Home Technical Talk

Need help and advice.

Hey fellow polycounters!

So heres me in a nut shell.... I have been modeling for about 2-3 years now and have worked in a small production studio doing modeling for a kids show type deal.

Recently was laid off and yea the job search continues... I have been so use to modeling detail and high poly for movie quality, but the whole reason I went to school for was to get into games.

But certain opportunities came and I ended up where I am.

I wanna do game modeling and texturing, but have no clue where to start but to just model low poly stuff.

I use Maya and have never used Max, cause I hear Max is used in more game studios.

So should I start learning Max?

I use a Mac, is there any program for Mac to help with normal maps?

How do you do normal maps for game assets? zbrush or bake?

Best advice for trying to get into game modeling..

Please guys if you can help me get a general idea I would GREATLY appreciate it.. I want to get into games more than ever now.

Replies

• Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hey buddy, sorry to hear about the job. That job gave you experience though which is great, and will really help you towards landing a job in the gaming industry.

As for modeling. Best advice I can give is to watch some tutorials. http://eat3d.com/ seems to be a great place. Despite being a modeler in the industry for three years now I still like watching some of these tutorials, because you always seem to learn something new.

Check out portfolios of modelers that work in the industry. Try and duplicate the quality of work you see in these portfolios. Push your self to do better and better. Posting here is great for critiques and help.

Chances are if you are going to land a job with a major studio in the gaming industry you will be using a PC and not a Mac. Most studios will use both Max, Maya, Modo etc... A model is a model, all that matters is the end result in game. How ever some studios would disagree and use only one modeling package. That said I would say learn Max because you know Maya already and it wouldn't hurt :)

This whole thing was probably mashed together while I watch the F1 race and type this reply haha. Anyways best of luck mang!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Hey fellow polycounters!
    I have been so use to modeling detail and high poly for movie quality, but the whole reason I went to school for was to get into games.
    Good news. Most of that high poly stuff is still applicable, because high poly models are made for almost everything in games now anyway, for normal mapping. So you've already got half the process covered.
    How do you do normal maps for game assets? zbrush or bake?
    Zbrush, then bake.

There's no Max for Mac, but I hear a lot of studios are using Maya too. (I'm basing that on job listings that mention it.) Probably worth it to switch to PC though anyway, just because that's what you'll probably end up using at work.
  • Heathmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly_soup wrote: »
    Zbrush, then bake.

There's no Max for Mac, but I hear a lot of studios are using Maya too. (I'm basing that on job listings that mention it.) Probably worth it to switch to PC though anyway, just because that's what you'll probably end up using at work.

Aye glad i have a some zbrush tutorials...

As for the PC thing, I do have a PC I just have my Maya and Photoshop on my Mac... So I am not foreign or against PCs... Just happen to be on my Mac more...

Another question... I see models in here with like triangles mostly modeled into the mesh. Is this a way you should model for games or let the program your using convert the mesh into tris for you?

Also any other certain tutorials or references you guys would refer me to?

Just trying to get a huge idea of what i need to be doing.:thumbup: