Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop # 1- alexl

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
alexl polycounter lvl 10
My workflow is slow and sloppy :p so I'm looking forward to learning something hopefully.
I started with this thing, no idea if it actually has a name but it has screws in it.

I started modelling with a single plane and moved vertices to match the silohuette of the object from the front and side views, added edge loops to the 2 sides and bottom to keep edges sharp when turbosmoothing, cut 8 sided circles into the side and started cutting and connecting verts and edges to keep everything in quads, I then added a symmetry modifier, flattened the stack and then started messing with the other side. Once it was looking alright added a shell modifier, flattened the stack and adjusted some more.

bi_month1_wip1.jpg

OBJ Here

Replies

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Sexy beveling on those larger holes. Nice workflow as well; Silo needs a shell option! *envy*
  • ericleekessler
    what's the best way to make those circle cuts in the mesh? booleans + cleanup? Have always wondered that (Mainly use maya, thought I'd add that in there :) )
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's the best way to make those circle cuts in the mesh? booleans + cleanup? Have always wondered that (Mainly use maya, thought I'd add that in there :) )

What I did was create the outside with plane shift-extruding, then boolean the holes out, then you can use a shell modifier with the inner amount set to the right amount, then add edge loops on the inside of the circles.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually what i tend to do is this:

circlecut.gif

A good thing to think about is the # of sides you're going to use for your cylinder, and plan that before you start.
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Nice method Earthquake, looks like a cleaner way to start things then what I did.

I did my circle cuts by placing an 8 sided circle spline behind the plane that I wanted a hole in, turned on snap to vertex and started cutting into the plane following the shape of the circle. Required cleaning up afterwards though.

bi_month1_circle_cuts.jpg

Real interesting seeing all the different methods people use and what have you floating around now, good stuff.
  • ericleekessler
    very interesting method EarthQuake, I like, seems quick clean and to the point :) and nice work so far alexl!
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    My update for the day, really interesting thing to model this panel, took me awhile.

bi_month1_wip2.jpg

OBJ Here
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Earthquake, I guess I never understood the difference between MeshSmooth and TurboSmooth. I see your using MeshSmooth there, but would TurboSmooth hurt at all? I think Maya just calls it Sub-D right? I've never used it before. Sub-D in Max just tesselates it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AFAIK in max, turbo/mesh are just different methods for the same thing, i think one may be faster than the other. Silly legacy max stuff? There are atleast 3 ways to turn on sub-d in max, so i dont really know if any of them have real differences visually.

Maya has like 3 was to turn on sub-d too, smooth preview, mesh -> smooth, and "smooth proxy".

In modo all you do is hit tab to turn it on/off. =)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    And in Silo it's just c and v to go up and down in sub-d levels, though there is a toggle like modo too. Never understood why Max doesn't just call it what it is...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I really like yours Alex, well put together. No crits really.
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    I think I'm almost done, might do the text engravings, might not.

bi_month1_wip3.jpg

OBJ Here
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    AFAIK in max, turbo/mesh are just different methods for the same thing, i think one may be faster than the other. Silly legacy max stuff? There are atleast 3 ways to turn on sub-d in max, so i dont really know if any of them have real differences visually.

Maya has like 3 was to turn on sub-d too, smooth preview, mesh -> smooth, and "smooth proxy".

In modo all you do is hit tab to turn it on/off. =)

your missing out convert to sub'd there which is the most powerfull of the bunch