners splitting from the main body, to form their own paramilitary organisation due to the recent appearance of PIRA bending more towards a peaceful solution, rather than one of violence.
You take the role of 29 year old Sgt. John Casey, a member of the British Special Boat Squadron, the maritime equivalent of the SAS. You, and an 8 man patrol, have been dispatched to the province in an attempt to cripple the new splinter group, via tracking down and eliminating or capturing their leadership, before there are further attacks. The threat has to be eliminated, before it is too late. Failure is not an option.

We decided to work with Cryengine2 for a number of reasons. Firstly, the much larger areas available for use in gameplay - this is vital for a game that we're trying to bill as a large, open attack style game. Secondly, the higher levels of geometry allow us more detail - as you can see from the below weapons, than say, Source. 6K polygons, for the most part, is more than enough for most weapons you could say. Thirdly, the environmental settings allowed us to really use the engine to its limit, displaying Ireland, the UK, and elsewhere to the full extent of the Cryengine's power - it ain't just good with Jungle ya know. Finally, its got a fairly large, and able, modding community available, which allows questions about the engine, or possibilities to be quickly dealt with, and even better, improved by the community.

Anyway, now, I'll give you several pieces of media that we've been working on since January, when we started this total conversion, otherwise i'll probably get a good slap from a mod for not showing what we're about... :P

L1A1 SLR (Modelled by James G. Elmslie)
The L1A1 is a rifle that has stood the test of time, and one of the best rifles still in existance - some would say outstripping the British Army's replace, the SA80 series of rifles/carbines. The high poly model comes in at approximately 168,000 polygons.

L1A1_Rifle_Highpoly_01.jpg
L1A1_Rifle_Highpoly_03.jpg
L1A1_Rifle_Highpoly_02.jpg

L96 Marksman's Rifle (Modelled by James G. Elmslie)
The British Army's L96 rifle, the newest and most accurate rifle in the British Military's arsenal in 1983, and still being delivered to units in active service, this firearm replaced the venerable Lee-Enfield L42A1 Marksman rifle which will also feature in the mod.

Designed by Olympic shooting gold medallist Malcolm Cooper, the Accuracy international is here depicted with a Dovetail Mounted Schmidt-Bender optical scope, rather than the picatinny rail mount seen on more modern versions of the same firearms platform, another example of the technology of the period we are depicting in NI: 1983.

This model, produced with a combination of box modelling and soft-surface sculpting weighs in at 128,694 triangles. The ingame geometry LOD model are designed to allow clean transfer of normal map detail to the lower polygon meshes.

L96_Highpoly_03.jpg

L96_Highpoly_01.jpgL96_Highpoly_02.jpg

RPG-7 (Modelled by James G. Elmslie)
The ruggedness, simplicity, low cost, and effectiveness of the RPG-7 have made it the most widely used anti-tank weapon in the world. Currently around 40 countries use the weapon, and it is manufactured in a number of variants by nine countries. It is also popular with irregular and guerrilla forces. The RPG has been used in almost all conflicts across all continents since the mid-1960s from the Vietnam War to the present day War in Afghanistan and Iraq War.

As with the L1A1, and the L96, this was produced with a combination of box modelling and soft-surface sculpting. The model comes in at some 126,000 polygons.

RPG7_highpoly01.1.jpg
RPG7_highpoly02.1.jpg

I'll be adding further images later, not just of clay models (Though, for the most part, those are the best images to show in my opinion) but for now, heres our ModDB link for you to look over, and see further information - I'll add more images either in another post, or add to this one.

http://www.moddb.com/games/northern-ireland-pathfinder

We are currently going through a complete overhaul of the development, both in the information that we display, the features, and internal structure of our team. While I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this in this area, if you're interested in helping out, could you please post, or send me a PM/Email.

Thanks for your time,

-J
Iron Wolf Studios Team Lead

NOTE - Images not showing for some odd reason. Think the links are broken to them, i'll attempt to rectify another time. :P

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are looking great, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops, hadn't realised that the thread had been authorised yet...

In regards to the weapons you see there, they are having to be finished by other members of the team. Reason being, RSI has struck JGE, and its mightly annoyed him. Reason why you never sit at computers for 10 hour working days, without a break chaps! :(

I'll get more stuff up later tonight - mainly i'll be recycling news posts from other sites, such as ModDB/Crymod as they're the best worded versions, and it means its less trouble overall trying to find the original images!

Still, finally got a new art style sorted out as well for images, in regards to the logo and border. Much improved, in my opinion. Thoughts anyone? I'm personally thinking its an improvement upon the current one (Which is the one used on the pieces showcased so far).

newbackgroundsetup.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your highpoly gun models. I love the idea of the game. Seems like a really cool choice of subject matter, a topic that hasn't been explored much through games. I hope you dig deep and make this thought provoking and exciting.

Did I mention your models look really great?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    High poly work looks great, looking forward to more!
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dolemite wrote: »
    I really like your highpoly gun models. I love the idea of the game. Seems like a really cool choice of subject matter, a topic that hasn't been explored much through games. I hope you dig deep and make this thought provoking and exciting.

Did I mention your models look really great?

Exactly the reason why we're doing it - you've got films, books, music... But not a game, and even then, not something that attempts to be more than one-sided. Only need to look at some of the stuff that has come out of Hollywood on the subject, to see what I mean.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll get a news post up in about 30 mins, gotta find all the links and stuff first. :poly124:
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, i'm going to do several posts with all our media updates in, just for the sake of clarity. :)

This was the March update.
    Well, here it is at last, the Silenced Sterling High Poly model, made by Ror-shak.

