Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Indy Game Pimping - Shades of Violet

sovbanner.jpg

Hello! We're Imagineer Games, and we're creating an Adventure game of quite a different flair than the usual. We'd like to know what do you think! The graphics are simple, but the game runs in VERY old pcs!

The game itself? Shades of Violet! Song of the Clockwork Princess.

Short Game Teaser (really short!)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFc3Bi1kW18[/ame]

Game opening (Excuse the lack of music)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnKW1_iIuX0[/ame]

intro0203.jpg
screeniebig.jpg

Replies

• numo16
    Offline / Send Message
    numo16 polycounter lvl 9
    oh wow...I love the art style of this. Very different from everything else I've been seeing lately.
  • Cyph3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    for some reason I got reminded of 'Day of the Tentacle'
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice seeing these characters in game, I remember when you guys posted some of your characters in progress. Great art style :)
  • heribertovalle
    Oh so you saw them before! Great! Glad you like .
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Great work guys, the style is being pulled off very well. I really enjoy how the environment is looking also (the crooked angles and exaggerated pieces).
    My only gripe is minor and probably stupid, but when the gears come in on your trailer, I wish they were already spinning---

Nice work, post more as soon as you can-Looking foward to it.

dave
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely work, mate.

How far are you along with development? I'll be interested to take this for a spin when you eventually release it.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    looks realy cool.. hope this is a child frendly game :)
  • heribertovalle
    looks realy cool.. hope this is a child frendly game

It is family friendly. Clean fun. We designed specially to appeal to girls too (as in having strong female characters, not as in being girly, which this game is definitely not)
    How far are you along with development? I'll be interested to take this for a spin when you eventually release it.

We're doing good! We almost have a demo ready, and We should be releasing the first episode before year's end. We're still missing art assets (It's HECTIC and as always, we're understaffed) but we're coming along nicely.

Meet our main characters too! We emphasize the growth of the characters from simple girls to seasoned adventurers, and then onwards!

growthvv.jpg

growthww.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    like how this looks, is it all diffuse only?
    i'll be sure to show this to my GF when it's out, i'm bent on getting her to play games more then just WoW - which is all she's ever done.

how does the character growth thing work? will you guys have several intermediate stages?
    and how will the episodical thing work out? wouldnt that be prone to crippling the story because the player only sees a part (in one game) ?
  • heribertovalle
    like how this looks, is it all diffuse only?
    i'll be sure to show this to my GF when it's out, i'm bent on getting her to play games more then just WoW - which is all she's ever done.

how does the character growth thing work? will you guys have several intermediate stages?
    and how will the episodical thing work out? wouldnt that be prone to crippling the story because the player only sees a part (in one game) ?

Your girlfriend uh? Nice! I hope she likes it when it comes out eventually.

It is indeed, Diffuse only. We chose to let shadows out to keep the cartoony side of things without needing shaders. This game is designed to run well on very old pcs and laptops.

The Character growth works with the story. The girls start out in a small town, and quickly (during the course of the first episode) get set for their first adventure. Followed by a small Time jump, in which they matured a bit. And we go on from there with the same formula.

Well. Truth is episodic is a design choice we had to make for this kind of story and design approach. We're indy, non funded (self funded actually) so we can't afford to make a large game.

Not a problem though, each episode has its own Story arc that adds up to the main storyline. The game is designed using the conventions of Young Adult Novel books, and the story should continue just it happens in that kind of literature.

Now meet some other of the Diverse Denizens of the town of Cog South!
    margotk.jpg

Margot is the quiet, knowledgeable and light hearted eldest orphan. She’s so responsible and loving that Miss Dickens already took her specially under her wing to inherit the orphanage, and gives her private classes in many lady-like topics.

mirandamaocard1.jpg

Miranda is the silent and oddball orphan of the bunch. Being a bit shy and unfitting at times, she prefers to speak through her puppet avatars: Akai and Kuroi. Even if she comes off as a strange one, she means no harm.