Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1 - MoP

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
So, I don't have time to do a full model of this since I'm going on holiday this Friday and have other stuff to do until then, but I thought I'd throw together this quick tutorial and idea, maybe people might like to try it.

Basically it's a way of making fully editable, bevelled text which will work for any floating geometry, for baking normal maps. You could also then add Bend, Taper or Path Deform modifiers on top to make this text wrap to any surface, which may have interesting applications

This is all completely non-destructive through the modifier stack - no manual mesh editing is done at any stage, so there is nothing that can really "go wrong". You will always have the text and bevel settings fully editable!

Overview:
parametric_text_01.jpg

Examples:
parametric_text_02.jpg

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice Mop. Appreciated :)
    Will try it for my piece.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, awesome. Thanks for this Mop. I don't take advantage of the stack enough from the looks of it, most of my modelling within max is destructive.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This is going to help my workflow, thanks!
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Oh shnap! This is awesome. Will have to give that a try. Much appreciated. Cheers.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, a lot of people like to be very destructive when working, and a lot of the time this isn't a problem, especially since we're mostly dealing with lowpoly meshes which are going to end up UV-mapped uniquely and skinned to bones anyway.

I rarely see people in game dev building up complex modifier stacks (hardly ever seen anyone with a stack above 3-4 modifiers to be honest!) but if you know how to leverage the right modifiers in the right place, you can really end up with a very interactive (and as a side-effect, easily animatable!) result which is ultimately non-destructive and very flexible.

For text, though, this may seem overkill in a lot of ways, since doing it in Photoshop with the NVidia filter or Crazybump is mostly going to be almost as flexible and fast (and won't require re-baking the normal-map!), and you rarely need this kind of detail on text anyway.

Still, it doesn't hurt to know how :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I can't see anything...has it dissapeared?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fine to me here, Blenderhead.

However, I just realised my initial setup was bone-headedly complicated!

I've updated the original post with the new method, which is much simpler and way easier to edit, with more options for end results and less editing time.

Apologies for misleading anyone with my original method - that still works, but it is far from optimal or easy compared to this method.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I think I am missing something on this. When I try this work flow I can get the text but I am unable to get the button part.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh sorry. I forgot to point out, that thing in the background is just a cylinder with some edge loops :)

These hints are purely about the text effect and using the Sweep modifier with a profile spline to create quick but complex meshes.

Also, wingdings!!!1
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird...still don't see anything. Any reason your website would have its images blocked on a work computer MoP? Or are they up on imageshack?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I put the image in my dropbox. Try clicking this link blenderhead.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/469564/parametric_text_01.jpg
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice workflow, thanks for sharing mop
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Blenderhead: No idea, maybe check your settings? It's hosted on my own site's FTP, and clearly everyone else can see them! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool trick. I love non-destructive workflows.

I can see being able to adjust the angle of the bevel when baking, being very handy. Is it continuous or is there a break at the first spline vert where the sweep starts and stops. If that ever causes a problem I guess you could preform one destructive edit poly on top of the stack to weld and smooth the ends. Still fully editible stack undernieth as long as the number of verts doesn't change you won't have to redo the edit poly.

Was your original method to use actual geometry and PathDeform(WSM) it around the text?

Per, it just started up the day before yesterday so you're not missing much yet, but I get what you're saying people might miss out on the goods if its not more public.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »
    Oh sorry. I forgot to point out, that thing in the background is just a cylinder with some edge loops :)

These hints are purely about the text effect and using the Sweep modifier with a profile spline to create quick but complex meshes.

Also, wingdings!!!1

HAHAHAHA thanks I was going nuts trying to figure that out. I am such a noob :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks MoP and P.I.G. It worked from your dropbox. Cool tutorial.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this is awesome, thanks for that MoP!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    didnt really work here, maybe i made something wrong,
    edit the shape was too big, but i still get intersections
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt really work here, maybe i made something wrong

You're going to have to provide some more information if you'de like help.

To start, you must have some idea of perhaps why it isnt working, or atleast you should be able to tell us what i does do(other than not work). Like specifically what happened when you tried to set it up. Showing some images of your stack/the result that you did get would help too.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, again my initial image is probably still misleading. I scaled the "profile" spline up to show the shape of it better, and the number of control points.

The "profile" spline actually starts out quite small. The nice thing about using the Sweep is that you can just edit the "profile" spline and see the results update on the fly with your text, so you can tweak it quickly if the spline is too big or the wrong shape.

You can also play with the Sweep settings to choose where the "center" of the profile spline is relative to the text, if you look in the modifier settings for the Sweep you will see a little grid of 9 buttons with dots and lines on them - try clicking different buttons there to see how the "profile" spline moves relative to the text.

If I get some time later I'm also going to look into getting the same result in Maya using nurbs curves.
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a bunch MoP, look forward to giving this a try when I get to that bit of the model.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    very sweet share :)
    always much to learn from you on this board :D
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    Max8

ok....i can't stand it anymore. i've never used text or sweep. i can't for the life of me figure out how to NOT get geo lapover in the center of the V.

textt.jpg
    Shot at 2009-06-13

then....when i create a spline....everything just goes bananas and no matter how much i manipulate the spline....it's just too crazy to figure out what is going on.

text01.jpg
    Shot at 2009-06-13
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    The path spline you made is too big shrink it down some
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Cool method MoP.

Though when I try this, the turbosmooth rounds the corners too much, because it is missing the extra edges to uphold the corners, is there some setting I missed? Or is it that just some fonts are suitable for this?

@keizza, this image shows how big the spline is I use for this, hope that helps. I also have similar problems with different fonts though.

edit: added image to clarify
    mop_text_01.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, go in to the sweep parameters and you should see an option for "adaptive" or "optimise" checkbox (can't remember exact name, writing this from my iPod nowhere near a computer :D)

There should also be a spinner to change the steps or subdivisions of the text spline. I should really amend these images with some better guidance once I get back from holiday!
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I tried this some more, several times : P Just didnt post anything cos I felt I was missing something really silly. Still no luck though. Weird thing is that I do not have any interpolation parameter settings in the sweep modifier, when I choose "custom section". It is there when I use the "built in section" But that does not give very good results either, because it only adds to the bevel shape, not the actual corners of the text where the "problem areas" are. Also tried using the interpolation in the text, which also wasnt very succesful. Still curious how you pulled it of, or that it is just some fonts that are suitable for this. I just used arial for testing. There were some others that gave decent results, but I wanted to figure out if something could work on all (or most). And what you did just looks really good.

Anyways, enjoy the holday!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could go in and manually add in a few more supporting edges to retain the shape a bit better.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    slave_one: Gah, sorry dude, I have mislead you again. The settings I was referring to are in the text properties, not the Sweep properties!
    Also, you are right that some fonts work better than others - but I found that a good half of my font selection (including weird custom ones) worked fine.

EQ: Yeah, that'll work, but the point of this method is to be nondestructive and 100% editable, so any manual poly cutting should be avoided.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, no problem mate. I'll just stick with the ones that work for this method and if something specific is needed will add some support edges.

I think I actually used the bevel profile modifer in the past to do similar things, it was nice to check out the sweep modifier since I have never touched it. Thanks for the post!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i got the text part but how do u insert the text into the button
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont! It floats just above.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    oh ok. i thot there was a magical way of makin letters imprinted onto a surface. guess not.