Sterling_High_Poly_View_1.jpg
    Sterling_High_Poly_View_2.jpg
    Sterling_High_Poly_View_3.jpg
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remington 870 Pumpaction Shotgun:
    First up, we have the Remington 870 Shotgun. A favourite of Special Forces, and Police forces alike, it is "...kept for close encounters", along with use as a MOE (Method of Entry) weapon - by "Blowing the bloody doors off", as it were.

(2 shiny pennies to whoever can guess where those two quotes come from.)

The model has been made by Ror-Shak, while the texture has been made by Jason9Jason. Hopefully, we should have this animated pretty soon, within a week or two.

remmington870marmoset97.th.jpg

This was rendered in the Marmoset Engine, which simulates the effect of lighting of the Crysis engine.

Army Watchtower in Game!:
    Next, we've got a demonstration of the Brick Army Watchtower in game, and in what Duruk calls "A typical Irish summer...". Bare in mind, the environment is to only give an idea of what it looks like in game, rather than an actual environment that will be used in the end product. Please also remember, some of the images don't have decals added to the structure, while others do, due to the shots being taken at different times.

00001g.th.jpg00002z.th.jpg00003b.th.jpg00004.th.jpg00005.th.jpg00006.th.jpg00007u.th.jpgtower4.th.jpg
    The Remington texture is currently being reworked.

• Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interviewsmall.jpg

It was a long time ag-

Nuts, wrong script.

*ahem*

The other night, I had a small interview session with Missing-String - the mod we all know and love. In a none gay way. Honest. :whistle:

Here's the transcript of the interview, which releases vital information about the plot, the main character and a few other things we're planning on including in the modification.
    Missing-String:
    You've chosen what could be considered a fairly controversial and political setting for you mod. What made you choose this?

J:
    I decided to go with Northern Ireland, and the Troubles, as a background setting for the mod for a few reasons. Firstly, it was something that had never been done before - there'd been music, books, and even films about the troubles, but not a game. In my opinion, games are becoming as much an art form as Music, or film, or literature are, and that is what we are intending to create with this work. Also, its an interesting time period, from the point of view of the political setting in the UK at the time - Thatcher had just come to power, and the Falklands War had finished barely a year before the mod was set. In regards to technology, it also gives us something interesting, as at this point the transition to more modern styles of weapon augmentation hadn't been made - such as RIS rails, ACOG Scopes, laser pointers, and the like. It was also a chance to tell a story from a soldier's point of view - all the films that I've come across about the troubles, generally feature the British Army in a poor, or negative light throughout. Finally, I believed that a lot of the films that had been made about the troubles were biased - either in regards to the Loyalist, or Republican side - and I hoped to create something that wasn't entirely biased with this work.

Missing-String:
    Ok, following on from that, how historically accurate will the mod be?

J:
    We're trying to go for full on historical accuracy, in regards to the equipment, appearance of areas and the NPC's, and music as much as possible - it wouldn't fully immerse the player otherwise, which is our entire aim. While the splinter group of the IRA didn't exist, and while no split occurred during 1983, there were several splits after, and before that point, which gave us some artistic license if you will, to create a splinter group to bring the story to life, and give them more...extreme characteristics than their PIRA counterparts.

Missing-String:
    Can you reveal any details on the storyline and plot?

J:
    I can indeed. The game consists of approximately 7 levels - 4 being in Ireland, 1 in the Strait of Gibraltar, 1 in London, and the final level being in an undisclosed location, for the moment. Throughout the game, it won't just be the splintergroup that the player will be facing off against - however, for the moment, that will remain undisclosed.

In the lead up to the deployment of the joint SAS/SBS team in Northern Ireland, there had been several attacks on both the populace, and Security Forces, by skilled, well armed and trained forces - something that hadn't been seen up til that point in Northern Ireland in such numbers.

After a failed attack by one of these Active Service Units, 2 of the members were brought in. Several months before the attacks first began, a split had occurred in the Provo's - those who supported Sein Fein's ideal of finding a peaceful solution, and those who did not. Those who did not favour Sein Fein's new direction numbered some 200-400 operatives - nearly a third of the Provo's total strength. Since that split occured, they armed, and trained themselves abroad - mostly in Libya, and Russia.

They called themselves the "Gaelach Saoradh Bris", or the "Irish Liberation Force" - their goal being to free Ireland from British home rule, and to rejoin Northern Ireland with Eire again. By the time the player's team has arrived in Northern Ireland, the attacks have claimed the lives of many innocent civilians, and Security Forces members alike. The taskforce, codenamed "Operation Pathfinder", has been tasked with the elimination, or capture, of senior members of the ILF - with the hope that with their leadership gone, the ILF will crumble, and the attacks will halt.

Missing-String:
    You mentioned in your summary of the mod that the squad plays a large role in providing immersion and depth to the mod. How exactly does it achieve this?

J:
    The main way that the squad provides the immersion, is by simulating the conversations between team members, how they behave, each having their own skillset, appearance, and personality. For example, Spencer Harvey, the Liverpudlian, is described as a thieving scouser on more than one occasion by members of the team. Each member of the team has their own way that they'll react to a threat, and how they'll respond to certain orders.

The reason we include this, is because we've found that some games are lacking entirely in the squad dynamic - all that differs is the nametag, and possibly the appearance of the other team members. Call of Duty 4 nearly pulled this trick off with Gaz, and Captain MacMillian, to show you an example of the kind of thing we're aiming for. You can also look at Gears of War in regards to the squad dynamics there as well.

