Home Technical Talk

retrieving 2nd uvw channel in max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

using max 2009, I have a model with a 2nd channel in the uvs, but i collapsed the uvw unwrap modifier, now everytime i make a new modifier it will override channel 2 by channel one as i use the slider.

Anyway to prevent this, or get back my 2nd channel to copy to channel 1?

help urgente!

Replies

• Carrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really into Max, but just saw a similar problem in another thread, http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=63389
    hope that helps^^
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    is this the famous issue where people dont get it that..
    you have to click the >>reset << button on the UVW unwrap modifier in order to really enter/edit the #2 channel.

many people including me did not get it until someone here pointed it out. So if you want to create a uv Channel #2 do:
    - add a unwrap UVW modifier
    - select channel (e.g #2)
    - hit the "reset" button
    - now hit the "edit UVW" button
    - make your UV layout in channel 2 in the UV editor and once you are done simply collapse the stack or leave the modifier

very stupid design decision from autodesk but apparently it was designed that way with customers desire in mind
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for that annoying reason I use separate unwrap modifiers each set to their own channel. But collaspoholics should get used to the reset button.

You should stay away from hitting the reset button when you first apply UV2 as it could reset to the original default layout (normally a mess or planar projection) not what you had in 1. If it does happen and you accidentally collapse it with UV2 set as true default, you can get around it by saving 1 and loading it into 2.

Also you can view the total number of UV channels on an object by selecting it, then going to Tools > Channel Info.
    UV1 = "1:map"
    UV2 = "2:map" and so on.

You can delete a channel either by clicking clear, or applying a "UVW Mapping Clear" modifier then collapsing the stack.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well its different but its not bad i got used to it and like it the way, because i can easily transfer uvs from one channel to another without saving and loading