Home Technical Talk

Engine Turntables and Tools?

hi there first post!,

I have a few questions about presenting game res characters and tools. I have been working as a professional character artist in the film industry for about 7 years now. my main tools are mudbox / zbrush and maya. I do most of my rendering in mentalray for turntables etc. I would like to start setting up some characters in a engine. to compare the quality and workflow with maya/mentalray. and get some understanding of a professional workflow for setting up shaders and maps. mess around with the animation and lighting options etc. and do some turntable at some point. so I have a few questions.

is there a standaed tool/engine's i should use? like maya or max is standard for professional film work. I see the Unreal Engine and editor look like an option. Aside from inhouse studio tools what editor/engine's/tools should i look at. NO flame war plz :)

can you render still frame turntables from the engine? I useually do a 200-300 frame turntable and adjust in shake. I see a lot game models rendered in mentalray. so is that standard practice? I will render in mr anyways but it would be nice to spit out renders from the engine.

does the engine/editor have hooks to maya? I would guess the more mainstream options have some connection to maya at this point. for models/animation etc.

hope that was not to long winded. thanks!

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I see a few options:

1.) DX realtime shader in Maya or Max's viewport
    2.) Marmoset Toolbag:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346
    3.) any popular game engine (Crysis, Source, Unreal 3)
    whereas Crysis seems to be very easy for WYSIWYG realtime feedback

turntables are something very classy from the film/ render industry imo. What however also matters are how the model do function, like their rigging, skinning, shaders, texture space efficiency and lots of other specific stuff. So showcasing a character walking or being interactive already in a engine might be a plus.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    if you have unreal tournament 3....peep this eat 3d free tutorial.awesome tut, just screen cap that from unreal and there you go.
  • howmanyarms
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the last word i would use to describe the film industry would be classy :) but yea spitting out still frames at a constant rate say 30fps or 24fps from an engine is prob not considered a feature. so i guess to save animation from the engine you use one of the screen capture video packages? and just record straight to video files?

at this point i'm looking at this as a "fun" personal project to get some understanding of the workflow for games. setting up a "efficient" model and all the technicle details i will prob get into once i get a few models set up. its hard to get that sort of stuff untill you start breaking things.

out of the 3 engines you listed do you think one has a standout set of editing tools for shader setup and character/model display?

Marmoset does look interesting btw.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    they probably all do in a way.
    - Unreal seems to be the most discussed and used (lots of tutorials, training DVD's, biggest knowledge base)
    - Crysis recently proved to be an impressive tool for artists
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/scene-movie-competition/9540-scene-movie-results.html
    the first and last place were done booth in the Crysis sandbox editor
    - marmoset is in favor in this community + it looks usually a lot better as Unreal and is designed from the ground up for artists to get the models in a realtime engine.

but I still think that lots of stuff can be done in maya or Max alone as well using realtime shaders, some great threads about that:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=49920
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62006
    you save yourself a lot of trouble of importing/ exporting stuff and it might even look 1:1 compared to a real time engine.
    so i guess to save animation from the engine you use one of the screen capture video packages? and just record straight to video files?
    yes there are 3rd party grabbers and often build in functionality that dumbs bitmaps in a sequence after you recored a game demo (which it executes in non real time after that and writes the footage). In many cases it should however be possible to render out an animation or a sequence of images especially for any popular engine since all the tournament recordings and fan movies are done that way.
  • howmanyarms
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok great. thanks renderhjs!

your info is very helpful.