Home General Discussion

red faction guirilla for the win.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I really like this game, check it out most impressive destruction I have seen. Fun sandbox with medium quality visuals. Just finished was a blast to play enjoyed every minute of it.

Replies

• TelekineticFrog
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    It is a great game! I think it's probably one of the more enjoyable sandbox games in a while. I never felt like I was aimlessly wandering even when I tried to. Always seemed like you had goals even without trying to have them. I like the constant push and pull dynamic as well of the EDF vs. Red Faction. Sometimes you'd be way up in moral and have the people behind you and BAM! something unpredictable or dumb would happen that'd result in the balance of power shifting one way or the other. Plus running around and being able to smash anything in sight with a sledge hammer is fun, especially buildings. I have been ganked a couple times by my own carelessness in the heat of destroying large structures to only have them topple down on my head. Great game though. I was even skeptical to pick it up as the demo didn't seem to fare so well, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. I know some guys in here did some work with it. Congrats to them. Definitely worth playing.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    One of the few times I have felt compelled to play through a demo more than once - destroying shit is a blast! I'll probably pick it up eventually.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I've been lazy in getting my work from it posted on my portfolio but it was a total blast to make. We make some sacrifices art-wise to allow for total destruction but I think it pays off. I agree that the demo doesn't show off the game as well as it could - it shows the destruction off nicely but it doesn't really give a feel for the open-world aspect of the game.

A lot of other PCers worked on it too, perhaps they'll come out of the woodworks :)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fuck ya! This game is a TON of fun. I switched from Medium difficulty to "Casual" so I could enjoy the best part about the game (destroying shit) while ignoring the mot difficult (the AI is brutal at times). And, unlocking things at a faster pace is making me enjoy this even more.

My favourite things so far:

Weapon: The laser rifle that disintegrates structures, trucks and people at full level. Remote mines are a close second. I wish I could upgrade the assault rifle to hold more ammo.

Vehicle: The EDF truck with 6 wheels and no windows. That fucker just mows through things at top speed. The Light Walker is a lot of fun, but I've only found it once.

EDF structure I had to take out: One of the HUGE bridges. I sat and planned it with the Laser Rifle (mentioned above) to see if I could do it with the least amount of shots possible. Ended up coming down nice and quietly ;)
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i was wondering why there was no thread for this yet.
    I love this game, the wreaking crew mode has replaced nazi zombies for drinking nights with the buddies.

I gotta play more into the singleplayer, its just way more fun to fuck shit up ahaha
  • 00Zero
    im downloading demo right now. if its as fun as you guys say it is, ill buy it

PROTIP: dont hit the propane tanks! lollll

HOLY SHIT! i just drove a vehicle through a building. omg

this is the most self gratifying experience i've ever had in gaming. i will buy this
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Argh the PC version isnt out till August. I always liked the destructibility of the red faction genre. Though the second one was annoying as heck with its cut scenes you couldn't skip.
  • 00Zero
    i wish the god damn EDF would stop shooting at me so i could have fun taking down buildings at my own leisure....

also, they need to use this technology to make another game just about destruction. like, you and your friends can join a game online and you have to take down a giant building with only a sledgehammer. you have to study the building and take it down carefully or it will come down and kill you. kinda like a giant game of jenga. but with big buildings.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How's the Wrecking Crew work?
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    How's the Wrecking Crew work?

Wrecking crew is a competitive party game. Basically up to 4 players take turns competing to earn the most points. There are three different modes and a bunch of variables for each. It is a total fucking blast.

Its a pass the controller kind of thing, so you don't need a bunch of controllers or anything.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    holding out for the PC version
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    00Zero wrote: »
    also, they need to use this technology to make another game just about destruction. like, you and your friends can join a game online and you have to take down a giant building with only a sledgehammer. you have to study the building and take it down carefully or it will come down and kill you. kinda like a giant game of jenga. but with big buildings.

Or a monster on a rampage game!!! Let's face it, destroying shit is just plain fun :)
  • 00Zero
    omg guys. i threw myself under a giant truck and it dragged me under it for like 300 feet
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    00Zero, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    its awesome! reminds of blast corps with guns :)
  • 00Zero
    00Zero, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

it was a fkin hilarious thing.

i just bought the game today, going to sniff the fresh box now
  • HarlequiN
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    /me crawls out of the woodwork and waves.

Glad you liked it. :)
  • thatnumpty
    Got it from GameFly today and spent all afternoon playing, its really fun. Just got to Badlands and played a bit with the disaggregation riffle. wsm. I really like most of the vehicle designs too.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Played the demo today. Awesomesauce.
    That and Fight Night Round 4 are now must buys for me.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN wrote: »

get back to work slacker!
  • thatnumpty
    post your work, bums.
  • 00Zero
    yea im really digging the vehicle designs too.
  • CastratedWeasel
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    HarlequiN wrote: »

haha, sweet. Nice to know some old school Polycounters worked on it.

Loved it. beat it yesterday. Design was top notch, but I had to play it on easy.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks sweet but I'm waiting for the PC version!
  • HarlequiN
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    /Pops back out of the woodwork now he's not crunching.

Glad you liked the vehicles (I'm the vehicle artist, though I didn't concept them). Not a lot of point posting the work, since it's all in the game - or advertising, just go look at that :) Unlike Ghostscape none of my work was high poly or textured at a higher res, so it's all in the game ;) What you see is what I did.

I guess I could ask permission to show some beauty renders though.
  • 00Zero
    have you guys tried bringing down the giant bridge with only your hammer? its funny to weaken it and then watch big trucks try to drive across it only to be swallowed up and killed.