Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Porkchop Express

Hey Polycount,

Here is a personal project I've been working on in my spare time. This it the porkchop express from one of my all time favorite movies "Big Trouble in Little China."

There is still alot of work to be done, the wheels, smoke stacks, and a bevy of other details. Let me know if you see anything particularly wacky that needs fixing.

Reference board
Pork_ref.jpg

Wires

Pork_wires.jpg
a%3E

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the poly flow is all weird. I don't know if you're going for high poly or low poly. Its unbalanced. Also, you have a lot of unnecessary edge loops, like in the exhaust pipes and front wheel cover. Also, I think the wheels should be a little thinner and double up the wheels in the back side by side which is shown in the first reference image.
    Great movie and great idea. It looks like you're off to a great start.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha awesome. Looks like you're off to a good start. =)

Suggestions:
    - For the high poly, probably don't need to merge everything into one object. Keeping it separate objects will help you work at a higher density on each piece without the rest slowing you down, might even help adaptive degradation a tiny bit.
    - The front tires look a little too rounded and could use some tread detail, which is probably coming?
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies!

P442 - The edge flow is very weird... and I can only chalk that up to the fact that im learning as im going. I would say I am leaning towards this being the high poly, but right now im just trying to get it looking like the reference.

Vig - Adaptive degredation? will have to look that up! LOL... like I said, im learning as I go and that includes how to effectively do tire treads.

I appreciate the quick response! Maybe should of finished more before I posted as most of it is stuff I just have not got to yet. There will be more updates coming!

thanks again

cheers
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice project! love the movie

the hood on your model is far too wide. The reference pictures have a hood that tapers in.

I find that modelling stuff where scale is an important factor, it's often a good idea to draw out the front, side and top views in a program like illustrator, then import these pictures onto planes in your modelling software.
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken - thats a good tip! There is certainly something not quite right with the body of the truck at the moment. It is definitely a semi truck... just not quite up to jack burton standards yet! :P