Missing-String:
    Can you give the community any information regarding the profile of the player's character?

J:
    Throughout gameplay, the player takes the role of 29 year old Sgt. John Casey. Born in Antrim in 1958, John moved with his family to York in England, fleeing the troubles when he was 8. After leaving school at 16, he joined the Royal Marines, being assigned to 42 Commando, before applying for the SBS at 20 years old. While in 42 Commando, he served in Northern Ireland, and when he joined the SBS, the Falklands War. During the conflict, he built up a strong relationship with Dan "Mackie" MacIntyre, the second in command of Operation Pathfinder, after he saved their lives more than once. He was selected by Mackie as part of the operation due to his ability to think quickly under fire, and leadership skills. Casey is also the epitome of what intelligence gathering requires - the "Grey Man", not being too memorable, or standing out in a crowd.

More information on the team can be found under the features section, on our ModDB page, here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/northern-ireland-pathfinder/features

Missing-String:
    Will civilian NPCs appear in the mod?

J:
    Yes, I can confirm that they will for several of the levels - as we're featuring Belfast, Derry, London, and several villages/towns throughout the game, they will be appearing. We're planning on setting their AI so that they will react to their surroundings, in regards to explosions, gunshots, or a weapon being drawn by the player, for example.

Missing-String:
    And finally, any tips you've picked up along the way, for the aspiring mod developers out there?

J:
    A good question. My main tips are the following.
    Without a good, clear, art direction, you'll find it incredibly hard, or impossible to progress - at the beginning of development, we were near enough lost until we had an art direction built up, mainly thanks to James Elmslie, our Head of Design - if he hadn't joined us, I doubt the modification would still be going.

Second, is to get your ideas out, and concepts of the environment, the characters, and if the setting demands it, weapons and vehicles. Not to mention, reference images of already occurring media - in our case, British Troops in the Falklands, and Northern Ireland during the 80's being prime sources of reference material.

Finally, you should select the shots for public release which will either tease the community, making them want more - for example, a mockup of a tanker on a rough sea - or your best work, thats been completed - at least, to whatever stage it is at, like the Modelling/Texturing/Animating stage. And also, don't forget about the music, or sound, of your modification - without it, the level of immersion you can bring to the player is severely limited, and it all important to make your work stand out from every other work there is.

Missing-String:
    Well, it's been great interviewing you; thanks for providing those final insights, and I hope your mod progresses well.

J:
    Thank you for taking your time to interview me.

Also, I have a pair of teaser shots of British Squaddie heads for you, modelled by N-O-S-T-R-O-M-O, our character modeller. We're hoping to have someone in the region of 6 different head models, and a multitude of textures to use on them. Not to mention small changes in the lips, nose, ear size/shape. Please note, the eyes are a placeholder, and will likely scare small children.
    tommy1wipbynostromo.th.jpg
    tommy2wipbynostromo.th.jpg

As a final piece, we have the High Poly model of the Sig Sauer P220, modelled by HaMsTeYr. This is one of the standard sidearms that will be available to the player throughout the game, and a deadly weapon in the right hands.

sigsauerp220vray.jpg
    w1680.png
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well now ladies and gentlemen, its time for a very small update for you, before our much larger update at the end of this month.

Belfast Buildings
    Firstly, we have a selection of 3 buildings that have been created by Mental Radiation, our structural modeller. The two larger buildings are still work in progress, with the 1st image of a large warehouse still needing the wings modelling. The third image depicts one of the houses with are used on streets with whole rows of houses are required, such as residental areas - differences can be added via the texture, and bump maps.
    HOUSE3.jpgHOUSE2.jpgHOUSE1.jpg

Pipebomb
    (If someone mentions Potter Puppet Pals, I kill you.)

The pipebomb is a deadly, yet simple weapon. Filled with a small amount of plastic explosive, and tens of nails, the pipe bomb is a deadly anti-personal weapon, capable of ripping several people to pieces in one blast, and causing heinous injuries to those caught in the blast - and all too easy to make, and controled with the aid of a timer, or radio. This was a favoured weapon by the IRA throughout the Troubles, and not something you want to be on the receiving end of. High poly model made by Ror-Shak.
    wipx.jpg
    (The pipebomb texture for the pipebomb, and detonator, was completed a bit after this, if I remember rightly.)
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, ermmmmm, we've been delayed due to some data losses (Jason accidentally deleted his texture folder... Yeah, yeah, I know its silly...), and some stuff that i'm going to add to the update, but isn't quite done yet. We're looking at a week or two max here, for the full update.

In the mean time, heres a sneaky preview of something for you, which will all be explained in the update...

Darkness Map:
    This is the map entitled "Darkness" by its creator, Sensman. This is going to be an important part of the modification, but I'm not going into depth about where it will be, and what its purpose is til the full update. No matter how much you ask, I shalt say nothing of what it says. Even if String comes along and smacks me upside the face.

