Home Technical Talk

Maya smooth mesh problem

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I'm having a problem in maya 2k9 where when using the smooth mesh preview (3) random edges are becoming pinched. They have nothing to do with hard/soft edges or creases, and after many hours of trying to find the cause the only thing that seems to remove them is exporting to obj and re-importing. Obviously exporting/importing every time I want to see a mesh with proper smoothing isn't a very useful solution, so I was wondering if anyone knows or has any ideas what might be causing this?

example images:
pinch1.jpg
pinch2.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Have you done a Bridge on those polys?
    It's a bit buggy if you use Bridge on a single or double quad strip, it doesn't weld the edges sometimes, so you get 2 verts which have TWO EDGES running from them (I have no idea how this is possible, and it's really dumb), usually I use Fill Hole instead to join up enclosed polygon strips.
    My guess is the only way you'll really fix this is by deleting those 2 quads enclosed by the "broken" edges, and re-build them using Fill Hole.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Huh, yea I'd never considered that sense as far as I know it should be completly impossible. But I suppose that could be mayas slogan: "Making the impossible possible, whether you like it or not".

Thanks mop :)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Easiest way to fix it is by just selecting all the verts around the trouble area, choose detach component and then merge with a very low distance threshold.
    If you turn on Border Edges under polygon display you should be able to spot the problem areas.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks like you done a crease verts or crease edges, try deleting all your creases?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    could also be a case of lamina faces. Run cleanup on your mesh to get rid of any nastiness.