Home Technical Talk

art test clarification

I'm a bit confused as to the texture specifications of an art test I was looking at. The art test is for 3 small environment props that have similar attributes to them.

"Texture Limit: 2 1024x1024 texture sets (or equivalent texture space) including seperate diffuse, normal, and specular. Note that since these objects can be close to the viewer, please maintain a pixel density of at least 1024 pixels per 3 meters."

When they say, "2 1024x1024 texture sets" does that mean 1 2048X1024 per diffuse, normal, and specular? Or does "2 1024x1024 texture sets" take into account the second UV set for the light map?
Also, what does 1024 pixels per 3 meters mean? I use maya and I have no idea how to take that into account.

Any assistance with this would be most appreciated. :)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not entirely sure what they mean by "2 1024x1024 texture sets" - that implies that if you're making 3 props, you can spread them across 2 1024x1024s. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean you can use a 2048x1024 for a single prop.
    Also if they don't mention lightmaps at all then I wouldn't assume they are taking that into account with the budget, especially since a 1024x1024 for a lightmap on 3 small props is a bit insane.

With "pixel density of 1024 per 3 metres", this is quite easy and you should be able to work it out yourself. It doesn't matter what application you're modelling in.
    For example if you're making a large door model that is 3 metres (9 feet) tall, then it should use a 1024px high texture, since 1024px = 3 metres.

Therefore a 1.5 metre high crate or prop would need at least a 512px high texture to cover that vertical area. As long as you know the scale of your object then it's easy to work out (either set your working units in Maya to metres, or just say that "10 units = 1 metre" so 3 metres is 30 units, and use that as a baseline for scale when modelling.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    What mop said. think they just mean a texture set = diffuse, spec, normal, etc. so two sets is just two 1024s with all the workings for all three assets