Anyway, yes, these were created by new team member, Sensman, who is creating several maps for the modification.
    00072o3tc.th.jpg00071i1hd.th.jpg00070u37d.th.jpg

Berreta 92 High Poly:
    This is the high poly model of the Berreta 92, created by team member Ror-Shak, who is our primary weapon creator. The low poly version is currently being created, and should be completed by our proper update, with the high poly version baked to it.
    highpolydone1.th.jpghighpolydone2.th.jpg

highpolydone3.th.jpghighpolydone4.th.jpghighpolydone5.th.jpg

Sig Sauer P220 Low Poly:
    This is the low poly version of HaMsTeYr's P220. The High Poly is currently being baked to the Low Poly model. This stands at approximately 2500 polys.
    leftt.th.jpgclipa.th.jpgrightw.th.jpg

.38 Special High Poly:
    Created by new team member An Agressive Napkin, whom some of you may recognise from FPSBannana, the revolver is going to be a weapon that is often going to be a reapearing weapon, due to its use by RUC, and Police forces as a secondary firearm, as it was only just beginning to be replaced by the Glock 17 the year after the modification is set. Also, it was a common weapon to appear in the hands of Republican and Loyalist paramilitary members alike.
    31281a.th.jpg31281b.th.jpg

Avis Saracen High Poly:
    As the finale to this little preview, we have the Avis Saracen - an excellent bit of kit, and one of my favourite APC's, and it was greatly amusing to see one turn up at the G20 Protests, and the occupants offer to protect one of the banks, only to be arrested by the Police. For pretending to be police officers. Oh how I laughed...

Anyway. Yes. This was created by Ikillvampires, one of our vehicle modellers. The low poly version will be featured in the next update, with the normal map applied.
    saracen3.th.jpgsaracen2.th.jpgsaracen1.th.jpg

As an ending note for this update, I'd like to add that we're looking for animators - particularly weapon animators, to get these weapons into game. So far, we've only got the Silenced Sterling in game, and it doesn't have a reload animation. Meaning, infinite bannna clip - and we can't be having with that now!

If you're interested, please let me know via a PM, or adding me on MSN.

-J
    CWS Team Lead.

We're planning on having a fairly large media update the end of this month.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right then, thats the lot of the updates so far. :)

Can I have people's thoughts, and suggestions? Plus, would there be anyone who is interested in giving us a hand? *hint hint*.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i would suggest to not invest so much time on weapons - you have a bunch of em now, make the rest look good, feel good play good.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio wrote: »
    i would suggest to not invest so much time on weapons - you have a bunch of em now, make the rest look good, feel good play good.

Aye, thats what we;re doing at the moment - good 50% of the team is focusing on developing assets for the Belfast/other city maps. The weapons get shown, as they're done quicker basically.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newspostbanner.jpg

Welcome to today's news update regarding the August Update of Northern Ireland: 1983. Today, we're bringing you the culmination of nearly 2 months worth of hard work, that brought us through a lot of development, not just in game, but the plot as well. If you look at our ModDB page now, you'll see that we've gone through a complete overhaul of our artstyle, to further embed the 80's feel, and make the modification seem more professional.

Multiplayer:
    As of now, we are including a multiplayer section to the modification, consisting of some 5 levels for the first release. This will likely be completed before the main story, due to the amount of work that is required on the Singleplayer.

The two sides consist of NATO Special Forces, and USSR Special Forces, keeping in the theme of the mod's setting.

In the multiplayer, there will be a choice of 4 modes:

Deathmatch: Exactly the same as IA.
    Team Deathmatch: Exactly the same as TIA
    Capture the Intel: Same as Capture the flag, except its a briefcase containing intelligence.
    VIP: This is one of the interesting ones. One team must protect an AI ViP whilst travelling to a specific point, whilst the other must assassinate him.

Gameplay Systems In Development:
    At present, we are developing several new systems, and involving elements from other modifications that are already available to the public. Firstly, we are developing a Custom Weather System, via a combination of C++, and Flowgraphing - this is likely to take some 6 months due to the complexity of the code involved, but the end result of the battlefield changing atmosphere, and as a result, the way you tackle objectives, should be worth it. We are also working on producing an Advanced AI, similar to the version that has already been released to fit the modification - unfortunately, Crysis's AI doesn't quite fufill what we need for our story to come alive - and yet again, this is likely to take a large amount of development time, unless we are able to aquire assistance for these tasks. Finally, and probably the most important out of those three developments, is Close Combat. This is a combination of Animation, and coding work that has to be done, but is vital for the modification to work correctly - in particular, in regards to close combat weapons, such as the Ka-Bar, or even unarmed combat, not to mention, stealth kills. All of these are main components of the modification, and will hopefully bring our idea to life, and more playable.

Concept Art:
    I'd like to present the work of Shimmering Sword, one of our talented concept artists, whose been developing the appearance of Blue Team's members, and is our lead in regards to character design for the modification. You can find more information on Blue Team in this ModDB article here, and more of Shimmering Sword's work here.
    sasteam.th.jpgsbsteam.th.jpg

Modelling & Texturing:
    Next up, one of our new modellers that joined us at the start of the month, Can5, has produced this wonderful model of the AKM - commonly used by terrorist organisations the world over, and is a steadfast, sturdy, and above all, reliable weapon. In game the player will be able to use a GP-25, along with a silencer with the weapon, making it a deadly weapon in the right hands.
    akm2.th.jpgakm1.th.jpg

Badcop also recently joined us, and has been churning out models for us at an amazing rate, to a very high standard. First up, is the M16-A2, a weapon that was the mainstray of the SAS and SBS during the 70's, 80's and early 90's, before being replaced with the Candian C8. During the game, this is one of the most customisable weapons available to the player, and a good balance of firepower, and accuracy.
    m16a24.th.jpgm16a21.th.jpgm16a22.th.jpgm16a23.th.jpg

