Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #1 - Vrav

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Vrav polycounter lvl 11
Woohoo! First workshop underway, thanks P.I.G. and EQ for getting it started.

Here's my start, all Silo.

OBJ: WIP

bimgaw1-vrav-01.jpg

Semi-new ground for me, tried a few things I'd never gotten around to experimenting with. I took a few screenshots of my process along the way if anyone wants to see what I did for any given part. First thing I did was the NV button, which was interesting; it's not perfectly smooth with the letters stitched in like that, but I felt compelled to try. For a tiny detail, it works. Despite having integrated the three buttons into the plastic frame, they are actually detached to allow for pushing if need be. The only floaters so far are the hoods, which look fine; if I were to model the "-off-" and "on--" designations, they'd probably be left floating too.

I used 24-sided cylinders for the screws and round button. This made merging with the plastic and still keeping shape a bit easier to handle. Additionally, due to the radial distribution of loops on the top of the screws, I was able to just cut in the X shape without having to do any boolean or custom stitching (as was done with the buttons). Since the screws are nestled in recessions, it isn't a problem to detach and rotate for a break in symmetry.

Replies

• EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    realy nice that you try to make as much unfloating as possible
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good dude, one of the biggest things i would suggest is for parts that are actually different parts in your reference(screws, buttons) that you model them as separate meshes, this way you dont need to keep the same topoloy throughout. Which means you can use a lot less goemetry for instance on the indents for the screws, and as much as you need to get the detailing on the screws how you like it, and cut down on a lot of excess loops.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i agree. i started mine and have floaters galore. hahahaha. but this seems be a situation where one would learn more. may i ask how you actually started? extruding edges out from cylinder edges? then patch?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Hey... you're right. If they're separate objects in reality, there is really no reason to merge them in on a highpoly model. Good point, though it makes me want to go all out and try threaded holes and solid screws to create a sort of pop-apart schematic... ahah. Maybe, not part of the workshop though I guess.

I tend to start pretty simple - that's basically it... here are some shots to demonstrate what was done. Didn't take any shots of the screw heads, but they are iffy anyway, definitely worth being redone with less geometry.

bimgaw1-vrav-02.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a great start!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work Vrav, it would have taken me a long time to create 1 mesh for the whole thing. Seems like you're lightning.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff!
    I hate that my thread with next to nothing in it by comparison has more posts than threads with real work in :)

The model looks fine, although it does seem like you may be making things a little hard on yourself unnecessarily by trying to make everyone one mesh.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of the time, when things are separate objects in real life, it's also sensible to make them as separate objects when modelling - prime examples here are the screws which you seem to have connected up to the main mesh. A lot of the time if you're not careful, the smoothing of the "pit" surrounding where you connect the screw mesh to the sunken hole mesh can end up looking strange, in reality there's a solid, sharp delineation between where one surface "ends" and another "starts", but if you make it all one mesh then it can have a tendency to look a little ... I dunno, goo-ey?

It doesn't really look like that here, since the parts are so small, but I still think it's good practice to try and construct things as they would be made in reality, usually that can help with the believability of the structure and prevent unnatural-looking surface intersections.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys.. hah, MoP, you're funny. Your thread is an awesome tip. (for Max users!)

More dinking around tonight, figured I'd post an under-construction shot while taking a break (headache)... nothing fancy or exciting, I almost feel guilty, but it's good practice, so whatever. Obj in first post updated too.

bimgaw1-vrav-03.jpg

Just a few parts (and holes) left, I think, before the low.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    You are acing this vrav :)
    Good job.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Notorious - it's been surprisingly fun so far, has me looking forward to future topics too. Community workshops ftw.