Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lvl 40

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
so i'm going to try to work on this bust here whenever i feel the urge so i can try and level up, and figured i'd post my porkrest so i can learn something from you juicy melon heads. so speak up if you see me doing something retarded, k. he's based off a sketch i made years ago.

pictures of ridiculous adaptations of the internet would really help make my model feel welcome. i've put about 4 hours into him so far. nothing too exciting.

lvl40_00.jpg

i built a really quick base mesh and plopped it into mudbox, sculpted his forms in best i could using the sketch as reference and dropped a lower level export into max to add his nonsensical trinkets. i'll post more later.

-killing.braincells

Replies

• Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    interesting project man :) first post is looking good so far !
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    he needs a half smoked cigarette in the corner of his lip like the badass lvl 40 he is

keep them coming,
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    electric cigarette
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Real cigarette, electric ones are for gays.

Love the Rincewind-inspired "lvl 40 wizard" badge he's wearing, good luck with your project.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Agreed. At least real cigs are approved by the FDA.
    I totally dig that sketch and the style you used on the shading and the gesture of the hands. This should turn out slick.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I think you're missing something.

Cool sketch!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    t4paN wrote: »
    Real cigarette, electric ones are for gays.

ptch tell that to sam slade
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wth. is this done yet?

gogogogo
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sweet - sorta reminds me of a Berzerker from the old Rifts RPG (one of those non-electronical type games). Google has failed me for ref photos.... all is lost.

-N!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, i look forward to working more on this dude, i'm not going to grind this one out, i'll be taking it slow and easy.

i've been distracted by some family art requests, the pc stall wall, and drawing pictures for free beer at the bar (a lot of fun) i got 4 beers, 1 shot, and 2 cigarettes last night for free, woot.

i did work on his hair a little the other night before getting distracted by a butterfly. i really don't like the approach i've made on the hair. I think I'd prefer having the geo attached to the head. i'm not sure what the best approach is, any suggestions are welcomed, we'll figure something out.

hrmm...
    lvl40_01.jpg
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    looks interesting so far!

If you're aiming for realism, his ears are rather large. But if its part of his gawky style, it works just fine. :poly122:
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    kp.. you DEFINITELY have to post some new scetches of yours
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yeah, I want to see some drawings that got you free beer :D
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    KP: To attach the hair to the head you could export the lows. Attach them in your 3d app of choice. Import the new combined object as a subtool. Subdivide the new one to the same level as your current high. Hide the hair part of your new head. Show only the current head with the new head selected. Project All. Invert and show only the hair and repeat if there is detail you'd like from your current.

An extra tip here is to store a morph target of your new mesh at the highest level before you project. Then after you project you can use the Morph Brush to paint out any errors.

Project All is rad.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're sculpting the hair, I would keep it separate. You can make it pretty believable either way, but you'll have more control over your divisions and detail if you keep it separate.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson,
    i have Mudbox 1.0 (my computer won't run anything higher) what program is this process you're describing done in? using the term "subtool" makes me think you're talking zbrush-speak, ?

Firebert,
    keeping it separate is a lot easier, i suppose, i'm just thinking, if they were connected, i could give the scalp/hair transition much more attention without fighting with a hard edge caused by intersection geometry, in other words, i think it'd look better in the end. i suppose i could always doctor the normal map afterwards, but that's big cock gay. i'm not sure the division control would be an issue, the help files pimp their "Local Subdivision" feature which subdivides a selection of faces, assuming that works nicely, i haven't used it.

lvl40_02.jpg
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude..This thing is fuckin sick!. The hair really fits I think.
    If you do keep the hair you should make it like a glowing blue color..LIke he has ultimate power cuz he's a level 40 and haxs?

