Home Technical Talk

Normal maps in Max 2010 Viewport?

Anyone know if in the new Max you can finally view normal and AO in the perspective Viewport ala Maya?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think he's asking for realtime AO smart ass =p. But just pumping in a baked light map so its displayed. You can do it a few ways the easiest I can think of is to put a composite map in your diffuse slot create two layers, put your diffuse in the lower, and the AO in the upper. Set the AO to overlay and away you go.
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    I think you can create a DirectX material that will allow you to view normal and AO maps.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chademond wrote: »
    Anyone know if in the new Max you can finally view normal and AO in the perspective Viewport ala Maya?

You've been able to do this since.... Max 7?
    There are a variety of methods to do so
    You can apply a direct X shader material, load up a shader from the shader directory, or download additional ones etc

Also you can just tick on direct x display of materials in a standard material, but this doesnt tend to work out as hot, i would suggest getting a good 3rd party shader.
  • chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry im not exactly familiar with where to get shaders and such, I haven't messed alot with rendering, I just wanted a way to view my Normal and AO maps from xnormal Realtime in the MAx viewport, rather than having to only see it in a render.

Anyone have a link to a tutorial or guide for this?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    sry to bump this old thread, but there was no real answer that had helped me and i had this same problem.

what solved it for me was installing service pack 1. it enabled the "show hardware map in viewport" button in the mat editor that was for some reason left behind, passed out drunk in someone's front yard, that party animal. woot