Home Technical Talk

I need help doing my first low poly char! (500 tris)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, Im new and I am assigned to do a low poly ( 500 tris or less with a 128x128 texture) human male with realistic proportions.

I did a couple 3d characters before but they were all in the 7000+ tris so this is really new to me, and sure looks fun to do too :D

I was browsing a thread earlier where you guys did really awesome low poly characters and here are my questions:

1- what format do you use for the texture, jpeg, bmp?
2- Do you usually do the texture bigger and you shrink it after for better quality? If so is there a usual size to use for that?
3- Is there any tutorial for making a human male low poly around here? I checked around and couldnt find one :(

I believe this is it for now, I hope to get some help ! I really need it!

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    ultralowpoly doent need edgeloops since its usually unlit
    texture depends on your needs, but at this low resolution i recomend working on real resolution, because downsizing requires rework afterwards
    3 dunno, maybe
    im doing fine using old midpoly models reducing them tillim satisfied
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    1.) doesn't matter as long as the final result looks nice. I would ditch however JPEG since it always comes with artifacts or visual compression. Go with BMP, PNG TIFF or anything that does not visual compress and is easy for you to work with for example in Photoshop.

2.) depends on the style,- if you want to have crispy pixel art for your texture then probably not. I might also easier to optimize right from the start if you know the final resolution to start with the resolution and not resize it afterwards. Because pixel aliasing is often key in low poly textures.

3.) dont know,- but just look at the models- often you should be able to figure out how the faces were layouted.
    In some cases people here even offer a SDK (dunno the long term anymore but its a skinable model for people to practice their texturing jobs often on low poly models). here is a google search that might help you further
    http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_enDE305DE305&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=polycount+low+poly+SDK
    and the famous polycount SDK thread:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=38292
    you can study those models and perhaps learn some tricks on how to save faces in a elegant way.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    1. I use .tga for everything. It saves alphas and pretty much is the standard as far as I know.

2. I would say definitely do not use bigger texture sizes and downsize. If you are painting correctly, you will be using a 1 pixel brush most of the time, and if you down size it will make everything blurry and horrible. Remember its all about making things read well from a distance, so you will really have to push the contrast (lights and darks) to get things to stand out correctly.

3. I was thinking of making a tutorial myself, because there is certainly a lack of good tutorials on the subject, and this is something I believe has been discussed on PC before. You could always learn from my own struggle with developing low poly characters in this thread. This was from last year, don't judge me! :)http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55616

Demon Princess pretty much linked me to the majority of the tutorials on the subject in that thread so its worth a look I think.
  • Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
    thanks a lot for the help guys, answeres my questions :). However I could still have a couple problems with the mesh but Ill update this post if I do.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    let me guess gameloft art test? good luck.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) TGA, is uncompressed and thanks to a horrible mishandling of its opacity info way back when, it has an extra channel.

2) For something that small paint at res.

3) So many ways to skin that cat... Joints are probably going to be a key thing to focus on so think of how it will deform. The rest is just fleshing out the details.