Next, we have the FN Minimi - also known as the M249 SAW in American service, and the L108A1 in British Service - again produced by Badcop. A weapon that is standardly used to lay down immense levels of covering fire in support of a section - a very valuable weapon on any operation, and particularly if fitted with a sight - which the player will have the option to do.
    minimi2.th.jpgminimi1.th.jpg

As Badcop's final contribution to this month's update, we have the M61 Fragmentation grenade that was in use by British forces for some two decades, along with American forces during Vietnam. Also, we have the Ka-Bar combat knife, one of the knives that will be available to the player to use.
    m61grenade.th.jpgkabar.th.jpg

To finish the Modelling & Texturing section of this update, Jason's work on the .38 Special and Remington Shotgun are up for viewing, and bring the models to life properly thanks to Jason's skills.
    revolverj.th.jpgremingtona.th.jpg

Level Design: (Images Linked to, due to Polycount's limit on images)
    Finally, we bring you Sensman's work on the multiplayer segment of the modification, which is approximately 1/3 done at the time of writing. Firstly, is the map Shipment. This multiplayer level is Deathmatch, and Team Deathmatch only, for the sake of balance.
    Next, you may recognise this map from Call of Duty 4 - Vacant. We are developing a similar map for the multiplayer section of the modification, due to the size of the level, and its enjoyability. This will be a Deathmatch only level. At the time of writing, this is still in development, as the Crysis containers are being replaced by our own more detailed versions, along with some other changes to the level.
    To finish off this month's update, here is The Darkness. We've got the furthest in development with this level, and are able to show you a flythrough of the level as well. Please bare in mind, like the other two levels, this is still in development, and changes are still being made.

Recruitment:
    • C++ Coder
    • Flowgrapher
    • Character Modeller
    • Vehicle/Prop Modeller
    • Texturer
    • Level Designer
    If you are interested in joining, please send me a message on here, and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thats all for this weeks update. Thank you for reading probably the longest update that i've ever written, and I'll ever write most likely. Hopefully. God, I'll end up with RSI if I'm not careful...

Links:
    ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/northern-ireland-pathfinder
    Crymod: Northern Ireland: 1983 [Sneaky Preview]
    Our Forums: http://www.crystalwolfstudios.com/forum/
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, anyone got any crits for the latest work we've done? :poly124:
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    The ar15 has some inaccuracies but theyre minor. I like the idea for a mod. A guy who was involved in this conflict told me that very early on they used stg44s before replacing them with ak74s and stuff. He indicated that they were rubbish cause the ammo was of such poor grade, being manufactured in demilitarised germany. If you need weapon references i should be able to help...
    In fact, i have a book which has an image of a backyard engineered SMG used in the conflict, it's actually not terrible looking, and accepts the sterling magazine. If you'd like me to scan, i can.

EDIT: like most people youve also modelled the AK dust cover shape pretty much completely off. Most people wouldnt notice i guess but i have a tracing of the shape made by a friend who owns one if you would like that.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    SBS in Northern Ireland?? Rather not...

Would be far more interesting if you´d taken the Detachment (as it was commonly called before being reformed to the special reconaissance regiment SRR not too long ago).

also, the HK G3(cant figure out the british designation) was extensively used during ni, especially by the SAS as it was more modern than the l1a1 and also packed more punch than the m16, which was just 556 instead of the g3´s 762 calibre.

m16a2 in the 70´s? didnt they have m16a1´s in the falklands ;)

british fn minimis go without the top heatshield and a collapsible stock (commonly called para)

dunno exactly if the beretta was around with the sneaky beakies.. however i do now they used browning hi-powers.

no scruffy hair with the oldschool´s. they wore their hair trimmed like any other soldier.
    beard stubbles are ok, ´staches were popular.

multiplayer: nato sf vs ussr sf??
    why was this mod called ni83??

however, stuff you made looks nice.
    minor niggles.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    The ar15 has some inaccuracies but theyre minor. I like the idea for a mod. A guy who was involved in this conflict told me that very early on they used stg44s before replacing them with ak74s and stuff. He indicated that they were rubbish cause the ammo was of such poor grade, being manufactured in demilitarised germany. If you need weapon references i should be able to help...
    In fact, i have a book which has an image of a backyard engineered SMG used in the conflict, it's actually not terrible looking, and accepts the sterling magazine. If you'd like me to scan, i can.

EDIT: like most people youve also modelled the AK dust cover shape pretty much completely off. Most people wouldnt notice i guess but i have a tracing of the shape made by a friend who owns one if you would like that.

Cheers, that would be a real help if you could.
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    SBS in Northern Ireland?? Rather not...

Would be far more interesting if you´d taken the Detachment (as it was commonly called before being reformed to the special reconaissance regiment SRR not too long ago).

also, the HK G3(cant figure out the british designation) was extensively used during ni, especially by the SAS as it was more modern than the l1a1 and also packed more punch than the m16, which was just 556 instead of the g3´s 762 calibre.

m16a2 in the 70´s? didnt they have m16a1´s in the falklands ;)

british fn minimis go without the top heatshield and a collapsible stock (commonly called para)

dunno exactly if the beretta was around with the sneaky beakies.. however i do now they used browning hi-powers.

no scruffy hair with the oldschool´s. they wore their hair trimmed like any other soldier.
    beard stubbles are ok, ´staches were popular.

multiplayer: nato sf vs ussr sf??
    why was this mod called ni83??

however, stuff you made looks nice.
    minor niggles.

The SBS turned up just as much as the SAS in NI in the early 80's, but after few years, only were there as part of the DET, due to a number of SAS cockups. The Det turn up as well, and a lot of actions will involve them directly, or indirectly.

Yup, the G3 is also set up to be used, probably have a view of that for the next months update. All got used, but the G3 was generally used the most for longrange type stuff, mainly due to its high power, and calibre.

Nope, had Colt Commando's, in fact. The old minimis, at least, the first ones the SAS/SBS got, had the old fullstock, and hadn't really altered it - that started happening with Gulf War 1.

Yeah, it was - not to mention, with the IRA, mainly in one of their many shipments from America. And yeah, the Browning is going to be making an appearance as a prominant sidearm for the player, though theres a good selection of them to choose from, all with different mag sizes, damage capability, range, etc...

Not quite in regards to the hair. If it was a buzzcut, they'd stick out like a sour thumb in NI, particularly with stealth work like the Det. Again, all a matter of choice at the time - most went for the long hair to fit in. I was finding it rather hard not to request a monster handlebar moustache for Mackie, or the Captain. :poly124:

Note, for the most part, the singleplayer takes place in Northern Ireland. The Multiplayer, on the other hand, doesn't have to, hence NATO sf vs. USSR sf, but still in the same time period. The links to the levels (which I couldn't show due to polycount's limit on the images you can have in a post), show that. :)

Thanks guys, info is greatly appreciated.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    too much text :poly114b:
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Great work!
    There are some really nice stuff in this thread :)

Im a little shocked that you all have decided to have the SBS as well...Mainly due to the fact that their mandate during that time was primarily covert surveillance operations and to track gun running along the coastline, with the vast majority of violent encounters being left to the SAS.

I may have missed this during the thread but im just wondering why there is no MP5?
    The SAS used this during the London Iranian embassy siege in 1980 and if im not mistaken, this is still one of their weapons of choice today and has been a mainstay since the 70's

Also I think its safe to say that the SAS/SBS would have had the M1A1 available to them during the 80's as they used them, along with the AR15 during the conflict in Borneo (1963-66), but the first operational use of the M16-A2 was during in the first Gulf War :S

Im looking forward to more updates...keep it up and i think the mod will be amazing :)
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work!
    There are some really nice stuff in this thread :)

Im a little shocked that you all have decided to have the SBS as well...Mainly due to the fact that their mandate during that time was primarily covert surveillance operations and to track gun running along the coastline, with the vast majority of violent encounters being left to the SAS.

I may have missed this during the thread but im just wondering why there is no MP5?
    The SAS used this during the London Iranian embassy siege in 1980 and if im not mistaken, this is still one of their weapons of choice today and has been a mainstay since the 70's

Also I think its safe to say that the SAS/SBS would have had the M1A1 available to them during the 80's as they used them, along with the AR15 during the conflict in Borneo (1963-66), but the first operational use of the M16-A2 was during in the first Gulf War :S

Im looking forward to more updates...keep it up and i think the mod will be amazing :)

Heh, theres a reason the SBS have been included - mainly as they were heavily involved with 14 INT, and some of the levels require the SBS to be involved, or it wouldn't work properly. COD4 ain't accurate at all about the SAS storming a ship - they don't have the training to start with. :poly124: Not to mention, the SBS are rarely used in media, mainly as they aren't that well known.

Yup, we've got quite a selection of H&K weapons in there, and the MP5 will definately turn up for the player to use.

Damn, looks like I was wrong about the M16A2 then. Ahhh, it'll be fine, theres only minor differences, and its already been modelled... Not to mention, if we move onto another project after this, means we dont have to make a more recent one.

Thanks mate! If you want to follow us, and keep up with updates, your best bet is to go to the moddb page, and watch the mod there - generally gets the first update out of the sites we post on, not to mention e-mails you when we've updated. :poly124:
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    LOL
    I realise that the SAS have been misrepresented in games and the like, so no worries there :P
    The games got it all wrong :(

In reality your average SAS soldier is 9 feet tall, shoots flaming swords from every orifice and regularly deflect tank shells, incendiary grenades and ICBM 's off their pectorals and lats..
    You know that part in terminator, where Arnie get all his flesh burnt off and then breaks free from the pire? That was a SAS officer who decided to help out while he was on holiday...it only took 48hrs for the skin to grow back too!
    Like Rock they are.

Thought i would set the record straight on that one! :P

And you are very correct that SBS were heavily involved with the DET. :D
    Attention to detail..i love it :)

The main reason behind the formation of the DET was due to the MRF being compromised after IRA interrogated some double agents, who then spilled the beans which caused the death of an undercover operative.
    14 Intelligence Company were then formed, with SAS officers at the helm, who performed the selection and training necessary by creating a special unit of 22nd SAS.
    The SBS were heavily used for surveillance whilst working with/in the DET as it was seen to be beneficial because the experience could be traded from all parties involved, which would make the whole unit stronger.
    So no worries there then...if the narrative requires you too include the SBS..so be it!
    Im sure it will be groovy :)

I will sign up for the ModDB page too :)
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL
    I realise that the SAS have been misrepresented in games and the like, so no worries there :P
    The games got it all wrong :(

In reality your average SAS soldier is 9 feet tall, shoots flaming swords from every orifice and regularly deflect tank shells, incendiary grenades and ICBM 's off their pectorals and lats..
    You know that part in terminator, where Arnie get all his flesh burnt off and then breaks free from the pire? That was a SAS officer who decided to help out while he was on holiday...it only took 48hrs for the skin to grow back too!
    Like Rock they are.

