Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Random High Poly Stuff

Flewda
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Flewda polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys,

I did some modeling the last month or two in some spare time here and there, and forgot to post them as WIPS :( so here they are. Just some randmoness.

High Poly 1911
m1911_hp.jpg

Low Poly Version
m1911_rt.jpg

I have no effing clue what this thing is, it was based off a reference image, it's very bizarre, but I thought it looked cool.
wall_engine.jpg

Door - Wanted to get some practice doing those frilly leaf type designs.
door.jpg

Wall Light - This was made to get some practice using ZBrush on hard surface things, it had been a while since I used ZB.
lamp.jpg

Fountain - Again, just some more ZBrush practice. It was really fun to take on something more organic than I usually do.
tree.jpg

Furniture Cart - A friend of mine sent me an image of this thing, and I loved it, I had to give it a shot. I know the wood grain sculpting is far too excessive, but it was fun practice :)
cart.jpg

Low Poly IED - This was made based off some random scrap metal on CGTextures.com, but I turned it into an Improvised Explosive Device for fun. I made a high poly for it, but it's rather boring and bland, so not worth posting :-P
ied_lp.jpg

Thanks for taking a peek. I hope to get some more stuff going and promise to post WIPs.

Replies

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff Josh. :D
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant work man. :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That IED is fantastic, great work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool stuff!
    I don't think the wood grain on that cart is too excessive, I find that sort of detail holds up much better when transferred to a normal-map - usually exaggerating stuff like that is better than making it too subtle anyway, especially if the material is meant to be fairly worn / old.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, that wood grain actually looks good! I've recently been practicing Zbrush a bit lately. How'd you make your wood grain sculpting anyhow? Or I guess a better question would be, did you resort to the brushes or did you go with alphas for the most part on that?

Also, all your high poly stuff is sub-d? If so, nice job on all of that. I at least understand how it works, but still need much more practice with it when it comes to certain forms and shapes.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    really cool stuff, i dis-agree with MoP if its intended to be baked as ive always had to overexagerate wood grain to get the same effect once baked
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    really cool stuff, i dis-agree with MoP if its intended to be baked as ive always had to overexagerate wood grain to get the same effect once baked

Maybe you should read what I said again, it sounds like you're actually agreeing with me? :)
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff! Love the Colt.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    whoops sorry MoP, need more sleep
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Thanks for the comments guys. You bring up a good point MoP. The wood is definitely supposed to be aged, so the cracks and grain would be more noticeable anyway.

G3L - I mixed both my own strokes with alphas for the wood grain. I'd say about 20% of it is my own sculpting. I mostly focused on the major cracks because I wanted them to not only be on the top, but carry on to the sides of the board, and follow a specific path. So anything major was done by hand. Then I would do my alpha pass on it with all of the other subtle cracks/grain. Then would go through, and just go over some of the cracks (from the alpha) and exaggerate them a bit more by using some additional strokes. I also was sure to make the alpha pass and my stroke pass on separate layers, so I could control the intensity (if not straight up erase them) later on.

And yes, everything there was Sub-D.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the okay to post some Red Faction Guerrilla pieces I did. There's only a couple, so rather than make a new thread, just thought I would throw them up in here.

DISCLAIMER*** The majority of these were created in 2006, so they are quite old. Ordinarily I wouldn't probably even show these, but since the game just released, I thought it would be cool to show.

IED - I don't believe this design made it into the final game. - Concept by Todd Marshall
    rfg_ied.jpg

Shotgun - A shotgun that is carried by I believe a rebel/outcast group. Normals created in Photoshop - Concept by Todd Marshall
    m-shotgun.jpg

EDF APC - Again, not sure if this one actually made it in the release (if it did I am sure it was revisited by another artist). The normal map was generated entirely in Photoshop. - Concept by Todd Marshall
    rfg_apc.jpg

Miner RPG - This was really fun to work on, and it was a great collabarative piece between myself, Todd Marshall, and the lead animator on the project. I believe the final version had some texture tweaks made by another artist, but this image is the texture I created for it.
    rfg_rpg.jpg

Again, this stuff is pretty old, I've learned so much since then, and would love to be tackling stuff like this with my current knowledge. As I mentioned, a lot of the times I did work that didn't have any high poly models, just hand painted stuff in Photoshop, so the techniques were also a bit dated. However, it was still fun to work on this stuff, and I am thrilled to hear about all the great reviews the game is getting. Mad props to the guys over at Volition for shipping an incredible game!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Actually Josh I rebuilt the hammer, RPG, and shotgun from scratch. The hammer in that screenshot is actually the rebuilt version.

edit:VV not a problem, I don't believe you had any way of knowing :) The hammer is just about identical on an aesthetic level, the rebuild was just for a better normal bake/polycount/UVs. I'm actually hoping to get off my lazy ass and post my work on RFG soon, but I've been busy playing multiplayer.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, looks pretty identical to me, especially the texture. I apologize for posting your work on the hammer, had no idea.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15