Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Paul Presley

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
whats_true polycounter lvl 15
So, I'm graduating From AI Orange County in 2 week. I guess its that time to put my portfolio up.

www.3dpaul.com

Any thoughts?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad!

Presentation is ok, nothing wrong there. Images loaded fast and the fly-through of the level embedded was a nice touch, I thought, although maybe make it HD or higher res if you can.

The work you show is consistent and competent. From what I can see there's nothing particularly spectacular, nothing that really makes me stop in my tracks and go "wow!", but that's not to say that there's nothing good here. It's all done to a fairly high standard of quality and there's nothing that caught my eye as particularly weak.

The Warhammer gate is probably my favourite individual asset, the end result is good, but the fact that you have a part of a level there entirely modelled, textured, lit and laid out in a map editor is probably your strongest selling point right now. Like I say, I'd definitely try to get an HD video up in place of the current one to really show it off at its best.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work, you shouldn't have trboule finding a decent gig.

Although I would put an html version of your resume up.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    You probably just made a new standard for portfolios with the flying through the levels vid which was indeed a nice touch everyone will steal it ;).
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MoP

Know of a Good compression program? It could use a good sharpening to it for sure. Thanks for the general crit too. I'm trying to get better at this, one model at a time. I have new projects in the work to which is pushing the high poly boundaries for me. Will post it when I'm allowed to ;]

JDinges
    I took the HTML off cause it looked like crap and was a pain to get right using TXTBoxes and stuff. :\ Will give it another go.

$!nz

:D
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm very impressed with your Fly Throughs, True. Keep it up and good luck at the Portfolio show! Meet some new friends!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice work dude! your art looks very nice, you definitely need to work on your camera work ;p
    good luck finding a job, you'll have no problem there.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great portfolio! I agree that your camera work was a bit jerky, but the level was very nice. I think my favorite piece was the military garage - fantastic lighting!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff.

The city flythrough is by far your best piece and as others have stated the camera could use some work. Why not just fraps a runthrough? Ditch the camera and just run around your environment. It doesn't seem like your camera deviated from eye level anyway...

I'd ditch all your props but the hammer and the props from your video. Less is more. You've got enough really solid peices, once you've shown that you can do good work people will start looking for flaws, just ditch the flawed peices and your portfolio will be that much stronger.

Some minor nit picks:

Your gate's symmetrical. The skulls you have would be more interesting if they were looking in different directions rather than being perfectly symetrical. You can easily rotate 'em by selecting the bulk of a head and doing a soft select with a small fadeoff, then rotating the heads one by one.

There's some pretty bad texture stretching on the car support beams in the second autoshop pic, you might want to photoshop that out.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very sick Paul :) I can't believe you finished that city, you just raised the bar for a lot of entry environment artists including myself, awesome job. If anything (as others have said) just fix the camera work a bit, clean smooth transitions will most likely make the entire experience much better.

I love the fountain as well, the spec on it makes it seem a bit "fantasy" like which gives it some cool character.

I wish you luck man!
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Good job. Keep us posted on what gig you land since it looks like you should do well finding one.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ditto..good stuff..you should pick up a gig without any trouble
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    excellent! i bet you're just destroying your peers at AIOC
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Nothing to crit that hasn't been said earlier. There are a few spelling errors though :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sick. Didn't expect this to go back to the top lol.

For the Camera

I initially did a run through, but it was just to stop and go, stop and go. Nothing smooth in it. I went for a camera cause it was smoother, but bloody, if you key it at a certain point, the thing does a 360 spin and goes nuts! I tweeked it as much as I could to smooth that out and to get rid of that weird bug. I'll give it another pass this week to smooth out those errors.

@BUSYROBOT
    Totally man! I've already seen other cats work, but it will still be fun. Gona put that City on a big screen and let people have a run through it!

@killingpeople
    Thanks man. Me hopes I can land something close to home. OC is nice this time of year lol

@3DLee
    That was a old piece, hence its near the back hehe. I wish I still had the files for it, as I would have posed more screen shots of it!

@crazyfingers
    Thanks for the crit mate. I moved the lamp props near the C3 section with the props I worked with for that project and will take out the Alioscopy stuff tomarrow. I think for the gate, I guess I can go back to it. Its not a huge change after all.

@JasonLavoie
    haha, thanks man! You keep at it yourself. You dragon prop looks Killer! Just needs a environment to put it in!

@HellMark
    Will do man! I like your shield btw!

@low odor
    :]

@Pope Adam
    *no comment*

@monkeyboy_garth
    WERE DANG IT!

ANYWHO....thanks for the responses guys. I hope to have another scene up by the end of next friday. Gona be all high-poly, cinamatic stuff. Definatly a different twist to what I'm used to doing.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Dragon Prop... i have a dragon prop!!!??... sweeeeeeet.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah, woops. Was referring to the wrong cat ^_^

Well, if you don't have one, I DEMAND YOU MAKE ONE!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Paul,

Nice work. For the video flythrough (or the next one you make) if you use the console command "showhud" you can get rid of the UT3 interface and just have the environment.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    @monkeyboy_garth
    WERE DANG IT!

Right here :)

Just run your text through a word processor...should help to clear most mistakes...
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    you've got some nice work in your portfolio. good luck finding a job
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    At the risk of sounding cliche,... the warhammer gate is awsome :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Absolutely stunning. Excellent work on that city OP, jaw dropper seeing you made the whole thing. RESPECT
  • zacko9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice portfolio. I especially like the Japanese city and gate . Good luck with the portfolio show and bring lots of coffee, if it's anything like AI - Chicago's show, it's gonna be a long day :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    heh....Pauls been graduated and employed for a bit now ;)

Still got a great portfolio for inspiration and all that!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, was hopeing this would die, but it hasnt haha.

-Yes, I have a job.
    -Yes, I graduated.
    -Yes, Portfolio show was long as a mo-fo.
    -Yes, Ott is a sexy man in IRL

Anyhow, thanks again cats haha. That is all!