Home Technical Talk

Max 2010 Modeling tools - any early impressions?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    early adopter affect?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect wrote: »
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I didn't see anyone else mention this again in the thread (if I missed it my bad).

That little pause gets really annoying.
    Is it turning your mesh into a box while moving, rotating or playing animation? If so that is adaptive degradation kicking on. It is trying to maintain a constant target fps by dropping the amount of info on the screen. If you have an object selected it will try its best to preserve that object.

There are ways to adjust both the target fps setting, and the adaptive degradation settings but really the problem is that you've reached the limit of what max and your system can do together.

You can also accidentally toggle this on so its always turning on no matter what even if you aren't hitting the wall. Pressing O toggles it being forced on/off.

Per, Renderhjs, we switch over at work sometime in August... Kind of nervous about it after all the trash people have talked. Hopefully there has been a service pack and improved some of the stability issues.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    vargatom: Use Cached D3DXMeshes was already on by default for me. Unchecking it made everything extremely laggy.

Vig: it's not adaptive degradation, that's off for me and I've ran into that annoying shortcut before as I'm sure everyone has.

Whats happening is as soon as you start to pan rotate or zoom it hangs for a second and then everything moves smoothly. I don't even see my FPS dropping in the viewport stats.

Like Parnell said it only happens when you're not in a sub-object mode (vertex/edge/face). When in a sub-object mode there is no hang everything is super smooth.

Its really weird.

I guess it's not really a common problem though if you guys haven't experienced it.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    Per, Renderhjs, we switch over at work sometime in August... Kind of nervous about it after all the trash people have talked. Hopefully there has been a service pack and improved some of the stability issues.

may I ask why you switch? I mean in production, wouldnt it be safe to wait until the SP has arrived (and there always has at least 1 been needed for max in any version). Who decides this and what do they base their decision on. Most studios are on subscription anyway I guess, so they have the licenses around, doesnt mean they are forced to install it for everyone.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For us the official decision comes from the our Art Director & Creative Director. It's not a done deal yet, they're still going over everything. We've had 2010 installed for a while (on sub) but we're holding off until this project wraps up in August. Its like a 60% chance we will upgrade.

The biggest deal breaker so far is we are waiting on a plug-in from an outside company to be updated.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Vig: show him this thread:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=63739
    maybe he will reconsider,- if you already have Poly boost its not really worth the xtra money and time to get used to it.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    i toyed around with max2010 at work, means worked with it for about a week or so (did basic modeling stuff and rendering with mentalray). Its not all that bad, I already like some of the polyboost/graphite stuff (havent used it before) - and yeah UI/Ribbon could be a little smoother, but its not too bad to be honest.

I guess we'll use it for the next project already.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    MattW wrote: »
    I used to just grab the tools i used in polyboost and throw them on they're own toolbar since I don't like using too many fancy tools, and I liked that I had the option to do that. I never have to retopo, just build high poly's, so I don't need a lot of stuff.

Has anyone tried adding the graphite tools to custom toolbars? I hate that goddamn ribbon Autodesk ribbon. I ABSOLUTELY hate having to use that childish bullshit when in AutoCAD.

Concerning CAD drafting, what draftsman worth his salt doesn't learn the shortcut keys and create their own custom toolbar for other frequently used commands? I can't say if this is the same for modeling in Max, but I know I have my own shortcuts for SketchUp. The less UI, the better.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    This may have been said already, but you can hotkey all the new graphite tools as well as make custom quads and stuff with them. They're under group: Main UI, Category: PolyTools in the customize user interface options.