Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darkwatch - Rifle

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HellMark polycounter lvl 18
Almost done with the HP. Need to finish out the back handle section then on to the LP.

WIP07.jpg
WIP06-1.jpg
WIP05-1.jpg
WIP08-1.jpg

Mark

Replies

• Jarod1872
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarod1872 polycounter lvl 10
    Cool man. That game had some sick weapon design, and you're definitely matching it pretty closely. I know it's hard when you're working from a set concept, but I would personally add a little more interest to the middle of the gun. I know it's because the barrel is so long and, really, there's only so much you can do to a barrel, but adding a few more knobs and switches to the main body I think might help interest in those areas. I'm nowhere near an expert on this, but it seems to me like my eye usually goes to the main body above the trigger guard when I'm looking at a gun, especially in first person. Just a thought though. Nice work!
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving on to the low poly.
    WIP25.jpg
    WIP26.jpg
    WIP27.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Might be personal taste, but the edge quality is a bit too tight. Id loosen those edges a bit, so the normal map and spec maps have an area to dance around on. Other wise its just going to be razor sharp edges. I got nothing else besides that. Textures will sell this.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty good HellMark. I really like the wrapped handle part of the stock, you did a great job with the wrappings. But I also agree with stimpack, I can't see those super sharp edges doing much when it comes time to bake your normals. And idk if its just me but the sight seems too big. It looks like it has a hinge so it can fold flat, but the tube part of it is so thick or long that it looks like it would hit the gun and keep it from folding all the way down.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done unless anyone has anything to add I should look at. Thanks.

CompliationShot.jpg
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome metal going on there. The wood doesn't seem right to me tho. Is it wood? If it's not then thats fine. But if it is then it looks to shiny and plasticy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    *&#$in awesome. Love the style.

The handle looks a little confusing, not sure if those are wrappings along the thin part. If you darked it a bit it might look like electircal tape or something. You could add some geo where the tape has unwound a bit at the edges...

Wood texture has a strange crisscross quality to it, with grains going all which ways. Doesn't match the hand painted nature of the metal. Might want a new wood texture with a simple but defined grain.

The tip of the gun could use some softening of the edges to fit with the rest, but that's just being a bit nit picky.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work! I agree with crazyfingers, you should differentiate the wrapping from the wood more clearly. Not sure what that material is right now, seems like copper. Leather would make the most sense there and give a nice contrast to the wood and metal. I would also suggest popping out the iron cross part in the handle further, right now it feels flat and blurry. It's hard to tell, but seems like you put brightened edging where the wood meets the iron cross; I'd suggest going the other direction and darkening the wood where it meets the iron cross, since that is a place where dirt and grime would build up.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow fast and great feedback guys. I'm in total agreement here. Going back in to make changes. Thanks!
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    This looks awesome! good job.

My very minor critique would be to render this on a darker background, light grey seems to be preventing your metal from popping as much as it could.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update from the feedback I've been getting. Thanks everyone.

CompilationShot03.jpg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    IMG_0004.jpg

I dunno if you saw this reference image or not, but it has some great little notes about what is what on the gun. If you wanted to break-up the coloration a bit more on the front and make it more interesting, you can make that foldout stand have a silver tipped spike. That should be a quick fix in the diffuse.

Then IMO the grip right near the trigger would be more suited as a rubber grip and with the shininess in your spec right now it appears more metal. Maybe make it a little darker too for the rubber feel, then just brighten up the edges slightly in the diffuse to make the grip popout more. Try the same thing with the grip near the sight too, darken that up a bit as well to try n get some more contrast from the guns overall appearance.

In the ref image they also talk about engravings near that little skull symbol, just maybe the gun ID number, little bits of info like that could give the gun more character too.

I saw an earlier post recommeding to make that strap electrical tape, if that's what you went for it's not too far off, but electrical tape is a bit darker and has more bumpiness too it. Kind of a criss cross pattern underneath it with small threads that appear on the surface of the tape as little bumps. The edges of electrical tape tear really easily too and have a slightly white border when it does because of the sticky material underneath.

Overall though it's lookin really good already. Model looks sweet and those scratches are playing really well with the metal. Nice spec on the metal, looks legit.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Looks sick, at a loss for more suggestions :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing, love the metal!

Crit(s):
    - Leather strap looks like a plastic garbage bag or maybe is from a vampires leather pants? I expected to see dirty old leather?
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    ah nostalgia... I actually tested Darkwatch on Xbox back in the day. You nailed the style pretty much dead-on.

I'd go for a lighter-shade of leather for the wrap on the stock. Or if all else fails, make it black. :)
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated. Thanks again for all the feedback.

CompilationShot05.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I liked the previous render better, cause the scratching was toned down and less obvious. This new one is kinda overkill cause its to obvious (you brightened up everything), to the point were the scratchings kinda don't make sense anymore. (i think its more noticeable in the barrel)
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    agreed with above ^

Nice job though, this is a great looking result!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stellar piece of work!
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where does the hand go when wanting to pull the trigger?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff, I really like the metal texture and specularity.