Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art-Machine.com returns from the dead

Hey guys, my online portfolio is back in business tonight after 3 years of horrible stagnation weeeee.
I'd like to take this chance to also mention that I'm currently hearing offers from studios worldwide.
Also feel free to recommend studios based on what you see, I'm not aware of all good studios out there.

Art-Machine.com

Go easy on me I'm no web design guru! Have a look.

People that have followed my threads will find shots of my zbrush meshes within as promised. As well as some pieces i may not have posted here before.

Replies

• Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great man!

Your info link doesn't work (404 error).
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    hot damn. nice stuff man. that diabolos is sweet!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i dig it man. my only quirk is the Diabolos sculpt. With everything else in your portfolio, I just feel this is your weakest piece. your low-poly characters heavily outweight this guy. none of your other pieces state that they're millions or thousands of polys in the sculpt, and saying that this character has such a dense mesh hurts the piece even more. it may just be my PO, but i'm just not feelin' him.
    all your weapons are just great and i love the seed glider creature. this is really good stuff man. your logo made me feel all fuzzy inside. :)

as for the site, i just don't like all the jpeg artifacting going on. it loads fast, but it is muddy as a result.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow everything looks great from final fantasy.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    The site works and functions as it should. I like your work a lot!
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your info link doesn't work (404 error).
    Thought i checked them all but turns out it was the front page one that didn't work, duhh! Thanks fixed that.
    With everything else in your portfolio, I just feel this is your weakest piece. your low-poly characters heavily outweight this guy. none of your other pieces state that they're millions or thousands of polys in the sculpt, and saying that this character has such a dense mesh hurts the piece even more. it may just be my PO, but i'm just not feelin' him.
    I think you just don't like him. I actually thought he made the rest of my stuff look like crap even though it's over a year old. I do agree it currently is a mismatch however, as the only "high res only" piece on there so far. But i think it serves its purpose of demonstrating that i don't just do "cute and simple". I stated the poly count because it's always the first question industry folk ask for a piece like that.
    as for the site, i just don't like all the jpeg artifacting going on. it loads fast, but it is muddy as a result.
    I'll resave the top bar at a higher quality, but the more vague areas i'll keep as is for loading fast.

Thanks for the comments guys.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful stuff, functional site.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Really love the design of your site Art, has a great style to it, that you really don't see from a lot of other portfolio sites. Makes it your own, that's for sure.

Your work (texture work big time) is fantastic (as other's have said) and I think your weapon work / props are solid, and I love the little plant scene as well.

I semi agree with firebert about the diablos character, but I think you should leave it in there for now, and if a later sculpt comes along, you can always replace it. I personally don't think it will hinder your portfolio.

Don't know if you're on the hunt for a new studio (seems like that from your sig and first post) so if so, I wish you good luck man :)
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your work and I disagree about sculpted character looking weak.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    your moogle is fantastic, and that's not the beer talking
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    love your style ! Both your modeling and texturing are top notch ! I saw in your resume/info that you worked in the comics industry on some exiting project and I'm REALLY surprised to not see these in your portfolio (did I mention that I'd like to see them?! ^^). Having 10 years in the industry behind you and just a few artwork to show is just... weird :)

As for the website itself, I'm not super found of the design, it's a bit too "heavy" (for my taste) and looks like it won't allow you to add alot of work without redesigning the portfolio page. I'm not a webdesigner god neither, but I found in wordpress the best solution so far for us "poor game artist" :) Flexible, lots of customizable themes and LIGHT.

Anyways, just my humble thoughts and it doesn't take away all the beautiful work present on your website !
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Hi.

I like your work. I have known 4 of your projects and didn`t know they are made by this same man. :)

Good luck.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all
    love your style ! Both your modeling and texturing are top notch ! I saw in your resume/info that you worked in the comics industry on some exiting project and I'm REALLY surprised to not see these in your portfolio (did I mention that I'd like to see them?! ^^). Having 10 years in the industry behind you and just a few artwork to show is just... weird :)

The reason I don't show any comics stuff is that the work they demonstrate doesn't contribute much to a game modeler's portfolio and would be un-necessary clutter. What counts is the professional experience it gave me, which is covered in my resume.

As for the lack of any Ubisoft shots, quite honestly, they would weaken my portfolio. Surf's Up : Bunch of diffuse-only cartoony tiling textures, Vegas 2 : Tiling cement, Tiling cement, More tiling cement, sometimes with cement too!

Avatar however is portfolio gold, I am very happy with many of the pieces I created on that project and could make a portfolio with those alone. Unfortunately they are under lock and key in 'ubisoft fortress'. Nobody can take a scrap of anything out of the building until the game is released, and rumors suggest we won't be allowed our portfolio shots even after release.... Definitely going to be adding my avatar stuff the instant I can get my hands on it.

So there you have it, every reason i had to bust my ass for most of this year to make a whole portfolio from scratch.
    As for the website itself, I'm not super found of the design, it's a bit too "heavy" (for my taste) and looks like it won't allow you to add alot of work without redesigning the portfolio page.
    Though i cant comment on the heavyness, it is set up in such a way as to be infinitely vertically expandable, so adding more content will be easy. I agree its not the most slick and profesionnal design/execution, but it'll have to do for now.
    I like your work. I have known 4 of your projects and didn`t know they are made by this same man. :)
    Heh well I was just part of a whole.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Great to see your site has finally gone up, big fan of your work. Was surprised that it was you who did the Diablo piece as I remembered seeing that on the zbrush central forums last year and thinking it was bad ass.

