Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #2 - Pomperi

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pomperi polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, this is my first post in these forums. Have been wanting to get better at modeling mechanical stuff for a long time now and found this workshop which seemed to be a perfect time to do some hipoly modeling :)

Here's what I have so far:

UZEXobAHK.jpg

AHhdAGazH.jpg

Will be posting progress as I go along, critz would be awesome :)

Replies

• Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome! This is looking really good so far, keep it up!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yep, very nice start :)

Out of interest, how are you going about this... do you just start from a bunch of primitives and cut / bevel / extrude new geometry?
    Is this main engine block all one object, or multiple separate elements?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice, would be nice if you had posted more wip pictures. but thats ok :)
  • Pomperi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

MoP: When I normally do stuff like this I try to get every large piece of geometry down first and iterate, but for this piece I started out with the main body, then made the handle and started tightening it up a bit by adding a few loops and details. The reason for this was to get a better sense of the scale on the parts and to get a good workflow going. I've tried to make the parts as seperate as possible, but most of the main body is one piece with a few exceptions.

bitmap: More? You mean like this? :P:

WVBqrLzej.jpg

DuEYnNKHU.jpg

NygtINjnn.jpg

AzQHixHgU.jpg

ebjiEGvfk.jpg

Started working on the front today and will continue working on the other side tomorrow. Still have lots of places to tighten up. If you have any suggestions how I could improve my mesh, please let me know :)

Cheers!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome, Congrats on your fast timing.
  • Pomperi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Got a small update:

uWOrxKvvu.jpg

zusTdLQOZ.jpg

IgtHIHaDr.jpg

Still a lot of work left on the highpoly. Need to cover up some of the empty areas and make the parts interconnect better. Gonna try to mirror the main body as much as possible in the uvs later on so I'm having some difficulties to solve how I'm supposed to connect the parts on the two sides without having to give them separate uv space.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Hey. looking good there.

I was wondering .. what do you mean by covering up the empty areas? Ah, I think I understand. You are talking about narrowing the gaps between the larger parts right? Like the lower right in your last image, where the bottom end of the handle and the main form connect.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey welcome to the boards dude, some good progress so far, keep it up.