Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] - nick culpin

http://njculpin.com/

Current progress...have a couple of semesters left but I wanted to put together a progress reel. I am currently looking for work. the work displayed contains concept design, illustration and a general modeling reel.

Any input on any of my projects is greatly appreciated...

few thesis concept samples:

"Bonnie"

officerfaceFront_lg.jpg
bikeside_lg.jpg
mikeFront_lg.jpg
bonnieFACE_lg.jpg

thank you so much for your time

Nick Culpin
www.njculpin.com

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why are you showing a wire frame from the motorbike or guns? I already know they are ridiculously hgh poly, so, I'm not learning anything from them. Get rid of Frog lord. The lip synch needs a LOT of work. Would get rid of that as well. Your best work is the dolphin, but your turn around for it is terrible. Can not see any detail. And right after that, you show me some low detail, boring turn around of a guy? Not good mate. Why did you do the skin on another map to?

What exacly are you trying to get into or demonstrate yourself as?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    AO turntables are pretty old school, I would much rather see a final polished game asset, textured with a great normal map derived from the HP models. also the cuts between the wireframe overlays, especially on the frog are snappy and jarring, a nice crossfade would smooth that out.

The texture sheet from the dude looks really blotchy and unpolished, too much scribble action going on, and overall just needs more work and detailing to be up to industry standards.

I like the bike model its pretty nice but again a game asset version of it would probably help you get a job quicker as it shows you are capable of making game ready art.

I would just keep making new art that uses what you have learned so far and expand upon it.

cheers dude.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Just some thoughts on the demo reel. Make that whale the first thing (its great!), get rid of the frog character, get rid of the animated head altogether (don't be an 80% modeler, 20% animator type, focus it 100% on either one). The gun is fine, but you should texture it, and bake the normal on a low poly, etc. The motorcycle is also nice, but again, get some texturing going? I'm not a huge fan of the Mime character, but if you can't let it go, try and get some character guys to critique you on that and improve it.

Take the whale idea, and know that that is your best piece, and from now on, aim for maintaining that quality. Also, decide, do you enjoy vehicles more, or characters more, or perhaps animals? Try and move your focus to one or the other.
  • culpin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys...this is simply progress, like i stated before im still in school. The reel simply demonstrates my current work with no major focus intended. I do agree with all of the comments made thus far.