As for the site itself, I have to agree with what others have said on it being sort of bulky/heavy. Most screens are much wider then tall, and yet I have to scroll up/down when not even half the width of my screen is being filled by the contents on your page.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was challenging to present these shots as large as possible, without being too large for smaller screens. That's why i made the layout more long than wide. Also i found that in a vertical layout, having different image widths made things look random and thrown together, so i reformatted all my images to be 1024 wide across the board. This is why a lot of shots looks wide and short, since they were made from initially square images. I think in my next pieces, shots will be a lot more uniform like the Machimera, now that i have the 1024 width guideline.

I would like some clarification on the bulky comments. Do you guys mean the actual interface stuff or what?

It's hard to present large images and try to keep smaller resolutions in mind. I would have liked to have some code like the awesome image re-size of this site, but again not much of a web head over here.

EDIT :

-Gave the top image jpg a better quality compression
    -Added mailto links on all sections (hopefully the mailbot confuser code works, probably won't)
    -Added printer friendly version of the resume.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your work, great clean presentation. Fantastic textures.
    I like the fact you used separate pages for your pieces rather than pop-ups, I like opening stuff in multiple tabs.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Your stuff is so refreshing man, nice work.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Great work! Only thing I can say, is to add your texture sheets for your Sunburst Environment. Really inspiring stuff man.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    You ought to be working toward Blizzard m8, high saturation, stylization and myth runs through all your work and you do well with lower specs than the high end stuff ( though you demonstrate being highly capable with that also).

Seems like a clear fit to me and theres a good few polycounters there already that might lend an ear no?
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, looking at your sites, I see a lot of excellent stuff myself.

Kevin, I totally agree about Blizzard. They were initially top of list for the job hunt. But then i found out more about the area they're in, it sounds like an environment more for settling down with a family. I think for now I still need to travel the world a bit before I settle in to a great 'destination' company like Blizzard. I'll keep them on the horizon for now, wait until I want to plant roots.

PS guys: Looking through my old comics and 2D files, some of it is more decent than i remembered. I'm going to convert the Environment row into a 2D section now, and put 3d enviro stuff into the same row as props. Will let you guys know when the new content is up, probably tomorrow cuz i gotta dig through a million CDs now.
  • Lulu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely love your characters. So much personality and style, you're bookmarked in my inspiration folder :3
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, great website with a lot of cool stuff!

I enjoyed it a lot, thanks
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you two,

As mentioned above I have now changed the layout to accommodate a 2D section. After thinking about it, although it's not strictly useful to a modeler's portfolio, it's probably beneficial to show illustration ability. I also included what comic book work files i could find on short notice. The sketchbook section will be filled in more over the coming days as i scour my sketchbooks and scan stuff in.

You might have to refresh for the main page to update fully. I hope it doesn't distract too much from the 3d stuff.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Doesn't that just mean there will be more frustrated chicks around for you to move in on? I mean, an area that safe and stable for raising a family is also an area where its safer to wander around drunk or stoned late at night at the weekend also.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff added in the sketchbook section.
    Also nudged the navigation to the right for visual balance, as a results pages viewed yesterday may need to be refreshed for proper clicking alignment.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Love the way your work is presented. The thumbnails give a great view of what I'll be clicking on, and the entire site is very clean and professional looking. I dig how the images open in separate tabs. As for the work itself, very inspiring pieces.

As for the comic pieces, I still frequently pick up the Dreamwave Transformers comics and read through them. Your coloring work on those is fantastic!
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just occured to me to test the site in InternetExplorer, anyone else getting a mess-up in the interface image line-up in several gallery pieces? I'm surprised nobody mentioned it already. I hate this kind of inconsistency now i'm conerned about other browsers. and i can't figure out how to fix this.

Edit : I found the problem, gona take a whole lot of manual html shuffling to fix. I'm on it..

Edit2 : Crisis averted.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good man nice stuff. also like the background in comics:) moogle shopkeep is awesome

-Woog
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    The misc 2D work really surprised me, and I'm glad you decided to include it. It's a bad idea for most 3D artists because they haven't had enough practice and focus to keep their 2D work up to the standards of their 3D, but I'd say you're clearly an exception to that. Great portfolio.

One crit I'd offer though is that it'd be better to have the site horizontally centered rather than set on the left. Right now it doesn't even reach past the middle of my screen, which feels a bit awkward. You definitely want to keep it the current size to accommodate a wide range of monitor resolutions, but having it centered will be very preferable for anyone with around a 1080p monitor.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome stuff!!! your life sketches and random doodles are awesome. Really dig all the work you have up there, those weapons are ace!

kickass!!!
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Way to go Pierre! glad to see the folio puted together.
    Shame indeed you cannot show anything from avatar you work on it looked ace =)
    *Highfives*
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    real art, man)
    waiting fore more)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work!