Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Styilzed Face Quickie

Hey dudes, Chaos V49 here! I was inspired by stuff today that got me wanting to well..just make stuff really. I've been doing Max for around 3 years and I got Zbrush around 3 months ago. I just went ahead and decided to do a small face characature. How is it for my first semi serious sculpt? (and no I don't have a base mesh from max I just done it from a sphere)

NOTE : Please take a look at my Zbrush work thread and see my progress. (I also wanted to do this because I remember somone saying I need to do forms and real anatomy (even if it does suck) instead of some of the stuff you'll see there)

243ox6r.png

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    .......right :)
    If this is actually serious, heres what i suggest :)
    You went in on the detail way too quickly,after a quick block-in of the facial features at subd lvl1, you should go in and shape the whole sphere to form the neck,the back of the head,the forehead etc.
    I suggest using a basemesh from someone else to get you going on your faces. Arsh's bust seems like a nice base to get your hands on. Making a simple box in max/maya isnt that hard, you should try that aswell.
    When sculpting, you should probably underlay reference images just to help you place your elements better
    I really cant tell if you didnt add the ears or if you let the whole face ovoid on purpose or not.....
    Watch some zbrush tutorial videos aswell

Good luck :)
  • Chaosv49
    Thanks. It's only a small test. No ears or neck intended really..

Detail? Looks like forms to me and not like cuts and skin alphas or anything.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I hate to make fun of begginers, but i can't help but think of that:

6154.jpg
  • Chaosv49
    Begginer in Zbrush.

The title is called FACE for a reason.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Chaosv49 with that attitude, i'm sure you will get great advice and cheers. Really, not changed much since last time, then i will go with the same advice: observe.
  • Chaosv49
    "Really, not changed much since last time" and that means?
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    woah dude,you really should calm down.....
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    You should have spent more than 45 minutes and worried less about being stylized if you wanted to focus on improving your anatomy
  • Chaosv49
    I lol'd hard. I've done nothing wrong.
    That Beat idiot said : I hate to make fun of begginers, but i can't help but think of that:

Pretty much making fun of me and I have to sit and take it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Nope... you're free to go OR stop sucking at any time.

Now get crackin on something and put some effort into it. It looks like you can pull off a decent face but just didn't do it this time around. (that was as close to a complement you're getting for the moon face)

It's stylized because that's the way it came out or that's how you meant it to be?

Follow one of the 8 billion zbrush tutorials on sculpting a face/head/bust, it will help. There are methods to the madness other than "push in for eyes" "extrude duck bill for lips".
  • Zack Fowler
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    This isn't deviantart. Put genuine effort into the work you post on P&P or prepare to be mocked.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    Here's something that helped me out with caricatures
    http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/tag/how-to-draw-caricatures/
    start from the bottom article and work your way up
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Stylization really isn't a coverall for non-realism. The word implies that a style has been applied to a subject so as to intentionally stray from a photorealistic representation, as an aesthetic choice.

Likewise, the word quickie doesn't vindicate largely unfinished endeavors simply by virtue of being completed to their current state in a relatively short period of time.

It's kind of like picking up a basketball, taking a shot at a 3 pointer, hitting the backboard but not sinking it, and then going, "Yeah, that shot was stylized. I wasn't trying to get it in the net or anything. So, what do you think of my quickie basketball game? Am I getting better? This is my first semi-serious match."

You probably wouldn't do that if you were trying to learn how to play basketball. That would be silly. People would make fun of you.

And you'd probably look pretty foolish if you responded to anyone who commented on your backboard-style quickie bball tournament by getting defensive like, "Well I'm new to basketball, but I've been playing golf for years, so I'm not a beginner at sports. Don't make fun of me! Idiot. I'm not gonna take that.".

Just saying.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You say this is an "anatomy test". May I ask what reference you used for this "anatomy"? It doesn't look like any I've ever seen.

If you're serious about doing an "anatomy study", then you should start by examining the structure of the face - the bones, the muscles, and the distribution of fatty fascia which are all what make up the end result. If you know these things, then you can employ the knowledge to create realistic or stylised results effectively.

Learn to study how light falls on photos of people's faces, understand the "planes" formed by the underlying anatomy, and reconstruct that in ZBrush by doing studies of people - use photos of famous people from google, or take photos of yourself or your friends. Try to make a likeness of someone, and take into account what it is about the underlying structure that makes each part of the face look the way it is.

