Home General Discussion

Neotokyo

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Epic looking hl2 mod that was just released, thats loosley based on the universe from ghost in the shell.

Only heard good things so far so fingers crossed it will be awesome.

http://www.neotokyohq.com/

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, I'm downloading it now.
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their trailer was interesting. Downloading now...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really enjoying it so far :D.

The game definatly rewards going slower and watching your back. Plenty of servers up, even some auzzie ones which is awesome.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah true, if you get out of your cover you're dead for sure, and plus like Muzz said there are alot of servers plays great so far :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I have a retarded question (never played a mod before). Do I actually need HL2 installed to play this? Or will any source engine game do?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Any game that gives you the source sdk will do.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though this is technically a mod it might as well be called an indy game... i mean hell it isnt even based off a single game, its based off an engine.

I think it just cheapens total conversions like this by calling it a mod.
  • [Deleted User]
    Not an independent game if it's not commercial
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait what?

So your saying that things like cave story arent indie games, and all the guys who run things like tig source and the igf are wrong?

Independant games, and independently published games are two very different things.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    man this has been worked on forever! excellent to see this released, congrats to any pcers that worked on it at some point.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Wait what?

So your saying that things like cave story arent indie games, and all the guys who run things like tig source and the igf are wrong?

Independant games, and independently published games are two very different things.

Cave Story is on WiiWare (now or soon). I wouldn't say that being commercial is indie, but its certainly nice for them to make money when they can. Neotokyo looks awesome. Just downloaded that and Curse Episode 1, will have to give them a go soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Muzz wrote: »
    Wait what?

I could give a fuck about non-commercial independent games, the point is that they are clearly not built around an existing game, where a mod is. An independent game is always commercially viable, a mod might be in 1% of instances where it turns out to be counter strike
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ... it isnt even based off a single game, its based off an engine.

if a game were based off another game, i'd call it a clone, or some variety of the word, depending on what it's copying.

if a game is a modification of the engine, it's called a mod. and i think that's all that should be associated with what a mod is. there is a broad spectrum of quality in the genre.

to me, an indie game describes a product that has commercial independence from a major publisher.

an indie, i'd define more as a hobbyist developer as well as a developer that works at an indie studio.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So KP you're saying that Mirror's Edge is an Unreal Tournament mod?
    FAIL
    :P
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Movement is very jerky(not because it's slow, because it feels like you have a fucking rubber band attached to your anus that pulls you back a bit every once in a while no matter what server you're on or what your ping is), also one of the maps gives me 9 fps and everything just chokes and there's that annoying Source thing that seems to be in every mod I've played where you can get stuck in a grenade(no matter how fast you're going or what you're doing, it's like hitting a wall that won't let go).

On the positive side all the weapons I tried out were quite nice and I really love the penetrating power of some of those guns. I got several kills through thin metal objects etc. And the hitboxes seem to be where the models are, a thing that quite many Source based games/mods get wrong(I haven't seen this problem in Ep2 based stuff, but Ep1 engine and before occasionally have this bullets going through problem).

This is one of those mods were a bit of teamwork can feel very rewarding. I don't know if it's the slowness of movement or the clunky aiming, but flanking maneuvers actually work in this mod.

Definitely worth checking out.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    So KP you're saying that Mirror's Edge is an Unreal Tournament mod?
    FAIL
    :P

shit ... uh .. yeah that doesn't really work... ya, that's not right ...

okay *straightens tie* try this again ... a mod is, the modification of game attributes outside of the game or engine's original boundaries to create a new game experience from the original one.

mirror's edge, wins the title ... licensed product, because they paid for it. how's that? ;p
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing this mod all night.

I have to say i've been having alot of fun on this. Great job guys! (now get on steamworks!) :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what is this game about, or whatever? It looks like japanese counter strike, whats the deal?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn, I might be a bit biased- but it plays really smooth. In some respects I almost look forward to dieing so I can fly around and look at all the detail put into the levels.
  • killingpeople
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    blah blah never mind

game looks cool!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Japanese counter-strike is a good, quick, explanation of what this is. It feels a LOT like CS back in the beta days (die quickly) only with some new abilities and a class-based selection screen.

If I were to suggest anything to the modders for near-future additions it would be for more information being sent to the player ala TF2: The first time I play a game mode or a map, I'd like to know a bit about it. Right now I'm relied on finding this information on the website. Sure, this is how its been for a LONG time in games but now that I've seen how other games are doing this, I'd love for this to be all in-game.

Sidenote: I think ALL games need an encyclopedia for that game WITHIN the game (following me so far?) so that I *never* have to leave the game to find something out, regardless of what it is). RedFaction + Worms2: Armageddon are two new titles that come to mind that do this.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I think the word visceral needs to be banned.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it'd be a shame to ban the word, because it really is a cool word.

"Having to do with the response of the body as opposed to the intellect, as in the distinction between feeling and thinking"

but the overuse in game pitches is like chinese water torture.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main point being behind questioning what is a mod and what is an indy game is that they both have the same goals, and they both require a shit load of work to be put in. The only difference is that they choose to develop using a commercial games engine as a base as opposed to starting from scratch or using an engine pointed at indies.

At what point does a mod become a game in its own right?

I mean how many people could classify counterstrike a mod these days?
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    This looks like a lot of fun and in the feel of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. Downloading now so I can check it out. Thanks for the heads up on it.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i like the OST
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like fun. Will try it =)

The whole discussion of indie vs mod vs what is a little bit useless isn't it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Vitor wrote: »
    The whole discussion of indie vs mod vs what is a little bit useless isn't it?

