Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Nizza

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
starting to do some proper sculpting studies and need a place to dump stuff so here it is.

Used the same sphere base mesh on both heads. the dude was done yesterday and took about an hour, just did the female head then and took about 40min i guess (yay improvment). And a quick 15min concrete study from a while back (got the base square of sampson, clay toobs for the win). Wouldn't look into it too much, didn't really plan out the damage :S

Gonna try some anatomy next.

head02-pic02a.jpg

head03-pic02a.jpg

011.jpg

Replies

• Emperors Teeth
    These look great. I'm very impressed with the time taken to make them, takes me bleedin ages at the moment!

One thing that stands out, the only thing in fact, is that the jawline and neck give it away in big neon lights that the same base mesh was used. They're very efeminate, which stands out on the male model.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff Nizza, the male is my favourite. Nice controlled sculpting skills.
    Look forward to more
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, thanks man. Hope i can improve some by doing these things ^_^

detailed the female head a bit but hating it looking at it after a break. Going to do heaps more till they're better.
    And been working on this for today's head. still pretty early but it's taken over an hour so far >_<

anyways, imma try and get another head in today, and maybe some anatomy stuff too

head04-pic01a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super quick ugly texture rough in this morning on that last male head (yes it still needs some better alligning :P)

and still tryin to sculpt some decent female heads (they be hard >:{)

head04-pic02a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emperors teeth (just saw your post :P): great point on the jaw, somthing i've definitley gotta work on. Trying to get a bit more character and uniquness to each sculpt so they don't all look the same

Missed a head 2 days ago and only did one yesterday so gotta do 2 today.
    This head took fuggin ages (from yesterday), redid it 3 times, still not happy with it. And a super quick skull from this morning.

head05-pic02a.jpg

head06-pic01a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'nother head. Little on the toony side (gotta add an eyepatch and m.bison hat in :P). He's looking a little too similar to the black guy now that i think about it :\

head07-pic02a.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice sculpting yeah this latest dude does look quite similar to the other guy
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers ged, hopefully i made him look a little more unique structurally, having fun detailing him rather than just smoothing over everything and throwing pore alpha's all over him :P

Little more detail and a new female head. hair is still super early and blobby so watch out for that (was going for the younger chick from 28 weeks later but my sculpting-fu might be too weak to get good likeness at this point - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782299/)

head07-pic03a.jpg

head08-pic02a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update. worked out the hair a little better still lots of detailing to go -_-) and some new base bodies so i can start doing daily figures much liek the heads... except not daily i'm guessing :P

head08-pic02b.jpg

body01_pic01a.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice sculpting man :D.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, cheers muzz ^_^

anyways, tried sculpting another female head from my usual sphere base mesh thismorning but i couldn't get the proportions and everything looking good. Ended up just scaling and sculpting over my last head from the lowest level which i feel shitty about (went really quick but i'm guessing i learnt less >:{).

hoping things pick up for my anatomy studies later today :\

head09-pic01a.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alot of this really looks the same to me,

if you are doing alot of quick sculpts, try and explore shapes and avoid getting back into the same paterns.

the skull really looks weird in alot of sculpts, it is tall, and pushed back pretty far.
    also have a look on the sides of the heads, it should grow to its wides just past the midde/ the ear, while most of your sculpts are quite flat on the sides.

ears play a very big role in character when working with portraits,
    so try and get more out of those, it does not need to take long, but make sure its not a flat shape.

a nice test, lay your hand on the back of your neck and go upwards to the top of your head, feel the shapes, feel the transitions,
    now go back to how you sculpted the neck and how it flows over into the skull.

keep it going!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the crits rens (good points)

bummer to hear they're looking samey. Basically trying to get some consistent 'realistic' heads out of spheres but making sure they aren't just clones and copying the same thing.

Good points on the larger shapes and the skull/anatomy, gonna have to go back to the anatomy books... and i've been super lazy with the ears so far, definitley somthing to add ^^
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, been having some pretty shitty luck with sculpting the last few days, everythings turning out looking like shite :poly127:

anyways, no idea what's specifically wrong but the proportions seem off with this chick... planning to do a seperate head and divide this once more for a little refining before doing some cloth studies... and taking this time to finish off some other stuff.

body02-pic01a.jpg

28a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, really hope the page rolls over soon >_<

anyways, took fukkin ages gettin these proportions where they are, and i'm still not 100% into them but whatev :poly127:
    Had an idea for a cool female character but the sketch looked fairly shite so back to the drawing board for now

