Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment - Hallway

RobStites
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
RobStites polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Been out of work so I've been working on this to try to update my portfolio. Still working on more props to clutter it up a little more, but I figured it was to a point where I could start getting it out there.

ScreenShot0012.jpg
ScreenShot0013.jpg
ScreenShot0015.jpg

If anyone needs an environment artist in the San Francisco Bay Area I'm free. :D

Here's the concept I've been using, I don't really want to match it 100%, but it's what I've been working from.

HallwayRef.jpg

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    in general i really like the colour sheme, but you might try to change the red sky as it is a bit over the top for my taste. view01 works best.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    everything looks really flat/dull. If you have spec maps, they are not doing much. the lighting also seems too green, like the lighting is cool, but the color is too saturated. try lowering the COLOR to .15 in maya or 15 in max. the textures are pretty good. you could grunge up the wall a little bit, and the red door has some clear PS brush strokes. Maybe that's the look your going for, but its only on the door.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    I like textures. Nice blend of stylized and realistic materials.

Sky and sun glow could be brighter and have more bloom to it, otherwise it does not make an "outside" impression and also looks like a pink wall.

Thick flexible tubes on the celling look off as to me. On the wall it is ok, but on the celling we r used to se wires e.g. something dark and thin.

Sewer lid needs some more variation to it, maybe more ptoto overlay because right now i can clearly see drop shadow/inner glow effect on circles in photoshop ;P
    U could mask it better i guess. Maybe add some holes and anti-sliding surface to the lid texture.

But overall nice work as to me :)
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin wrote: »
    I like textures. Nice blend of stylized and realistic materials.

Sky and sun glow could be brighter and have more bloom to it, otherwise it does not make an "outside" impression and also looks like a pink wall.

Thick flexible tubes on the celling look off as to me. On the wall it is ok, but on the celling we r used to se wires e.g. something dark and thin.

Sewer lid needs some more variation to it, maybe more ptoto overlay because right now i can clearly see drop shadow/inner glow effect on circles in photoshop ;P
    U could mask it better i guess. Maybe add some holes and anti-sliding surface to the lid texture.

But overall nice work as to me :)

I didn't want to make it too bright outside because I wanted to have contrast between the fluorescent light inside and the sunlight outside, I'll fool around with the lighting and see what I can come up with, maybe I'll just make it night. The hoses from the ceiling were like that in the concept I've been working from, but I might change it to some thinner wires because they do look a bit odd. No drop shadow/glow on the sewer texture, might just be the AO + spec on the edges. I baked normals down for it, but I think it might just need more geometry to really make it pop. Right now I'm working on some other props, but I'll go back and rework some of that stuff later today maybe.

I've got to go back and screw around with the concrete wall texture too, it's not quite right, I think the scaling might be a bit off.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first two shots the camera is too low and focusing too much on the ground. Normally with a low ground camera you want an up shot? In the first shot the door handle is above the horizon which makes me think I should be as tall as the scooter.

Manhole cover or a rug? Hard to tell. I don't think its so much the texture on top, but that it looks thin and set on top of a concrete slab but not in it. You could probably do this with a decal that includes a concrete seam and fades into the surrounding concrete?

The color pallet is not really meshing together. The lighting is kind of overly correcting for this but I think the lighting needs to come back in line a little more and the pallet needs to be balanced.

Keep at it, its looking pretty good =)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    looks good... I'm getting this weird feeling hat the normals on that white tile is flipped cause i see a high light from the light at the bottom.. Is it just the low angle or is it me??
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    looks good... I'm getting this weird feeling hat the normals on that white tile is flipped cause i see a high light from the light at the bottom.. Is it just the low angle or is it me??

Sorry, normals are fine, I had a stray light down there.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't really get much done today, tweaked a bunch of stuff and spent a while screwing around with some failed manhole ideas. Update for tonight.

Still getting the light hitting the bottom of the tiles, but it seems like that may be because of the viewing angle of the camera, normals are definitely not inverted and it still shows up with the fill light on. -shrugs-

screenshot0016.jpg
    screenshot0017.jpg
    screenshot0018.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The lighting has definitely improved a lot more, i'm definitely digging the mood of this piece. For some reason that vent against the left wall seems a bit low, but that may be scale, otherwise it's coming along nicely.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some screenshots of the props in Marmoset...

gascan.jpg
    milkcrate.jpg
    scooter.jpg
    socket.jpg
    tv.jpg
    manhole.jpg