Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- The Time Machine

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
Here's the Time Machine I've been working on for about 2 days now. I built it from a reference, which I believe is from the original The Time Machine movie. I began a texture, but after deciding to add more detail to the model, I have opted to redo it. Diffuse, Spec, and High-low bake are on the way!

timemachinesmall1.jpg

timemachinesmall2.jpg

Replies

• natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the reference....
    timemachine4web.jpg
  • Lob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lob polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice work, man... =)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome! No complaints here. The real icing will be the textures.
    Time Machine was one of my fav childhood movies. Don't screw it up, damnit! :) I'll have to get all morlock on your ass.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I'm seeing a lot of Victorian era steampunkish stuff these days. Nice work, you seem to have captured all of the major details of the concept well. Are you planning to do the sculpting on the chair base as a photoshop texture normal?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That was a pretty great old flick, and I always loved the design of the Time Machine itself. Good work on the model so far, can't wait to see some progress!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZackF wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of Victorian era steampunkish stuff these days. Nice work, you seem to have captured all of the major details of the concept well. Are you planning to do the sculpting on the chair base as a photoshop texture normal?

considering that as a failsafe, but as soon as i get a minute to start working on this again, i'm planning on taking the chair into zbrush.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Let's see some close-up wire shots from around the model ;) She looks great!
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work man....looking forward to seeing those intricate details. Keep it up :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester wrote: »
    Seems like you didnt come through on our bet

You were supposed to have it done in a week. You probably shouln't be talking up such a big game if you can't produce the product on time ;)

Nice highpoly though. It could have been a great piece.

No, It was done. I turned in a textured version to Emer. You should have stuck around.

Like I said in the original comments, I opted to add more fine detail to the model and redo the unwrap and textures.

I figure if I spend more than 12 hours on everything they might turn out even better.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    What grade did you end up getting in the class. BTW on page two is my finished Vehicle.

Hey post the textured version, let's see what you got
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lololol rivalry

TIME FOR A DANCE OFF
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    If your art director sets the art lock for 5pm on Friday and you turn your stuff in at like 10 that night you wont be looking at a passing grade, you will be looking at the wanted ads.

Not to dampen the scared straight pep talk, but that really depends on a lot of things, such as the kind of company you're working for, whether you have a history of missing deadlines, the quality of your work, and whether you let them know a little in advance that you need extra time. I have never seen anyone fired for turning in work five hours late, and I've seen quite a few people fired over the last few years.

It's generally good that classes teach people to be disciplined, but in my experience actual game development is much more flexible and deadlines are generally considered to be estimates. This isn't to say that you can slack off since they know how productive you are, but sometimes stuff takes longer than is expected. There are hard deadlines like publisher presentations etc. but the vast majority of deadlines will be soft ones set to establish an overall production schedule. Often that last 5 hours is when it really comes together. Good managers/directors know this and won't be anal about stuff so long as you're making good art.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    ...This might be cool in a class environment since teachers always give students some leeway with there work. If it was being judged by industry execs it would just go on a list of reasons they would want to fire you. Not making deadlines by the time required is never a good thing...

Okay, lets stop with the jealousy flame-war. this is a WIP thread for art, not 4th grade.

Though, like I said in my very wordy comment prior to this, this was for a class and for a bet. Not for the industry. Only an idiot would apply such time management skills to something that actually mattered.
    And as I *also* mentioned before. It was a responsible choice I made to place other classwork and time use before a petty bet between friends.

Try to keep the slap battles on hold.

I'll be starting my new maps shortly. Hope you guys like them once they're up.
    :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    this is amusing.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    lol guys leave him alone, he's makin dope work and is posting here for crits. If you've got squabbles take it to the PM's. The rest of PC dosnt need to know about your dumb bets and due dates. As he learns this stuff he'll get faster at making it and eventually it wont take him as long to make it.

As for the piece man, great work so far, this tons better than any the work I saw come out of the AISD when I went there....
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Skeptical Nate is just defending him because they have the same name! HE'S BIASED!!!!!

Really cool model btw. Keep it up!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a WIP of the base diffuse. Also played with some normal maps on the chair. hopefully i can finish the diffuse and get the spec done sometime before tomorrow. Its lunchtime!

wipe.jpg
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Cant say I'm impressed with you 2 arguing like that. Employeers, art leads, hiring managers...you name it, read this stuff so I hope yall take that into account.

In regards to the model, the details came out pretty nice....keep it up ;)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok enough. Seriously. End this now. Consider this a warning to everyone in this thread. If you have issues take it up outside of polycount.

I can tell you right now that if any of your resumes came across our email at work and you were associated with any crap like this it would weigh heavily on peoples decisions. So think about that. You guys are still in school. Don't get a damn ego already.

There. Now. Let us move on with the arts.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I am digging this time machine. Can't wait to see final result. Would be cool to see it in UE3 or Marmoset. Get her done and show her off.

