Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hjourl Depot -Environment

Hey PC, I've been around for a while, but this will be the first piece I've ever submitted for your guy's viewing pleasure. This is an environment I did for school following the Unearthly Challenge rules.
Its an old train depot set in the future. Story behind it is it's on the last remaining Earth space colony and it's being used to transport slaves that are being used to rebuild/clean up the colony.
74,674 tris. This is due next week and would like some c/c on how I can improve it.
Thanks guys
beautifyshot1.jpg
beautifyshot2.jpg
beautifyshot3.jpg
beautifyshotWireshot.jpg

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks really washed out right now. Maybe add a little bit more blue into the main light color.

It might also help to see some shadows from an additional light source You have a lot of complex shapes but with the main light at such a direct angle it doesn't really allow any of those shapes to project their shadows around the scene.

Overall the scene itself looks good I just think the lighting could do some work.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    What jocose said, better lighting could make this pop out alot more.
    At the moment it's actually quite hard to understand where the lighting is coming from at all, kinda feels like there's just some flying light in the middle of the room.
    The modeling looks good though, the scene could turn out quite nice with a bit more work!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    She's rockin, but I think this piece would have rocked harder if you spent some time doing highpoly models for some of your assets. The planks on the left side of the first scene especially stand out as needing softer, beveled edges. It's all a bit too harsh.

If you remove the fog effects from the scene, how does this look? I'd redo the fog to be less volumetric and more an effect that's emitting from areas so that it does not get washed out as the others have mentioned.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice dude. This looks way better than the ones our class did already. It's nice that you've kept it well under 100k tris but if I'm not mistaken there is a 250k limit. I feel you could have spent a few thousand more tris softening some things up as Brome said.

I personally liked the fog effect. Maybe make it a tad more subtle and it should bring it together a little more.

I'm diggin the train as well. I know a few people did a similar scene and struggled so this is refreshing to see you working hard on it. Keep up the good work bud.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone, I agree. I'm going to play with the lighting tonight.

And many things in the scene were baked down from highpoly's Brome, except for the very noticeable rafters and the segment in the left forground lol. oh and the fences.
    I actually like the scene with the fog, but I'm going to see how it would look if I did remove it and tweak the lighting.

Thanks Anthony!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i think more than the lighting, you need to work on your spec maps
    try to define some edges and add some variation to your surfaces.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I will have to agree that you need to work on your spec maps. Right now everything looks extreamly flat, and concrete. For your lighting try using some colored blue lights to give more of the feeling this is at night.

You said its a train depot? Right now I dont see that at all, I see an area where Im guessing tracks would go but I dont see any to indicate that what is in the room is a train.

Also what is that blue thing? Is that like one of those sweeping brushes on those cleaning trucks? Or is it a fallen over power generator? If it is a sweeper thing for the train I dont see right now how its attached, looks floating. If its a power gernerator thing I think you should angle it more so its not making such a 90 degree angle with the train and add maybe one or 2 standing up so people will understand better what it was and that this one has fallen over.

Looking good so far though.