01b.jpg
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Dude u have some great sculpting skills and its good to see that youre pushing yourself. Im curious as to how you made the clothing and armor for the male character. Did you make a base and then model the clothing and boot or just sculpt everything from simple shapes? I love the scarred up heads you made as well.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main problem with the female proportions are that the thighs and the calves are a tad too thick, and the ribcage is a tad too short and angles up too sharply at the front. The verticle height is pretty much there, sitting at the standard 11 craniums high. (craniums are a much more accurate measure than heads as it works off the skeleton as opposed to fleshy landmarks, and archeologists use it) http://conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=598589&stc=1&d=1235160824
    Looking really good otherwise though man :).
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    hey great little sketchbook, some solid sculpting skills you have just need to play with the proportions and maybe try experimenting with different faces. hope you dont mind but i did a proportion change for you to look at that might be helpful http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/3172/nizzawanatchange.jpg
    keep up the sculpting, its good
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps: cheers man ^^ for that tactical dude, vest and shoes were largly done in maya, just detail in zbrush (things always end up blobby for me otherwise :\), rest is from cubes or whatever's quickest :P

Muzz: awsome points dude, ty. Thinned the legs and calves a decent bit, i definitley see what you mean about the ribcage, tried adjusting but i'll have to try a couple more times i think...

mat: right on about new shapes, somthing i'm not really pushing far enough atm... and ty for the paintover ^^ (tho i think i pushed things in a bit rather than out, i hafta try a few different proportions)

thanks for the crits guys, massive help in gettin this stuff learnt ^^
    just started on the hair and threw some panties in there (coz i <3 prom :)). Was thinking of throwing in some regular pants and a tank top but can't decide between that or somthing sci-fi and techy (robo-pants!)

02a.jpg

02b.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of work on the tank top. Still haven't touched the back side yet and it's looking a little messy maybe? I'm kinda justifying it in my mind that she's climbing in and out of giant robots all day so it'd potentially bunch up at least a little... coz she pilots mechs... and superlow white cotton panties has an inherent +10 to mech piloting skill (i <3 prom).

Anyways, i'm thinking she's getting fitted for a custom mech or she's getting out of one or whatever. Really having trouble designing it but ill keep scribbling around. Gotta make the panty folds thicker to match the thickness of the top too -_-

03a.jpg
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza, have you watched or read any tutorials that have have been specially beneficial to the development of your sculpting skills? I know it just takes practice but a point in the right direction would be helpful :D

EDIT: Or perhaps good anatomy studies?
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good! Most of the models are really anatomically correct but I'd like to see some craziness!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't wanna seem like a dick ignoring ppls... and i thought i'd share this crappy alpha i made for this chick i'm working on here.

beartraps: step 1: anatomy, step 2: ???, step 3: profit :P

basically i used to draw heaps of bridgman, hogarth, loomis, etc and do heaps of life drawing coz i wanted to do concept art. I think those skills always get better and work across both 2d and 3d really well so definitley good to study. And all of zack petroc's vids are dope, but i think it's mostly observation and studying what it is you're observing too (so life drawing and antomy for eg)

Alec3d: cheers dude. lol at craziness, i agree completley. Just gotta get a little more sure of doing realistic stuff before i start warping it :)

And i made this in ps. If you've got the dam_standard brush it helps out heaps using it with alpha 01 to refine stuff (fuggin time consuming tho :poly118:).

pants_mainseam01-v2.jpg

06e.jpg
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin great dude, that alpha is doing the job on those seams.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps: cheers dude (just wish it'd take less manual refining with the standard brush >_<)

anyways, just a quick head i did now (still doin these, kinda :P). Workin on some male anatomy too.
    kinda bailing on my ramos wolverine for the comicon due to sucking too much still (gotta learn regular proportions/anatomy before warping)

head12-pic01b1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice sculpts dude
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, cheers shep ^_^

man i really gotta remember to finish things >_<
    anyways, new male anatomy sculpt (with which to make male characters this time :P)... back on the textures for my fem char too, i <3 marmo :)

crits are always welcome (tho i'm pretty sure the hands and feet have still got a ways to go)

body03-pic02a.jpg

09a.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking hawt man!

Really good male sculpt.

With the textures for the girl, remember that there is a saturation an hue shift from tan lines and from where light usually hits. Top of forarms tend to be darker than the bottom side for example. Really helps the realism!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great clothes on the girl
    me likes
  • mastajappa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mastajappa polycounter lvl 9
    Great sculpting!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaz-bump

figured some feedback on these mini things would be cool and i haven't really got a thread going yet (still working out the begginings of the security guard dude).

Trying to get better at realistic sculpting and observational stuff. Getting quicker is always good to i s'pose (really gotta get onto shader and render stuff for this realistic deal i guess :\).

head17-pic01a.jpg

Also seems like i'll have a move over to new zeeland coming up for a certain thing... hoping i can post in general discussion once everything's a little more finalized (shit's exciting :))
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooo new zealand ey?

I can only think of 2 places that would use your skills over there. And either one if you land it huge congrats!

