Home Technical Talk

Merging Cylinders

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
What would be the best way to merge all 3 pieces here so the two top angled cylinders (1 & 2) join at the middle and converge into the base (3)

Cylindermerge.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: in maya btw

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I would first rotate each of the top cylinders so that they aren't touching each other. Then get them each as close to the bottom cylinder as possible (while still making sure they aren't intersecting).

I would insert an edge loop on cylinder 1 & 2 near their base. Then delete the inner half of each cylinder below the edge loop. After that just snap all the points together and bridge the gaps.

I know it would help a lot more with an image but I'm headed home for the day, maybe someone else will post a pic. Hope that helped some.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're looking for the Cut Faces Tool? There's a way to slice the object along an angle but I forget how. Anywho, Edit Poly > Cut Faces should get the job done.

You could try Booleans but I'm pretty positive that will make a mess.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys, I tried your method jocose but i was having a hard time keeping the consistency of the cylinder, maybe i misunderstood what you were trying to get at.

I dont know why that didnt occur to me before vig, one slice rite down the middle of 1 and 2 and that does it. Thanks man
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah slice trumps my idea if you are trying to get something just like your reference. What I had suggested would have resulted in more of a joint where everything intersects. Good call Vig.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooo good call, just make sure the bottom cylinder is easily cut in half without creating extra edges.
  • Tactical Bagpipe
    To keep the diameter of the cylinders consistent there needs to be a little bit of adjustment where they meet at the base.

pc1m.th.jpg

This is in modo btw. Rotated top cylinder, sliced down the middle, lined middle point up with bottom cylinder, sliced where the outer edges intersect, Mirrored, slid edges for SubD