Don't get all defensive, either - you posted this saying it was an "anatomy test" and you said yourself that you were trying to study the forms and anatomy. All I can say is... keep trying. It's the only way you will get better. Ignore people who aren't being helpful with their feedback. Don't assume that your work is brilliant, start out by assuming your work is flawed, and work from that point forwards. That way you will only get better.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gettin in on this!

It looks like a basketball.

HA!

(kidding around ya'll)
  • Jarod1872
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarod1872 polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think it's bad, personally. Although I agree with maybe labeling it an anatomy test was a poor choice of words. As far as just the face goes though, I think it looks fine, if a little generic. If you're looking for some ways to improve though, I would say any of the tutorials people already mentioned. Oh, and just ignore people if you think they're being unhelpful. At least they're commenting on your post and bumping it up, right? :)
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Chaosv49 wrote: »
    Pretty much making fun of me and I have to sit and take it?

yep. suck it up princess, get up and try again.
  • Chaosv49
    fly_soup wrote: »
    Stylization really isn't a coverall for non-realism. The word implies that a style has been applied to a subject so as to intentionally stray from a photorealistic representation, as an aesthetic choice.

Likewise, the word quickie doesn't vindicate largely unfinished endeavors simply by virtue of being completed to their current state in a relatively short period of time.

It's kind of like picking up a basketball, taking a shot at a 3 pointer, hitting the backboard but not sinking it, and then going, "Yeah, that shot was stylized. I wasn't trying to get it in the net or anything. So, what do you think of my quickie basketball game? Am I getting better? This is my first semi-serious match."

You probably wouldn't do that if you were trying to learn how to play basketball. That would be silly. People would make fun of you.

And you'd probably look pretty foolish if you responded to anyone who commented on your backboard-style quickie bball tournament by getting defensive like, "Well I'm new to basketball, but I've been playing golf for years, so I'm not a beginner at sports. Don't make fun of me! Idiot. I'm not gonna take that.".

Just saying.

Spot on :poly142:
  • Chaosv49
    Jarod1872 wrote: »
    I don't think it's bad, personally. Although I agree with maybe labeling it an anatomy test was a poor choice of words. As far as just the face goes though, I think it looks fine, if a little generic. If you're looking for some ways to improve though, I would say any of the tutorials people already mentioned. Oh, and just ignore people if you think they're being unhelpful. At least they're commenting on your post and bumping it up, right? :)

Right XD twas' a very poor choice of words... :/ Thanks for the comment at the start.
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    It's fine to start from a sphere, just use the move tool first.
  • Chaosv49
    Sorry...but who said I didn't. I don't want to get like annoyed or whatever but is it not completley obvious that I have? How else would I get the parts out..?
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I mean use the move tool to play around with the sphere and make it, well not a sphere. Start blocking things out as a whole head. You can take a sphere and just start going at it with the move tool and have it start feeling like a head in no time. I know that you said this is just a "face" but if your studying anatomy you may as well go for the whole head rather than just the face so you can actually see where things fall on the head etc.
  • Chaosv49
    Yeah I wasn't thinking right as I said about the word anatomy.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Chaos...

This isn't nearly as bad as a lot of the posts i see here on a regular basis. It is flawed, but not as terrible as some people make it sound. The guys who are suggesting to ignore the not-helpful comments are right. Get good at filtering BS and listen to the message.

Posting on forums is a good way to get good at filtering BS too.

If someone suggests that you do something that you've already done, assume there's something wrong with the piece that suggests you didn't do that. It's easy to assume with the lack of definition in the shape/anatomy of the head, and that the points weren't moved around to make it look like the shape of a head, that you simply used the standard brushes to pull your forms out. Which is VERY easy to do in zbrush.

Ask yourself, "ok, i did do that, but how can i do it better..." and if you need clarification on something, ask for that clarification...

It's been said, but it's really important to not get frustrated. Putting up walls to critisism is the fastest way to get in a rut, and not get better.

You can't control the reactions people have to your posts... but you can control the reactions you have to their reactions.

Post more iterations of the piece... stop posting defenses for the piece.

cheers.
  • Chaosv49
    Very, very nice post and I agree. Was acting immaturley. I'll get my BS Filter helmet out next time ;P

Thanks for the compliment (I think -lol)