Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Sphere.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys!

Im a second year at Qantm college, in Brisbane Australia, and i just started my final project with a group of guys at college. We pretty much have 6 months to make a game from scratch, to be entered into gcap at the end of the year.
We have 4 artists 2 level designers/leads and 4 programmers so we have a pretty large team, and im pretty confident that we will be able to do some cool shizz.

Anyways we are into the concept stage and i intend to keep this thread updated as we go, please be as critical as possible as we are here to learn and try and get into industry.

The game is an action adventure puzzle game (possible being both first person and third person), where the player gets to ride around in a sphere like vehicle on a space station destroying a flora like growth that is attacking the complex. A lot is still to be decided and other things cant be decided on until we are able to test them.
One important thing is that this game is mostly player vs level with most of the art in the game being level art and the plants, so a lot of mechanical and a lot of plantlike organic forms.

We are going to be making use of normal maps, and the workflow that i have worked out so far is pretty much.
  • if organic model low basemesh in 3dsmax and sculpt basemesh in mudbox
  • if mechanical sub'd model in max
  • Either use modified basemesh or retopo in max. Probably with the use of this retopo script. http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/max-retopo
  • unwrap with max's uv tools and roadkill
  • bake ao and normal maps in xnormal
  • texture in ps
The normal mapping techniques that we are using arent so much taught at the college, (more focusing on last gen... uuugh) but my guys seem to have gotten the techniques required down pretty fast, and i want them to have more chance at getting the jobs at the end so thats why im pushing for it.

Anyways here is some shizz.

The sculpt is just a concept sculpt. The normal mapped model was a demonstration of the workflow to the other guys in the group hence why the texturing is dodgy.

I have alot more stuff in the works but this is the only stuff presentable 2 weeks in :).

Enjoy.

Muzz_inferiorplanet_characterconcep.jpg

conceptsculpt1.jpg

conceptsculpt2.jpg

test-drone-1.jpg

test-drone-2.jpg

Replies