Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cannon Deck (WIP)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
P442 polycounter lvl 8
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ed.QUAD/Desktop/cannondeckrender%20copy.jpg[/IMG]cannondeckrendercopy.jpg

I plan on adding a couple of crates and rope, and perhaps a mop.

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Those balls will roll around unless you put something under them from stop rolling.

Also, whats keeping the cannons in place once they fire. They have a levy system that rolls the cannon back for reloading and forward for firing. Also, how do they move them in and out if one becomes broken?

You have a great base, but it needs a lot more detail to flesh the area out and make it more believable.

Take a look at the interior of the HMS Victory for reference.

2761840809_ed582d38b7_b.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    thanks, this reference is fantastic. I could not find anything nearly like this online.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the HMS Victory is on "display" (so to speak) and if you do a search for it on Flickr or google images, you should pull up decent results of interior shots.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    cannondeckrender2copy.jpg
    the rope system might not be 100% accurate, but I got time constraints.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good but the first thought that came to mind is all of the stuff that would be rolling around. I like how the ropes and pulleys look on the ref photo that was posted, I think if you took the time to do that it would help out your scene a lot by breaking up the ceiling. Keep working at it, looking forward to seeing this one done.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I agree, but I still don't have a good enough idea of how all the ropes work. The best ref photos I've found are of the HMS Victory, thanks to what's_true, and I've looked at scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean, Goonies, Master and Commander, but haven't learned anything useful. It turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be. I have to turn this in on Wednesday for a class, but I might revisit in the future or just start over.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Heritage/1797/Victory/guns.html That website has pictures that should give you a clear idea of the rope system. Basically you had thick ropes (called Breaching) attached to the gun and the bulkhead, they kept the gun from recoiling too far back. There were also smaller ropes (called Tackle) attached to a system of pulleys, that when pulled, the gun would run forward into firing position.

Those ropes suspended from the ceiling are the flexible rammers.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    That's lookin great man, like I said in class really nice stuff. The lighting looks pretty sweet too, I think it could use maybe a little more light seeping in through those holes near the cannons not too much more though you want that nice dark piratey feel to it lol. Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing and I can't wait to see the final piece
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    thanks. in the first render i posted you can see that happening, but then i moved the cannons a little which blocked the light and haven't addressed it yet.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    renderview1copy.jpg
    I'm over this scene for now.