Home Technical Talk

3ds max edged faces performance issue

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
hey ho..
i´m wondering if there's some kind of a fix for the problem, that max starts to get very slow with "edged faces" enabled
or some way to increase the speed at least a little bit

it seems to me that the count of objects is more important to the speed drop than the actual polycount

it´s not that i can´t "work-around"-it but if there´s some easy way to speed things up it would be stupid not to ask

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    do you have back face cull enabled for your objects? it slows down the rendering to a pretty stupid level, to say from 200+ fps (on a gforce gtx260 & quadcore) down to 4-8 fps...

funny thing is I thought it had actually run way faster with edged faces and backface culling on my old 6800gt rig..
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    another way to speed up is to set the display mode to #flat so that all the shading is not computed anymore.
    With big scenes that was usually the biggest boost for me, and yes the back face culling should be set to off which should be by default since max 9 (because of that reason).
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx for the tips.. but actually the backface culling is not affecting the whole thing..

and i should have mentioned, that I only get a framerate drop when hard-edges (facets) is selected.. with smooth shading + edged faces the speed drop is not nearly as strong.. in fact you feel it only with lots of polys (no surprise)

:(

edit: btw.. wrong thread.. ?! .. ;)