Home Technical Talk

UVW Map question

Hi guys, I've been trying to find a thread where someone put an example of optimization for a lowpoly tank for DS specs. He did with the tank UVWmap something like this:
Changed this:
27627990.jpg
To this:
34825667.jpg

He flipped the maps outside the main map, my question is how I do this? I can't find that thread :/

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 6 shades of confused...

1) Where is the live area the 0-1 space in those images?
    2) Which tank tread thread?
    3) Are you trying to flip the tile outside of the 0-1 space or flip the UV shells.
    4) What app?
    5) Other then the red outline I don't see much of a difference in the images?
    6) Anything that hangs outside of the 0-1 space falls on the next tile, but the next tile isn't flipped like you show its a tile, as if you move your main texture 1 unit over.
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) The one with the polys (in white) over it -> the one of the right.
    2) There was a lowpoly thread (i've tryed looking at the one in Pimpin' and Previews) but the Search Tool doesn't find threads from 2008.
    3) Flip the tile outside of the 0-1 space (I'm assuming 0-1 space means the actual space of the main UVWmap).
    4) 3dsMax..5!
    5) The main difference is that the map outside the main map sould be mirrored so I can put those polys that are half out of the main map like they are, so the half of them (the red outline) use the same mirrored map. Bah!!! I've lost a lot of english!!!sorry...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't mirror the tiles outside of the 0-1 space (live area) they will always be tiles with the same orientation of the original. Like this:
    UVTile.jpg

What you can do is stack the piece you want to mirror. If you want the seam to be flawless you can mirror the piece (flip it inside out) and even stitch the edges together to prevent smoothing errors.

If for some reason it causes a problem being stacked (like rendering normal maps or Ambient Occlusion) you can break the seam and move it 1 unit over using the type in transform coordinates, just like the standard 3dsmax type in coordinates in the main app.
    UnwrapUVWCoords.jpg
    To do that you click one and enter 1 (left) or -1(right) into two and hit enter, then unselect one.
    The 0-1 space is the live space you normally do all your UV mapping in.
    0 is the lower right corner.
    1 is the upper left corner.
    U is horizontal.
    V is vertical.
    One toggles between scale and move.
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for the info Vig!
    And I swear that guy did it... it's a pitty I can't find it again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he did, it was probably 3dsmax specific and probably not supported by any engine.

I also edited the post with some more info, hopefully its more clear then my previous ramblings =)
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, probably that works on DS engine... who knows? for sure I don't xD

Thanks again =)

Edit: the infamous tank was suposed to be for DS!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it works in unreal too ;)

rapante found out how it works in max a while back,

you have to turn on mirroring in the textures tiling options and then set the tiling to 0,5
    One toggles between scale and move.
    crazy i never even recognized this as a button!
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    hehe Neox is right, kinda weird, but works :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    In a Max standard shader you can just switch it from tiling to mirroring. In the bitmap part of the shader, in the coordinates roll out, you simply uncheck tile and check mirror, and it will mirror it.

AFAIK the DS game he was working on is the only thing that supports this, although apparently it works in Unreal, too :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    but only chaging from tiling to mirroring doesn't do the job, it does something odd :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most shader systems can support this, using Mirror. Usually shaders use Wrap, but there's also Clamp and Mirror too, and sometimes some others.

For example ...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa915185.aspx