Of course, because to most of us the differences are blindingly obvious
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    This mod is great! I played a good chunk last night and some more this morning. Definitely Ghost in the Shell inspired which is fine by me. Still getting a handle on which class / load out to use on each map. The one map with the overpasses in an urban locale is really fun.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool, I was following this mod. I like the characters and the dropship is just awesome. Didn't play it yet though, don't have the time atm :(
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It just a discussion based around the strangness of naming something based on its origins and not its goals, it isnt a flame war so whats the harm in it?
    Of course, because to most of us the differences are blindingly obvious
    Ok smarty pants that thinks that he is better than everyone, what is so obvious about it? You didnt rebutt any of my points with logical answers, with one of your comebacks being simply "I could give a fuck about non-commercial independent games", go hang around tig source and check out how many of those games are "commercialy viable" not many are because they lack the polish. its the same with mods, 99% are pretty worthless and its only a small amount of games that reach the mass market, (like world of goo and braid).

Back on topic: this mod stole my weekend from me :(.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great visuals and fun gameplay elements, but for the love of god how much bullets does it take to kill somebody? Also the accuracy is stupid, is everybody drunk or what. Needs improvement there, but I really like the setting, sounds, lighting and most of the maps. The snow map is a bit lame, doesn't feel right, feels like one of the better custom maps or something.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snipergen wrote: »
    Great visuals and fun gameplay elements, but for the love of god how much bullets does it take to kill somebody? Also the accuracy is stupid, is everybody drunk or what. Needs improvement there, but I really like the setting, sounds, lighting and most of the maps. The snow map is a bit lame, doesn't feel right, feels like one of the better custom maps or something.

I dont know, i think it would be pretty lame if everyone had very accurate guns that would kill you in 1-2 shots. That sort of thing sucks in a game where you have to wait 5 minutes to respawn every time you die. I mean honestly, its just a matter of who has a better ping/reflexes at that point.

Also, i think the visuals are pretty sub-par. Decent for a mod i guess, but really no better than something like counterstrike source, which is what 4 or 5 years old now?

I wanna replace some of the gun models now =D
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    depends on what class you are- if your a heavy- you`ll take out a scout in 1-3 shots no problem. if your on the other end of that though. (scout taking on a heavy) then its going to be a bit tougher to taking him down.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this game sucks
    and i dont want to have anything to do with it
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah more or less
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Also, i think the visuals are pretty sub-par. Decent for a mod i guess, but really no better than something like counterstrike source, which is what 4 or 5 years old now?

Actually they're considerably worse than CS: Source; both levels and player models leave the world as a dark low contrast mess.

Still, pretty much godly for a TC.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is way to complex to install/get going, I think I gave up around step three haha.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Install the exe, then restart steam. There are only two steps...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    wooo me likey and the reload = mag toss is a fantastic idea !
    in fact its got some really neat touches all round.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Its a fairly fun little game! I think i've been spoilt a bit with valves design ideas and its a shame they didnt take some of them onboard. The low visability and noisy levels do bother me quite a bit... theres a hell of a lot of clutter, its pretty but it doesnt make for the best gameplay. The characters are a little hard to read... Considering the subject matter and the way the characters have "tech" huds, its IDEAL to implement something like L4D with nice outlines and or interesting colours. It'd really be nice to have more information given to the player that way.

Eitherway, theres some room for improvement but its fun enough! Its a nice change from the dummed down FPS that TF2 feels like.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i can't play it at work so i'll have to wait and try it out at home but the music rocks enough to warrant a purchase. eleven bucks for ~30 songs is a good deal, and VERY awesome ambient music at that ;)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty weak as far as mods go. Would much sooner dig up the original CS and play that.

Gameplay's slow and not that fun, graphics are pretty weak and hard to decern detail even in locations that are supposed to be well lit.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    Tried to play it, but it crashes on startup. Some kind of missing DLL problem, apparently other people are having the same problem. Bummer :(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Install the exe, then restart steam. There are only two steps...

Shit really? I was following that really long FAQ thing...sorry. Will try it tonight then haha. :poly136:
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's for the dedicated server Blenderhead. The first links just lead to the exe download, which is all you need.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I don't like it much. It feels like another Counter-Strike with a cloaking gimmick set in otaku's dream world. I'm probably going to hell for this with some of the artists on this board probably involved though, but it's my opinion and wasn't worth all the hype it got in my eyes. It's no Dystopia. :)

Oh and I didn't even mention the player faces....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No cheap, that is actually pretty spot on. You do reek of 1998 tho.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Its a fairly fun little game! I think i've been spoilt a bit with valves design ideas and its a shame they didnt take some of them onboard. The low visability and noisy levels do bother me quite a bit... theres a hell of a lot of clutter, its pretty but it doesnt make for the best gameplay. The characters are a little hard to read... Considering the subject matter and the way the characters have "tech" huds, its IDEAL to implement something like L4D with nice outlines and or interesting colours. It'd really be nice to have more information given to the player that way.

Eitherway, theres some room for improvement but its fun enough! Its a nice change from the dummed down FPS that TF2 feels like.

I like your opinion Jack, I'm kinda in the same boat. I get teamkilled too much and I shoot my teammates unintentionally too.

Look I like the mod, I just don't think alot of people will keep playing it. I also start to notice the flaws, floating props, some bad lighting, and maps of different quality.

But come on we can't really complain, it's free, these guys have put alot of work in it, with some more work on it, it can go from great to fantastic. And how many times is there a hype around a mod anyways.

Also, gonna buy the OST, 11$ is worth it.