Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The tribault - renaissance "gatling" gun

I've started this a couple days ago and I think it's already well in need of a thread to gather your feedback and advice.

Here's my puny moodboard for this project, the objective is to have a semi-automatic renaissance gunpowder-punk gatling gun.
Concept.jpg

Tribault_Vector.jpg

The Tribault is a semi-automatic arquebus with three muzzles that allow it to reload, prepare the fuse and fire at the same time.
003-Tribault.jpg
Everything is set in motion by this central crank. One full turn on it and you have one of the muzzles get a charger and bullet, the other have it's fuse readyed and one is ready to fire.
004-tri.jpg
The gun is fired by the lever near the crank that ignites the fuse of the current muzzle with a slow-burning cord attached to the mechanism.
005-trib.jpg
The weapon is reloaded by pulling the lever on the top of the barrel to release the feeding belt and attach a new one. Clean gunpowder must also be fed in the side opening.

I'm almost done with the hipoly and I'll be adding more ornate details and decorations in Photoshop using normalmaps from Nvidia plugin.

Here is a shot of how the weapon is used featuring Lowmax.
006-Trib.jpg

Also, here's a preview of the players view. This will recieve a higher polycount model but since it's a restricted view I won't need to have every single piece of the weapon modelled.
007-Trib.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, cool idea... the first-person view actually works really well right now, although his left hand is covering the end of the barrel - I'd either move his hand back a bit or make the barrel longer.

I think from the other angles it doesn't look quite as good yet - the barrels themselves seem very thin, I reckon if you made the cylinders 1.5x as thick then it'd be cooler and look less "weak".

The detail for all the moving parts and levers is quite cool though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agree with moving the front hand back a touch so that you can see more of the barrels length, maybe think about adding some holes between the barrels in the end spacer/circle/thingy would make bloom and lighting from the muzzle flash interesting.

is the backpack like the bullet store, i immediatly thought of a massive great bullet belt running from it, the backpack itself could be enlarged iMO
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

I've enlarged the barrels and moved the handle a bit so it doesn't cover them. Also added the cartidge feeding mechanism. I've also made the backpack quite larger. I'll leave the backpack to be modelled later so all I need right now is the ammo belt and then it's time to start the low-poly!

008-Tribault.jpg

010-Tribault.jpg

009-Tribault.jpg
    I wanted to show more of the weapon's mechanisms in the player view so I've lowered the player's view a bit, it sits just above the player's mouth under his nose so I don't think it's much of a problem.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    That face is priceless lol

nice gun too.