• Fliff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I punched John Warners consciousness today while expanding mine
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    The world doesn't need saving, we do. I think carlin mentioned that in the twice posted yout00b in this thread, if i remember correctly. I mean, not too long ago our atmosphere didn't even have oxygen. The earth was still in good shape. Life as we know it today wouldn't be tho, but in the grand scheme, what does it matter?

Like others have mentioned in this thread, if you want to save humanity, turn off your lights, recycle, don't eat fast food, and throw out that goddamn tv. :P And buy locally made clothes. And play terrence mckenna speeches on your ipod. Um, i mean local brands of ipod equivalents not manufactured in china.. or something. oh crap.. :P
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the shit that people who want to "save the environment" do is massively wasteful. Like buying stuff made locally, or organic food made on small farms. Cheap food is cheap because it uses fewer resources. want to save the planet? Eat ramen and bean burritos from Taco Bell. telecommute, or better yet, commit suicide. Then your corpse will grow microbes and plants. That is probably the only way you can change your existence into a net benefit "for the planet".

Honestly, I think a lot of this alarmist stuff is kind of overblown. In the 50's people thought we would have robot buddies and flying cars and have colonies on other planets. It didn't happen. Now people think we are going to be up to our asses in garbage and melted ice caps-- if we are lucky we will be able to rope together enough dead polar bears to make a raft.

The reality is that things will probably get worse in some ways and better in others. We will still have class and race issues. There will still be crimes and death. You still won't own everything you want.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Ninjas wrote: »
    -- if we are lucky we will be able to rope together enough dead polar bears to make a raft.

That is impossible!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not if you use a rope made of woven hair.

From your back.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    LOL @ Stop cutting trees. Tell that to the beavers. Tell that to the little animals that make homes inside them. Tell that to the bugs that live in them, and rot them from the inside out. Trees are replanted. They are an infinitely renewable resource.

You ever see a beaver replant a tree?

Didn't think so.

So kill all the fucking beavers.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Hush. I'm making love - not war - and you're putting me off my stroke
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Daaark wrote: »
    LOL @ Stop cutting trees. Tell that to the beavers. Tell that to the little animals that make homes inside them. Tell that to the bugs that live in them, and rot them from the inside out. Trees are replanted. They are an infinitely renewable resource.

Actually, that's the point. Cutting trees isn't a bad thing because you're hurting the trees. It's because you're ruining life for all the beavers, little animals and bugs in the neighborhood. Chopping down forests brings species to extinction, or forces them to try to life in the city among humans instead, which is a definite lose-lose situation.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    We still need wood.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Go watch your starlet of choice bend over, then. :P
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    it's all the soy eatin' hippies causing the rain forests to be cut down to support their granola lifestyle. Save the planet! Stop eating Soy!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I have a solution to this problem. Lets just stop having kids and then do whatever the hell we want to do, and then when all the humans are dead we can let whatever life is left pick up the pieces. No kids = no reason to care what happens in the future. Problem solved.

And seriously how would you care? Your going to be dead, your incapable of existing caring is the least of our worries.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i wish i did cool shit like decapitate people while i smoked weed.

instead i just write music, and have in-depth conversations with my girlfriend about things i could otherwise not open up to...

anyway, saving the whole planet is something too big for one man, and probaby too big for everyone too. but it can't hurt to try.
    i totally understand the point of view that games are a huge part of the media. hell i'd go so far as to say MORE people play games, than watch/read the news, and the majority of people who play games, are in an age bracket where messages will be more easily placed in their minds.

with all of the DS games like cooking mama, and other young age group titles with the idea of education behind them, why would it be so hard to introduce recycling into those games? why not add it into cooking mama? "okay so you've put your flour into your cake, what do you do with the wrapper? put it in the bin? or the recycling?".

anyway, i'm gonna go smoke a fatty, start getting drunk, and laugh at Gordon Brown some more.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ninjas-"Cheap food is cheap because it uses fewer resources"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr BULLCRAP

its cheap because its rapes the land/worlds resources (dust bowl anyone?) and doesnt need to keep the ecosystems around it in balance until things fuck up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    i and have in-depth conversations with my girlfriend about things i could otherwise not open up to...
    You talk to your girlfriend? What manner of sick creature are you?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck all the haters in this thread. Dont give up on your ideas boyluya . :) And you can make a difference.

Peace!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr wrote: »
    it's all the soy eatin' hippies causing the rain forests to be cut down to support their granola lifestyle. Save the planet! Stop eating Soy!

for every soy bean you wont eat, I'll eat three!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    ninjas-"Cheap food is cheap because it uses fewer resources"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr BULLCRAP

its cheap because its rapes the land/worlds resources (dust bowl anyone?) and doesnt need to keep the ecosystems around it in balance until things fuck up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

Haha, I actually lived in Oklahoma for, oh, 10 years. They can still grow things now as well as they ever could. Maybe they were "raping the land" back in the 30's, but farmers have found that it is better to use crop rotation and fertilizers, and when they do, dust storms are not as much of a problem (for example, Oklahoma has had many worse droughts than in the dust bowl recently)

using heavy duty pesticides, nitrogen and crop rotation maximizes yields on land and reduces fallow periods. Why would a farmer want to destroy his own land?