Thought i would set the record straight on that one! :P

And you are very correct that SBS were heavily involved with the DET. :D
    Attention to detail..i love it :)

The main reason behind the formation of the DET was due to the MRF being compromised after IRA interrogated some double agents, who then spilled the beans which caused the death of an undercover operative.
    14 Intelligence Company were then formed, with SAS officers at the helm, who performed the selection and training necessary by creating a special unit of 22nd SAS.
    The SBS were heavily used for surveillance whilst working with/in the DET as it was seen to be beneficial because the experience could be traded from all parties involved, which would make the whole unit stronger.
    So no worries there then...if the narrative requires you too include the SBS..so be it!
    Im sure it will be groovy :)

I will sign up for the ModDB page too :)

Exactly my point. They also shoot balls of fire from their eyes, and bolts of lighting from their ar*e! Plus, all of these... http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Little-known_Facts_about_the_SAS

Aye, its one of the reasons that they're in there, not to mention, it makes a nice change from having an SAS lad as the main character, but an SBS guy. Also allows us to use some waterbased skills, but also some aeronautical type stuff - jumping out of planes, for example. (Pretty much, the SBS are even more hardcore than the SAS! I mean, look at this lot for skills... http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/SBS)

Still, yeah, its a good idea to sign up on the ModDB page purely as it gets the updates first, then its Crymod/Here.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Squiggers wrote: »
    The old minimis, at least, the first ones the SAS/SBS got, had the old fullstock, and hadn't really altered it - that started happening with Gulf War 1.

I think the point he was making is that the upper heatshield is a modification on the minimi and a characteristic of the american made SAWs
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    I think the point he was making is that the upper heatshield is a modification on the minimi and a characteristic of the american made SAWs

Ah, yeah, I see now. Woops. :poly124:
  • psychoticprankster
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got an update coming this weekend for stuff to be critiqued by you guys - some complete, some still in progress work, along with features that we're currently developing.

By the way, if theres anyone whos interested in giving us a hand (Mainly environmental work - such as modelling/texturing props) please let me know, as we could do really do with a hand to get this to an alpha stage!

As a bit of a teaser, heres the Counter Terrorist gear worn by the SAS, modelled by Alex Jupp.

SAS-Wip3.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baVDcjv5-E[/ame]

reminds me of "the crazies"

gnarly suit! Can't wait to see more updates!!!
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, brilliant stuff!

How did I guess that was a George Romero film? =P

Theres gonna be an update Friday/Saturday hopefully - ideally Friday, as i'm planning on causing havok on Halloween. ;)
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright chaps, got a load of stuff to update you with tonight. I apoligise for the sketchy information relating to poly count on several of these pieces, but as I don't have a PC that can run 3DS max, i don't have the ability to check the poly count before i put work up for critique. I'll hopefully be rectifying that with a shiny new PC soon however. :)

First off, we have the Harrier GR3, modelled by JM Christopher. This is currently being modelled using Maya - this is going to be the high poly model, and then the high poly will be used to bake onto a lower poly model of 20K polys. This is probably about 70% at present.

Harrier_GR3.jpg

Next, we've got a load of high poly stuff from Mr Smive. He recently joined us, and is one hell of a speedy modeller. First, we have a range of H&K weapons - the MP5-K, the MP5-SD, and the MP5-A2 for the modification:

MP5-K.jpg
    MP5-SD.jpg
    MP5.jpg

The SPAS-12, with a longer than normal barrel due to it being one of the early models:
    (This is a slightly unfinished model, as theres parts that have been changed on the final piece. Unfortunately... I...erm, can't find the image right now. :\)

SPAS-12-2.jpg

The Double-barrelled Shotgun/Sawn off:
    (The grey clay models are the low poly, the one with the nice materials are the high poly)

Doublebarreled_Shotgun_Sawnoff.jpg

As Mr Smive's final contribution to this months update, we have the 81mm mortar, heavily used by the IRA for its firepower over long ranges.

81mm_Mortar.jpg

We've also had progress in regards to our organic modelling - we've had a lot of progress for the SAS/SBS team, but their hair is placeholder, and i'd rather wait til it was complete before showing, even though they look fantastic as it is. If you look at one of my earlier posts, we've got the CRW Kit of the SAS, and we have "The Face Of The Republic" as Dave Campbell termed his creation of a paramilitary head:

Face_Of_The_Republic.jpg

Recently, Hamstyer decided to create a high poly version of his P220 - some errors that you can see on the render have apparantly already been rectified. This currently stands at 17K polys.

Sig_P220.jpg

To finish off, we have the Westland Lynx being developed by Anthony Scroggins. At present, the majority of the exterior has been completed, with some areas still needing smoothing off, then work on the interior and external weapons can begin (Either twin GPMGs, Rocket Pods, or Torpedos... Ooooo, BOOM! :poly124:)

Lynx-1.jpg
    Lynx-2.jpg

There are images of other work that we've done, such as the level design for the project, but I didn't feel it was relative to Polycount. If you'd still like to see what else we've done, then have a look at our ModDB page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/northern-ireland-pathfinder

Also, if anyone is interested in helping out, we'd really appreciate the help - primarily, we're in dire need of prop modellers, animators, and texturers. If you're interested, please let me know!

Crits would be really appreciated on what I've put up here, by the way!