Really cool model and drawing.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm definately not looking forward to sculpting the hair. it may be easier to model it, use bump and displacement maps or some hackish thing...
    lvl40_03.jpg

rollin & carlo_c,
    i give the sketches to the people that buy me a beer, i don't have any copies of them. they're usually just weird ideas they have for tattoos or band logos. i'll scan some sketches in some day and post those up. <3
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff, good stuff! :D
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, cool shit, kp!
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty ill, is this one of your concept art pieces? I think I remember seeing this one somewhere.

-J
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lvl40_04.jpg

do you like the hair shorter like in the concept? *turns head sideways*

i think this approach might work for the hair, although it's pretty messy, i should be able to do something cleaner. i'm still not sure how the roots will play out.

i played with deforming the mesh using a displacement map, but it wasn't doing jack and i couldn't find a tutorial on mesh displacement for mudbox 1.0 ... so, whatever.

i'm interested in knowing how i could fuse the hair geo to the head without losing sculpt work like TWilson was describing... i don't know how to do something like this, i hope to find out.

culturedbum,
    thnx dude, ya, i linked to the concept in the first post.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hear what you're saying about the intersecting geo. i totally forgot about localizing your divisions...i never use this feature either. i'm assuming you're using mud? i have read a thread about combining geo into one solid piece in zbrush, but i have 0 experience in mud, plus, ZB oesn't really weld it all together, it just allows the brush to sculpt over both pieces as if they were one. i really like how you fleshed out the face in the newest sculpt. Hair is really tough for something really sltylized like this, but you are for sure on the right track... gotta get in that groove. are you doing all that by hand?

is there a way to project high detail geo onto retopoed/low poly geo in mud? i almost say i would flesh out the hair a little more, retopo a low poly and project, then finish sculpting and use the original retopo as the cage. just an idea... i dunno... i just woke up and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    KP. You could always export a mid poly level of your hair + head and then retopo that all quads in Max or whatever. UV it, then generate a displacement map, subdivide a bunch and apply that displacement map. Export the Low & hirez . You can import the low poly version into MB as your base, subdivide a bunch, then import the highrez version as a layer and Viola. I think.

Little bit of effort but...should do what you're looking for.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lvl40_05.jpg
    i wrapped up the hair and started the low and got a little sleepy. figured we'd just go ahead and see what that mess will create for a normal map.

i pulled up the borders of the hair mesh to float close to the surface of the scalp and circumcised excess faces. i'm going to attempt to bake two normals, one with hair, one bald, and composite the two together.

Firebert,
    ya, it's all by hand, i just decided to brute force it. there seems to be means for such solutions but i can't seem to get them to work. hoping to get a better computer some day soon and will get to play with mudbox 2009 and it's fansy shaders and tools that actually work right.

i've seen videos of dudes baking displacement maps and applying them to new meshes in 2009, and there are similar menus in 1.0 but, i just couldn't get the mesh displacement to work. whatever, hopefully this will work, otherwise, i'll just have to try something else.

edit: nice ScoobyDoofus, that'l be plan B
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I was speaking Zbrush language. Looking good anyway!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    i like your bass. yes.

nice attention to detail, my curly chode. But alas, i think it'd be arousing if you made his face like in your sketch. All "nnngggrfffh" and "geeeuuh, dont bother me whilst im typing. I'm irritated." kinda look. To me, atm he looks like one of those hot Hollister Co. mannequin deeewds. Is that weird?

less than 3.
    8 equals equals equals D.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake test with rough UVs. still a little more low modeling to do for his head gimcrack, may add his torso/sholders and wire sack in concept. made some notes so you knew some of my intentions.

lvl40_06.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great :D
    Whats the polycount ?!?
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin good dude.

I've been looking for a screen from HL2 that shows the desk magnifying glass early on in the game, thought it would be pretty badass to get that effect on the glasses.

Magnifying-Glass-Desk-Lamp.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hack2.jpg

hack3.jpg

loving zbrush

he has a sub-skin necklace, each bump is a light under his skin, it should look better in the final once we get the glow map in there
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good man! Love those ears :)
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Very very nice, makes me think more matrix for some reason...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice man. Work faster.