Head sculpt looks really good :).

Be careful though all your head sculpts use the same facial features, nose especially.

Try out alot of different nose shapes. Hell try sculpting 10 or so different noses just on a plane :).
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ cheers man. Don't wanna jynx it so i'm hanging out till the contract is finalised... needless to say i'm fuggin excited :)

Really cool idea on the nose (i should prolly do a bunch of eyes and mouths too). Gotta try doing a bunch from planes every day now... tho this is prolly the worst nose you'll ever see :\

nose01-pic01a.jpg
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Nice sculpts Nizza.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats the idea!

Though that nose is still pretty similar to your standard ones though, do some upturned ones, some bulbous small ones, wide african ones. (yeah different ethnicities are also awesome).
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cje: thanks man :)
    muzz: haha, i knew that was gonna happen :P Still trying to do a bunch as often as i can, good practice is good ^^

aight, hope everyone's having some good holidays and all that. Need a break from the chun li thing as everything just seems wrong with it atm and i gotta take a step back or somthing... and maybe go do some family holiday stuff at some point too >_>

just a super quick head i did. Worked it out from my super blobby base mesh once again and tried getting some newer and different shapes going on. Dunno how succesful i was but it was fun at least :P

head18-pic02a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garr, still trying to get my heads lookin different. Gonna have another go at chunners face right after some food.

Bought some super sculpey today too :)

head20-pic01a.jpg

Super_0020_sculpey_0020_1lb.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garble jarblefarble... hope you're all having a good new yearz.

anyway, no rest for the me :poly142:
    Thinking of bailing on my chun li char, kinda running out of steam. I do have a new female char i'm starting out tho and a bunch of other dudes.

Anyways, super quick head i did just now. Reeeally trying to break my bad habits and produce some unique or at least different looking heads (and yeah i know... i'll start using ref one of these days :\)

head22-pic01b.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 moar and i gotta get back to my full chars :P
    Bunch more i wanna do, females heads being a must do still

head23-pic01a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 more to stick on my big wall o heads :P (in pnp atm) 7 more to go.
    Need a more eloquent solution for the hair, didn't wanna waste time making a detailed mesh in maya tho (just brought in a cube primitive and move brush'd it around).

head24-pic01a.jpg
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work Nizza. Gonna have some fun with Sculpey ey? Cool. These heads are all looking pretty sweet too mate. If you're not feeling it with the Chun Li model I guess you can always come back to it. Maybe take a break and come back to it in a week or two, see if you can put a twist on it to get you pumped again. Anyway, nice work...and you're right, you should use reference every now and then! It can't hurt!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P cheers man. ugh, my first sculpey attempt might've been about 20 times to small, got up to the second level of form refining (did a head) and then gave up... bought some of those stock tools from teh shop as well... they're about 20 sizes to big methinks :\

Hoping i feel a bit better about chunners later on, maybe going more stylized will get me into it more.

Anyways, one more head for today... i really wanna do one more if i can, having heaps of fun with these but i gotta make time for my other chars too :P

head25-pic01a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmfg... can't stop doing these... all those wasted years trying to do realistic observational stuff :poly122: (jk, but these are really fun :P)

super special fun time sketchbook exclusive wip shot... kinda :P
    Forgot the final step: walk away and make some tea/put blade runner in the dvd player, then come back and realize it looks uugly :\ (then fix up propotions or whatever).

Been using my same base mesh head for all of them so far. Just dicking around with the move brush until the proportions look about right then detailing does the rest.

head26-pic01a.jpg

head26-pic02a_prog.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first sculpt of the day :P Took ages to get the proportions looking 'decent', still not sure about them. And still messing with how to deal with hair.

head27-pic01a.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I knew the name was familiar and fuck i love your models! <3
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, cheers man :) (and i want your painting skillz naow!!! Didn't realize you were that jackwhat :P)

figured i'd throw this in here too. It's one of those "i started scribbling stuff with no idea where i was going with it" things. Basically i had 'lightbulb', pinky and the brain, and iain mckellen running through my head throughout this sculpt... i really gotta go back to planning things out and using concepts :\ (back to my hethe heads)

hmm, now i wanna give this guy goggles and an evil scientis outfit.

head28-pic01a.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Wow! You re on fire Nizza!!

I love the style youve got going on here, kinda reminds me of Brink, go go go more! :) .
    Superb attention to shape and anatomy.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks man :) (if i hear brink one more time... :P)

figured i'd throw this up in here too. going a little crazeh with the proportion pushing methinks :poly136:
    and yeah i got lazy on the ears when i really shouldn't have. Took so friggin long to get the shapes and forms 'ok' on this one >_<

head30-pic01a.jpg
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest head sculpts are great Nizza.
    Sweet style n'all!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Very inspiring work Nizza!