My hippy parents run a "sustainable farm". You know what that means? You can't export carbon or nutrients off your land. ie, if everyone was being sustainable, everyone would have to grow their own food. It would be hard to find time to make games when you are milking cows, pullings weeds and "processing" chickens.

That said, if you are not returning your bio-waste to the place that is making your "organic" food, they are just raping the land with much lower crop yields than those people using modern farming techniques.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Fuck all the haters in this thread. Dont give up on your ideas boyluya . :) And you can make a difference.

Peace!

Thank you. Like what I have said, for many, these kind of things are not cool. That's why they are haters. Or maybe the truth is, they are just guilty of themselves that they're not doing something good for the world.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey, i don't have a drivers licence either! i bought meself a bike, but its really disturbing to see how many people actually drive in this tiny little town.
    whats the fucking purpose of driving a distance you can walk in 15 minutes, and bike in about the same time it takes to drive? i've actually managed to bike past some of the cars in town here...
    some people... GAH its infuriating. makes me go insane.
    anyways, there's actually much that can be done.

here's a few ways that are eco-friendly, and also makes your life easier, and cheaper:

geothermal power:
    drill a deep hole in the ground, and put a fan above the hole, attached to a dynamo. electricity!
    and free heating too :)

solar panels:
    put them on the roof. you save on electricity bills in the summer, and the otherwise huge bills you'd rack up for airconditioning will be gone.

in-wheel hybrid:
    no transmission, which means you cut away all the friction caused by the transmission,
    reducing the fuel economy, and improving the power output of the car.
    put in a battery pack, and you can run off the battery power, and go over to engine power when the battery goes flat.

grow your own veggies:

yarr, nuff said.
    you can even do it in your kitchen.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    dejawolf wrote: »
    whats the fucking purpose of driving a distance you can walk in 15 minutes, and bike in about the same time it takes to drive? ...
    some people... GAH its infuriating. makes me go insane.

What's the purpose? Oh, I dunno. Picking up kids, getting groceries, driving to work (thinking about stuffy office-type suit wearers), meeting a client, picking up a date, going to a job site (transporting tools etc).

All of these are things which would be a pain-in-the-ass, impossible, or wretchedly embarrassing whilst riding a bicycle or walking.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    For those who haven't fallen into the narcissistic realm of MMand I and instead, give a shit. There are companies and orgs doing this already. :)

G4C Games for Change.

http://www.gamesforchange.org/
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes wrote: »
    What's the purpose? Oh, I dunno. Picking up kids, getting groceries, driving to work (thinking about stuffy office-type suit wearers), meeting a client, picking up a date, going to a job site (transporting tools etc).

All of these are things which would be a pain-in-the-ass, impossible, or wretchedly embarrassing whilst riding a bicycle or walking.

buy the kids bikes and they'll drive themselves home. you save time.
    groceries fit in a rucksack. i pick up groceries every day like that, and why do you need a car to meet a client? why is going on a date with a bike embarrasing?
    you can have a nice time just walking.

but well, for transporting tools.. yeah, use the car.
    unless those tools fit in a rucksack.
    hah, i've actually managed to pick up a printer/scanner on a bike.
    it was a bit of a stretch, but i managed.
  • Xerilon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xerilon polycounter lvl 13
    This is a character for one of my projects...
    I have the exact same thought about game development as the topic starter :)

Shirt "logo" is taken from Alex Jones website :\

fpedest1b.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buy the kids bikes and they'll drive themselves home. you save time.
    I hear kids on the freeway with bikes is a hoot and a half for everyone involved.
    groceries fit in a rucksack. i pick up groceries every day like that
    Said the single guy that has one mouth to feed.
    Why is going on a date with a bike embarrasing?
    you can have a nice time just walking.
    Because changing out of your sweaty bike cloths in front of your dates house after pedaling 20 miles to get there is embarrassing.
    Because she's probably not too keen on being 4ht date friendly with your bike light on the 1st date.
    Because walking around her neighborhood looking for a family that's BBQ'ing says you're cheap and lazy.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    That's because our entire society is based on making people that give a shit ashamed of themselves, apparently...

People all over the world get their food every day for their families without using cars. It's because the U.S. is built to force you to use cars, force you to feel stupid about riding a bike, force you to use freeways. Spread everyone out, don't know your neighbors, don't know yourself...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I agree. It would be awesome if we where able to restructure our society in a way that allowed us all to live in Earthship style homes in close knit communities.

People do care, and are changing things just doesn't happen over night like most of us want. All any of us can really do is make the right choices when we can and encourage others to do the same.

