Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grenadier

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
Yo guys! Here is my first game model. It is inspired by HawkPrey's grenadier concept and Vitaliy Bulgarov's Rabagh. This is my first time texturing a model.
So plz, tear it apart!

upper_body_2.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

back_2.jpg

side.jpg

side.jpg

face.jpg

And here are the maps:

diffuse_organic.jpg

organic_normal.jpg

organic_specular.jpg
diffuse_plus_ambient.jpg

armor_normal.jpg

Wireframe.jpg

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    First thing i noticed is that in your unwraps you've uniquely unwrapped each individual grenade. No need for that, just do one, and copy it multiple times. Maybe do at the most three different ones in order to get some variation in color, design etc.

The character's texture looks like everything is uniquely unwrapped for no reason. both sides are textured exactly the same so why not just mirror the UVs?

Those eyes gotta go! Is that an image of an unwrapped polygon primitive slapped onto his eyeball? ditch that imo

spec isn't working very well.. he looks very plastic.

lighting is bad. Can't see it very well and it's really not helping show your model of as it is right now.

my personal opinion about your color choices. Not enough subtle color variation in the skin. It's all the same brownish color with weird reds and greens throughout (which reminds me of Christmas colors and i hate red and green together lol) Try giving a little more love to your skin textures... right now they look kindof like they were just thrown together in microsoft paint.

On the good side though the design is pretty cool... i dig his proportions and the modeling looks pretty solid (although I know next to nothing about polyflow for characters)

I say keep the model cuz it's pretty good, but scrap the textures, re unwrap it and try again.

Much better than my first character! eeek!

edit: the textures on the clothing parts are pretty nice though.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam, thank you for taking your time on your critique. I know that mirroring UVs could be done, but could you elaborate more on that and how it'll work if I bake it? I've a lot of pro's do it and I always wondered why exactly do they do that.
    As far as spec - yes i've had some trouble finding a good spec tutorial. And texturing is really weak. I will be working on that very hard this summer :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, you want to mirror your uvs (have the overlap) so that you save texture space. This is critical when trying to optimize meshes to run in game engines. So if you have a texture that will simply repeat (like the right half of a character is the same as the left for example) then make the uv's overlap. This will greatly optimize your textures and is a must tbh.
    Here are some spec tutorials:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html

http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_SpecularMaps

http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_CreatingModels

Good luck dude and keep working on those textures!
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 There are some really good tutorials! tnx m8!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks good for first model.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good =)

A few points:
    - Spec is too bright, the skin is really shinny, almost like polished metal?
    - The white space around the spec might bleed through on the edges of the UV shells, maybe pick another color closer to the shells themselves. Same goes for the normal map.
    - I'm not really sure whats going on with the white on the face in the diffuse?
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Quick tip: Try to use a dark gray as your render background instead of a black. Basically just anything but a black background. It's so much easier to see a silhouette. Keep it up though. Awesome for your first try! :)
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    A few things:
    -Not digging those greens in your texture at all. The veins in the back look nice but other than that the green is just splattered on and looks kinda nasty
    -It looks like his forearms are broken in the front view. It looks like his bone is popping out in the inner forearm area. Your anatomy is slightly off and im not sure if you knowingly did that since the creature isnt quite human or you just havent studied anatomy. That being said, imo it looks pretty damn cool aside from the forearm issue.

You did a good job for your first model! Keep em coming!

Slightly off-topic, but have u been able to find any of hawkpreys work lately? His site is down, what a bummer
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know too much about character stuff but it seems like you wouldn't really need to bake all of the grenades individually... I may be wrong but couldn't you just unwrap and bake one then copy it over as many times as you would need? maybe a couple variations would be alright but I would think it might open up some texture space to give the rest of your map more detail.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx guys for the advice! I love the community here! :)

beartraps Yea I recently got a chance to meet Hawkprey in person and he said his server has been down and he just didn't get a chance to fix it yet. But I spent a good hour on google searching for his stuff and actually found a lot.