Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

...because we all love sci-fi guns!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sampson polycounter lvl 9
okay time to make a sci-fi gun from start to finish...
here's my 5 concepts so far.... i've roughly done no 1... veeery roughly painted no 2 .. but i dont want to really paint all of them if they r no good

the general idea i think is "NEEDZ MOAR PANELS and bits that stick out"

i'm not a concept artist i'm a 3d so yup!

33kvdeh.jpg

Replies

• Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if you had to pick one from the group i would go with 2 or 3, but to tell you the truth, design about 25 to 50 silhouette and you will find a few in there what really are awesome and new. Always takes me at least 20 to get the generic overused ideas of my my head. Another approach you might find that works for you is look up a ton of gun reference where the guns are all shot from the side like your concepts, and go into photoshop and pick and use pieces from those weapons to create something completely new by using the photos. This really helps with alot of the small parts on guns that are overlooked alot. Hope that helps! lol
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    2 looks nice, but 5 looks really interesting if you could make a proper concept out of it.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    boooooooorrrring i wanted ray guns
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    they all look really bulky :/

I dunno how everyone else handles this but in my experience it looks rather cool and elegant if you use a golden ratio for rifles
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    actually i am not a fan of those boxy 90° 45° sci fi guns at all ... not one bit
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Number 4 made me laugh, made me think of a sniper rifle that doubles as brass knuckles. the thought of punching someone w/ a high powered rifle on your fist made me chuckle. I think i would go with # 3 but the butt of the gun seems way to close to the grip... if it is just compact and maybe can pull out that would work otherwise i dunno. keep it rollin.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Forgive me for saying this, but it's a little too coro tutorial and not enough solid design sense. TBH, I think you should find a wicked concept and model it.

If you have good modeling skills but crap concept skills, you'll still end up modeling a crap looking gun. There are a ton of concept artist portfolios out there with good guns.

In fact, you may be able to find somebody here on polycount who would be willing to draw something for you.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Forgive me for saying this, but it's a little too coro tutorial and not enough solid design sense. TBH, I think you should find a wicked concept and model it.

If you have good modeling skills but crap concept skills, you'll still end up modeling a crap looking gun. There are a ton of concept artist portfolios out there with good guns.

In fact, you may be able to find somebody here on polycount who would be willing to draw something for you.

yeh its indeed very coro tut... haha - i'll try find some - anyone on polycount got anything? saves me searching then going "plox i need to hve da permizionz to make 3d"
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay i've taken no 5 and improved it.... only problem i see is how you actually hold the thing
    2072687.png
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some progress! (2-3 hours) - crits please - keeping in mind theres still alot to be done and changed - trigger, grip
    2q1e6vb.png
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    okay i've taken no 5 and improved it.... only problem i see is how you actually hold the thing

i like the refined silhouette, but this seems like a pretty big problem! ("I could win the war with this rifle, if i could pick it up!")

but, now that you have a 3d version of it to swing around and look at, time to ask yourself a couple of things:

where's the barrel?

does it use ammo? if so, where is that ammo stored? ( clip, chain, etc )
    is it an energy based gun? if so, is the energy pulled out of thin air? what mechanism pulls it out of thin air? is it stored? where are the storage devices and what do they look like?

how strong of a weapon is it? is it a really macho pea-shooter or would it make a flag ship rail gun look like a pea-shooter ( i.e. would the kickback rip the arm off the person firing it?) what facilitates not getting your arm ripped off?

These are just questions i just asked myself when looking at it. kinda seems like you went straight from silhouette to modeling and forgot all the give and take between. I'm not trying to imply that every single solitary little thing needs a function, but I would start by taking the shape you chose and working all the necessary functionality into it, and then build coolness around that.

keep at it dude.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Your shapes look good but i would make sure you've hammered down your concept before you dive right into the model. Figure out the functionality of it all so you're not scratching your head as you look at the high poly. when i first saw it i definitely thought rail gun. Keep running with it, i'm sure it'll look good. :thumbup:
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shifted alot of things around
    fw12u1.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looks alot better now man, Alot more "Holdable".
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know if the buttstock is WIP or not. If it's not, you gotta put some details on it, and sci fi it up a good deal. Also make it more holdable, at least for human hands. It also look a bit too old-fashioned, lever-action-rifle type. Not really what one expects on a sci fi weapon, such as the front of it looks like.
    Also, proceed :)
  • [Deleted User]
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    It's coming along, but I have to agree with Kaskad. The grips of a gun are one place where function needs to drive form regardless of what era the weapon is from. You should really nail down how the gun will be held before getting too far along. Don't forget what the non-trigger-arm will be holding onto, since it looks too big to wield one-handed at this point. You should add some kind of rounded surface for the second hand grip, although it doesn't need to look specifically like a grip with ribbing and everything.

You might consider gathering some references of sci-fi guns of the style you're looking for and cribbing some bits and pieces and design cues. Here are a couple of the guns from Mass Effect:

mass-effect-20070417043825875-000.jpg

Assault_Rifle_Concept_Art.jpg

One last thing, you should make sure to check out how the design holds up while looking down the barrel from first-person view. Right now it doesn't seem like there's much going on in the areas that would be most visible while holding the gun.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    sampson wrote: »
    shifted alot of things around
    fw12u1.jpg

It has a Serenity/Firefly quality to it. I think it's going somewhere, but the barrel is a bit weird: where does it shoot stuff from and how and what does it do it?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like either a mass driver or an energy weapon at this point.. I'm leaning more toward energy/lightning rifle similar to the dober gun ala gundam wing. But it really does need more in the way of engineering to make it functional. Little things like ammunition or power source and boring things like that...

I have an idea for a suggestion, but it will have to wait for a bit. Have to get some sprites done before midnight.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the feedback guys - i will be looking to make it more friendly

first person view (screengrab)- roughly - with photoshop tweaks (glow, dof)
    15n26a8.jpg
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey...I like your screenies and the shape and silhouette is looking promising. I know nothing about guns but I think you should nail down the type of ammo, how it fires, where it fires from etc before you go any further. It's looking good though, I hope you see this through!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the ammo comes out of the cylindrical shape in the middle. so you pull the top bit back - theres a hinge at the base, knock the energy cylinder thing out, put a fresh one in. (or is that very obscure unless u saw an in-game animation??

to do:
    fix the butstock and scifi
    make it more realistic to life
    otehr things

its nighty night for me!

render3.jpg
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    Here's some progress! (2-3 hours) - crits please - keeping in mind theres still alot to be done and changed - trigger, grip
    2q1e6vb.png

I love it! Im really interested in how you went about creating those shapes.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "those" - which ones??? and why did you reference an old image?