Or... be an evil bastard and set off some kind of cataclysmic event that resets society overnight. At least my hours of Fallout3 training will not go unused AND I bet I can find a robot dealer willing to sell me a bot to carry all my stuff! Sweet! Someone do it!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    This thread is going nowhere good.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree what kind of idiot would even bother replying to this.....
    ....DOH! :poly127:
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I hear kids on the freeway with bikes is a hoot and a half for everyone involved.

use one of these then:

0000031776.jpg
    Said the single guy that has one mouth to feed.

i can get half a week worth of chow down into a regular rucksack.

Because changing out of your sweaty bike cloths in front of your dates house after pedaling 20 miles to get there is embarrassing.
    Because she's probably not too keen on being 4ht date friendly with your bike light on the 1st date.

20 miles? jeez, what kind of country has people living 20 miles from everything...
    take the damn bus then.
    Because walking around her neighborhood looking for a family that's BBQ'ing says you're cheap and lazy.

walking around the neighbourhood?
    is there no places to eat in the vicinity of where you live in the US?
    here in norway, i'm a 20 minute walk away from everything.
    well go ahead, stay snobbish. lazy? biking everywhere says you're lazy?
    what kind of backwards thinking is that?
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    jocose wrote: »
    I agree what kind of idiot would even bother replying to this.....
    ....DOH! :poly127:

Then why did you reply?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    20 miles? jeez, what kind of country has people living 20 miles from everything...
    take the damn bus then.

The USA. and public transportation is almost non-existant outside of cities.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    You have to take into consideration that one US state is about the size of an entire European country with less population.

Towns are not packed next to each other. As Asherr said, there is no public transportation to speak of outside of major cities. It takes me a half tank of gas to visit my parents and Asherr and come back to my aparment, roughly 170 mile roundtrip.

And from my hometown and where Asherr lives it is more like 30-40 miles to anything of interest. Even stuff within 5 miles would be a fairly difficult foot travel due to the hills/mountains and there are no real pedestrian routes to such places. Walking or biking along the highway is dangerous with the coal truck and other similar type traffic. And who wants to walk 6 miles to McDonald's? Our grocery stores are set up for buying large amounts at one time. Having worked cashier at a typical Walmart, the average grocery purchases were 75-100$ per week for a two to three person family. Trust me, I saw the same families every week. That's only at Walmart, I'm sure they also bought groceries at Kroger or one of the smaller chains littered around. Oh and we don't have butchers, vegetable and fruit stores, bread shops or other fresh selling separated dedicated entities.

Don't speak of moving.. upward mobility is very limited.
    Minimum wage is HALF of what it is elsewhere, jobs are limited.
    What someone pays for one month of rent in Seattle would carry me through two or three months of ALL expenses.
    Gas prices may be higher elsewhere but we drive 2-3 times as much and have much less income.

That's probably a fairly typical summary of the Appalachian/rural US life.
    This comes from having lived in the state of Kentucky for 29 years, general observation of the region, and from some of the research I helped a professor compile while attending graduate school. It was a survey of the arts in east KY, which the living conditions, education and economy have a vital part in.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    And a side note, bicycling on the sidewalks here in town is actually ILLEGAL.
    Bikers have to ride in the main roads with the traffic, who 99% of the time have no regard to their safety or pedestrians.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    . . . What's wrong with a 30-40 mile bicycle ride? That's the fun part for me, especially when you get lost.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I ride my bike along a path through the woods to visit my father. Takes five minutes. If I drove, it'd take a good 20 minutes to go all the way around. Lazy!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    hipster chics love dudes that go on bike dates with them... and they get drunk and put out!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Then why did you reply?

It was a joke....sigh

that's why there was the "DOH" at the end. Get it?

...some people
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn you jocose!!!! you fucker!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    And a side note, bicycling on the sidewalks here in town is actually ILLEGAL.
    Bikers have to ride in the main roads with the traffic, who 99% of the time have no regard to their safety or pedestrians.

fried jesus christ on a spit, what the hell is wrong with your country!?
    no wonder USA has the highest percentage of fat people in the world.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    fried jesus christ on a spit, what the hell is wrong with your country!?
    no wonder USA has the highest percentage of fat people in the world.

actually i think that has to do with the fact that all you other people are dirt poor while us Americans sit in our castles and feast on the worlds finest cusine all day!!!

no?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly there isn't a night that goes by I don't take the time to laugh at the third world, the undernourished, and the generally less deserving.

As an American geography is meaningless, as is nutrition When the rapture comes Jesus will come take us all away anyways so we can pretty much do whatever we want.

...and that kids is why America is the greatest country ever.

*sarcasm*
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't wait for JC to come and take all these assholes out of my country so i can party in satan's kingdom and have no one to intervene with all the awesome tits, booze, heavy metal and debauchery that will ensue in the US.

jocose and I will rule all the land. I will have a mighty cape and scepter. Jocose will have a slightly smaller one.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i don't know a single person with a license and a car available who will walk a distance when they can't be bothered ... or it's pissing it down ... or they've got something even slightly cumbersome to pick up at the other end

i'm not saying it's right, i'm saying get a license, and then see what happens to you