Home Technical Talk

Navigation problem... Help my thumb

veradv
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
veradv polycounter lvl 9
Hi all,
I use maya,

Because i have assigned custom Hotboxes to "A", "D" and "F" key, my fingers are place on them always, then i have to bend my thumb to hold the Alt button. My thumb ache after keeping this position for a long time.:(

XSI style with holding down S+L/M/R mouse buttons suit me quick well, so i attempt to change to that in maya, but i couldn't find somewhere for redefining Alt key to "S" key in Hotkey Editor.

If i don't edit the windows registry or use keyboard remapping apps, how ca i do that? Does the MEL/ Python script can help?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What about R,T,U instead? That should work fine ...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Let yer other thumb handle alt ( get a mouse with extra buttons to map alt to )

been looking to get some foot pedals to map hotkeys to as well.
  • BuCC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foot pedals? I've never heard of those. Cool.

Alternatively you can go all the way and invest in one of those facial recognition wares instead? That way you can add hotkeys to flaring nostrels, raising eyebrows and earwiggles ^^
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Yea maybe implement something like natal for your PC to recognize each movement in your body as a hotkey, so while were working it actually looks like we are dancing.
    And then some people will invent a way to actually make the dance look decent, and produce amazing artwork at the same time!

More exercise, less RSI, win.

Anyway to the topic poster, I know you are looking for a non-3rd-party solution but if you cant find one then I recommend http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ for simple keyboard remapping that doesnt take up any resources.

Or another solution, dont use alt with your thumb. Actually you just gave me a good idea to improve efficiency for myself, I got into a bad habit of using alt by moving my hand down from the QWERTY area when I could replace caps lock with alt instead. Thanks :)
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    BuCC wrote: »
    Foot pedals? I've never heard of those. Cool.

Alternatively you can go all the way and invest in one of those facial recognition wares instead? That way you can add hotkeys to flaring nostrels, raising eyebrows and earwiggles ^^

one with a foot mouse
    ( dunno how usefull a foot mouse would be? a carpal tunnel recovery alternative? )
    footm1.gif