Also would like to see some wires on the high poly and the low poly.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Way rad, sir. Suuuuper interested in seeing the final.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick shots of the high and low.

timemachinehighlow.jpg
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those wires came out too thick, which makes it harder to see what's going on in many areas. Not sure if you can scale them in your software package, but if not just render the image 3x larger and scale down in PS. Low is looking good though, and the detailing on the chair base turned out really well.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    good work man, keep it up
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (MASSIVE IMAGE BELOW)

Damn roommates keep dragging me out of the house to "enjoy summer break". I just want to work!!! lol.

Anyway, quick WIP breakdown.

I think I'm about done with the diffuse, but i want to add something to the back of the big disk, right now, its very plain. Maybe add a few more of my own little details here and there. I gotta get going on the spec map. I'm really hoping it will really make the piece.

worklayout.jpg
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added a spec. Here are some shots straight from Unreal.

engineshot.jpg

I'm not sure if unreal can handle semi-transparency via an opacity map. I'm having some trouble with that. Every time i set the alpha of the diffuse (which is built as a greyscale opacity map) areas that are semi-transparent either are completely transparent, or not at all. Any help would be nice.

Also, i had a hard time getting the gold areas to look metalic, but I seem to have fixed that (to a point) with the use of a small specular power map. I am unfamiliar with specular power in general, so if anyone could offer suggestions on that I would be appreciative.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is correct, UE3 does not support lit translucency. You can only have lit objects use 1-bit alpha masking. For semi-transparency you will need to use a second material that is unlit.

Looking good man. A reflection map might help pop those gold surfaces.
  • dactilardesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dactilardesign polycounter lvl 10
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    not bad, man. Now put some lazer turrets on that thing
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is correct, UE3 does not support lit translucency. You can only have lit objects use 1-bit alpha masking. For semi-transparency you will need to use a second material that is unlit.

Looking good man. A reflection map might help pop those gold surfaces.

Sorry, I got a little confused by that. You mean i need a separate texture sample for my alpha and use it as the opacity, rather than opacity map node in the UE3 material editor?
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I mean you need to use multiple materials on the same mesh. This is known as multi-material or sub-material. UE3 cannot do anything other than on/off transparency on materials that are affected by lighting. It can only do soft transparency on materials that are unaffected by lighting. (this is one of the reasons hair looks kinda ass in UE3 games) But you can't have one material be both lit and unlit, which means that you need to use two materials on this one object if you want to have semi-transparency.

However, you can have two materials use the same exact textures, so you don't need to make new UVs or texture sheets or anything. You just need to set up the mesh before export to use submaterials and specify what geometry will use the unlit material. If you're using Max, this can be done by creating a Multi/SubObject material and applying it to the mesh before export.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, right now I've been using 2048 maps in UT for the diffuse and normal, and a 1024 spec, and a little 512 map for specular power. What do you guys think about these sizings, I almost want to bring the diffuse up to 4096 (which is what my working psd is sitting at)... what are your suggestions?
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use submaterials and specify what geometry will use the unlit material. If you're using Max, this can be done by creating a Multi/SubObject material and applying it to the mesh before export.

(sorry for slew of afterthought posts)

Doesn't this mean I loose my shineyness in those areas. Ie: the crystal at the top of the pull-lever, the coils? :( what would PC suggest here?
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    a suggestion for the texture if i may:
    The chair wood frame looks less like wood and more like pressed copper or something. I would work on the that by adding wood stain/dirt build up in the cracks.

Looks great though!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck wrote: »
    a suggestion for the texture if i may:
    The chair wood frame looks less like wood and more like pressed copper or something. I would work on the that by adding wood stain/dirt build up in the cracks.

Looks great though!

Are you referring to the unreal version I posted? (the prior sheet had no spec map.

The wood is intended to be polished, but i suppose i could add grunge all around the model.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out a way to get the crystal to look shiny AND partially transparent in UE3
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got bored. Decided to toss an emissive map on for fun.

New shots out of Unreal

engineshot2sheet.jpg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice in game shots dude, I'm diggin the texture on that chair too. Whatever method you chose to make it, it worked out pretty well. Only suggestions I'd have would be to maybe outline some of those sculptings in the wood with some spec to make them stand out a bit more and really bring them forward. Prolly do the same thing for those carvings on the metal designs in the front and back. Nice work on the model and diffuse, good stuff man
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is possible to fake a highlight and/or reflection on an unlit material, but it's a bit complicated. Sticking with emissive to present this is probably the way to go. Looking good, man! Generating AO in Crazybump from the normalmap on the chair and then setting it as a Color Burn layer on your diffuse (with very low opacity) will probably help pop the chair details and make it seem a bit more like wood.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generating AO in Crazybump from the normalmap on the chair and then setting it as a Color Burn layer on your diffuse (with very low opacity) will probably help pop the chair details and make it seem a bit more like wood.

Thanks. A great suggestion, accepted an applied.

Here are the latest from marmoset and UE3.
    I'm not very good with marmoset, i cant figure out how to mess with the spec just right, but it looks pretty good in UE3.
    I got the Opacity to play nice, so the cords are working properly now.

I think I'm done poking at this. I think I'll move on.

marmosetshot.jpg

engineshot4.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    oooooo. very nice. textures r way better than b4.