Thanks,

-J
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow! i think you might be going a bit crazy on the actual history here!

first off, although most of these guns could perhaps, teniously be placed in NI at the time, they'd be very uncommon. Theres a crazy number of guns there, and as someone who's lived in NI all my life, I've never seen the half of em. Slr, sure. ak, sure, spas-12 shotgun? i don't think so. i also can't say i've seen too many harriers flying about lol.

i'd stop with the guns right now as you have a crap laod of them, and virtually none are actually finished. also, when it came to guns the ra used, it would have mostly any crap they could get their hands on, like some russian/chinese crap.

i think you need to focus on some characters, level building, environment stuff etc
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace wrote: »
    wow! i think you might be going a bit crazy on the actual history here!

first off, although most of these guns could perhaps, teniously be placed in NI at the time, they'd be very uncommon. Theres a crazy number of guns there, and as someone who's lived in NI all my life, I've never seen the half of em. Slr, sure. ak, sure, spas-12 shotgun? i don't think so. i also can't say i've seen too many harriers flying about lol.

i'd stop with the guns right now as you have a crap laod of them, and virtually none are actually finished. also, when it came to guns the ra used, it would have mostly any crap they could get their hands on, like some russian/chinese crap.

i think you need to focus on some characters, level building, environment stuff etc

I guess these are guns that the British army uses?

This really makes me want to read up on IRA. Where did they get their guns? Would IRA get old soviet stuff smuggled from Europe, or surplus from British army somehow?

I'd love to see some finished stuff. I think the high-polies look pretty good.

Materials on the shotgun seem kind of plastic imo. More work needs to go into the spec, and there should be more grit and dirtiness.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True for the IRA pre-70s, but as of the 1980s, they were modernising heavily - mainly thanks to fundraising in the USA thanks to NORAID, arms smuggled in via Libya/Eastern Europe, and attacking some army bases (Mainly scandanvian ones). They had quite a lot of high tech gear available to them, including some SAM-7s (Never used), and even flamethrowers (Might have been used once or twice, can't remember).

Some of the gear isn't/wasn't nessecarily available for use by PIRA - but as we're focusing on a splinter group which is meant to be better armed, and the story branches into Libya and the USSR in the later parts of the story... well, you can probably see what i'm getting at.

We are also focusing on environmental and organic stuff, but theres only so much I can really show in one update without overloading the viewer (Got updates on ModDB, and Crymod. Sometimes better to suprise the viewer. For example, the SAS/SBS team heads and overall design is near enough done, but they're being saved until we've got a bit more done on them, and can give a nice big fat update on them.)

We've been focusing on one level at a time - first being the RAF base, hence we've got aircraft being worked on. These aircraft will likely also be turning up later in the game, along with the multiplayer portion of the modification.

Yeah, we're mainly trying to pick up skilled texture guys to get these weapons in game, along with one or two animators - we do have textures for some stuff, but as always peoples jobs delays us heavily in regards to time, and it generally hits the texturers worse for some reason. :( Plus, finding animators willing to work with CE2 is like finding gold dust, as its a tad different than Source and Unreal apparantly - rarer than coders even, believe it or not.

I'd also like to add, like any volunteer project, we've got guys who've got full time jobs (George Sokol, and JM Christopher are two examples, as they're two of our main environmental artists), who are delayed by work schedules for example - reason why we've got to wait a good week or two before George can crack on with the Landrover again, as hes got a lot of design work to do for an Iphone game hes doing.

Okay, cheers for the info on the shotgun, i'll pass on the comments so we can improve it. :)

I'll update within about... 2-3 weeks with more stuff to get critiqued here, and it will include some more organic and environmental stuff. probably before the other sites, in fact. :P
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the release of the Unreal Dev Kit yesterday, we're currently evaluating what our best options are in regards to development - afterall, Unreal is significantly easier to use, and set stuff up in (the max rig actually fits Unreal's set up, whereas it doesn't fit Crysis's, and thats just one example of the advantages.)

Anyway - a decision will likely be reached this weekend, or by the 11th.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, we're now building using the UDK. It was too good a chance to pass up.

Anyway, if we could get some critique on this stuff, we'd really appreciate it.

Firstly, got an Ammo Box:
    Ammobox.jpg

And a Makarov PM:
    i4qpo9.jpg

We do have more stuff on the way, but we're trying to get a lot more stuff ready in what little time we have at the moment.

Plus, as we're now an Indie game, we've entered into the ModDB Indie Game of The Year awards. If you like us enough, and think that we deserve it, please vote for us!

http://www.moddb.com/games/northern-ireland-pathfinder

We should have a very large update around New Years, mostly environmental stuff. We've got stuff thats been done, but I see little point in posting unfinished stuff as of yet. ;)

-Josh
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. This is looking really great man! I always look forward to updates on this project.
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd add another update to this one, as I hadn't done for some time. :P

I'll seperate this into two posts, or it'll take me for ever to reformat these posts properly, so it doesn't make the images huge!

On April 1st, we'd decided to do an April Fool's day update, claiming we'd changed to a racing game based in the 1980s. We got quite a bit more support than we'd actually suspected that we would for this new game type.

Feel free to give your opinions on the work we did for the joke.

Heres some of the concept pieces that we came up with. Click on each image for a full size version!

cart3.jpgNI-racers.jpgcart.jpgcart2.jpg

track.jpg

We also created a few other bits and pieces, such as "proto-type" models/textures for the "new direction".

55wk1.jpg

Ramp.jpg

Powerups.jpg

StartSign.jpg

I'll be posting the actual work we've been doing probably on friday, when i've managed to get my most important exam done. Feel free to give suggestions, critique, whatever about what work we've been doing - we'd love to hear it. :)
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, can someone explain why the resizing tool in the posting bar doesn't actually resize the images? :P